San Diego in January?

Search

San Diego in January?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego in January?

What do you guys think about one week in San Diego in January. Will we be able to divide our time between sitting on the beach and doing "city" stuff. And what about a car?
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM

I went for a week last January and enjoyed myself immensely. However it was too cool for the beach during my stay. The primary reason I responded was to mention to you the Hotel Sofia is offering some major discounts for rooms. You might want to check that out for the "city" portion of your visit.

I did not have a car. The transportation system downtown is fine, however if you want to go to La Jolla and out of town, I recommend you get a car.

Have a good time, it is a wonderful city!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM

It depends upon what you plan on wearing while sitting on the beach.
Even today while the sun is out, I'm still wearing sleeves.
San Diego is a beautiful city and January can be a great month to be here. There is no garauntee that the weather will be as nice but it's only cold enough for a heavy coat 2-4 days a year.

What kind of city stuff do you want to do?
I think the zoo is best during the colder months because the animals are more active.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Hope I can help here..

I'm an SD native and i think Jan is a great time to visit because all the heavy tourist traffic is gone so you can experience SD without the crowds and traffic (well, there is always traffic

In SD, Jan and Feb are usually our coldest months with a day of rain here and there so I don't think the beach will be a place you want to really factor into your plans. Like someone mentioned above if you wear a light sweater and jeans you can take a nice walk on the beach but I don't think Jan will provide laying out weather.

Living here my entire life I would SUGGEST STRONGLY on getting a CAR! Why public trans. here is subpar.

Hope this helps

Hill
www.edufire.com
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Wife and I are both natives and we love January too..please get a rental car.
Our transit system is horrific..trolley is great but doesn't really get you to the tourist areas.
There are a lot of great hotel deals right now for the 4-5*.
Expedia is a good indicator for prices.
I don't know how much sitting on the beach you will be doing but La Jolla/Del Mar are gorgeous areas and the Gaslamp area downtown has some great hotels.
I love the Hotel Solamar, Omni or the US Grant.
Have a good time.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM

My first thought is to rent a car while your here, like the others San Diegans, I think public transpo is horrible.
But, I've read other visitors who say it's easy enough to get around here.
Where do you plan to go?
Wild Animal Park? Car
La Jolla/ Torrey Pines/ Del Mar? Car

Balboa Park, Coronado? you may not need one.

Tell us more, please
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Tower 23 is a hip new Hotel right on teh beach at Life Guard Tower 23 in Pacicif Beach. you can watch beach, from balcony or walk right outside & if you get chilly walk right back to your room...

Nice Bar area JRDN restaurant top in town and quick drive to La Jolla or downtown. But you need a car.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Actually, Tower 23 is several years old now, but I also recommend it and JRDN restaurant. good food, very hip, and right on the boardwalk

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM

I would highly recommend a car; especially for a one week trip. There's so much to see and do and you need a vehicle to cover all that ground.

I agree with the hotels the others have recommended here. Depends on your style preferences....Tower 23 is kinda hip and cool and beachy, Hotel Solamar is serene and elegant and trendy and downtown and U.S. Grant is more old world elegant.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Our public transit system is not "horrific", but it can take a long time to get from a to b, especially if you have to change buses. The Trolley is very useful for downtown and Mission Valley.

However, as you will only be here for a few days, you'd be able to make better use of your time with a car.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM

If you're planning on staying downtown, you need to plan on paying for parking.
You may only need a car for a couple of days if you stay downtown because the zoo and coronado can be reached easily via public transpo.

Now, while I think having a car is essential for San Diego, I'm a native and have lived here most of my life. It might be like asking us for hotel help.

But I've read someone's trip report (?) where they didn't have a car here, and got around fine because they only went to the sights. If driving is a big deal to the OP they should check out other options. Personally, I'd like not to put another driver on the 805 if we can help it.

Since the OP hasn't been back, it doesn't matter.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I live in La Jolla and truly the water is too cold for swimming although the locals enjoy it with a wet suit. Nonetheless, walking the beach and exploring the city is a vacation in itself. If you stay downtown, you can get around easily. But if you want to visit La Jolla or Del Mar, a car would make it easier. Lots of museums, lots of shows and lots of good restaurants await you! It is a beautiful city.