San Diego in Mid July

Search

San Diego in Mid July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego in Mid July

My family will be flying to San Diego, CA on July 13th, and we will stay until the 18th. We will be in the Hotel del Coronado. Our plans for the trip are not too put together, but we would like to see the zoo, drive somewhere out of the city that is beautiful but convenient (I have heard of so many places!!), and do some things in La Jolla (pronounced la-hoya?).

We are also interested in Horton plaza...and is there anything to do in the Gaslamp Quarter?

We are also considering driving up to LA just for a day to set eyes on it and maybe see a TV show taping.

Thank you for your comments! I am looking forward to the trip!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:23 PM

Yes: la HOYa. That would make a nice half-day trip, and the zoo is a major must-see--it's magnificent and can easily absorb an entire day.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:07 AM

As you are staying at the "Hotel Del", I think you'll be disappointed in Horton Plaza and the Gas Lamp Quarter.
Fio's my fav restaurant there closed earlier this year.
Check out the San Diego Magazine and Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com) for restaurants, things to see and do, etc.
Also, I got a Ford Focus rental for $13. per day + ($45. and change for 3 days U/L mi, but NO MX) thru TA.
Balboa Park adjacent to the wonderful zoo has lots of interesting stuff.
We liked Thee Bungalow and 3rd Corner for dinner in Ocean Beach in Mid May (they both have great wine lists with some really good obscure stuff on the lower end). George's at the Cove in LaJolla is VVG, but a bit pricey. A Sunday B'Fast at a small place on 5th Street N of downtown almost to University "HashHaus" served large portions of amazing creations - each enough for two as you'll see waiting in the "short" que.
Check out the LaValencia Hot. in LaJolla - their B'Fast is VG also.
The Wild Animal Park is neat, especially the evening train excursions when the critters become more active.
Have you considered an Albacore fishing trip?
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:30 AM

Hi MellowFellow. At the Del, you will be IN some place (just) out of the city that's beautiful. Why drive elsewhere?? Seriously, if you have a day in La Jolla and a day in LA that's plenty IMO. If you have kids, they might like Mission Beach too. There are a lot of museums in Balboa Park, some of which the kids might enjoy like the Automotive or the Air & Space museum. It's really a beautiful park. You could easily spend 2 days there, one for the zoo and another at the park itself.

There is a tourist "tram" that hits all the "high spots" including Coronado (where you could get on), the Gas Lamp district, Seaport Village (shops & restaurants) etc.

I enjoyed a breakfast at a place in La Jolla called the Brockton Villa. It's right across from the beach. It's a funky little place with views at every table, inside and out. Good French toast. After eating, you can have a walk along the water and see the seals sunning themselves.

Mikemo which rental place did your TA use for that great car deal??
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM

mclaurie,
I'll have to go back on line to reconstruct my cc statement.
Yes it was a great deal, but I wanted to drive to Ensenada to look at real estate which was prohibido.
It was billed as "City rent a car", but check www.tripadvisor.com - the location was just E of the A/P going up the hill toward RT 5 on the right on Laurel.
AH, PAYLESS!
Lo siento, my brain takes a while to engage.
M
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:59 AM
ltt

personally, i would suggest skipping the trip to la. san diego is such a wonderful city. with only 5 day's you'll find plenty to do there. if you want to take a drive one day, i'd recommend going up the coast road to laguna beach (1 hr 15-30 minutes). you'll pass through a bunch of towns along the beautiful drive and then you can spend a few hours in laguna. drive home via freeway 5.
the biggest mistake most visitors make (and regret later) is that they try to plan too much in their visit and in hind sight wish they'd just had more unscheduled time.