Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego Hotels/Resorts on or near the beach close to everything such as shopping, resturants, nightlife, and of course the beach??

Search

San Diego Hotels/Resorts on or near the beach close to everything such as shopping, resturants, nightlife, and of course the beach??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some quick help for recommendations as to where my husband and I should stay for our 2nd anniversary in San Diego in early August? My husband has never been and my last trip to SD was about 15 years ago so we are pretty much clueless as to where to stay. We do hope to find a nice hotel or resort on or near the beach, close to shopping, good resturants, night life, etc.. Unfortunately, we are on a budget so we would like to stay around the $150.00 range, which I have a feeling this won't get us very far but any info given is greatly appreciated and this trip is a suprise to my husband too so I wish we could afford the luxury resorts but it just is not in the cards at this time. We plan on going for a long weekend getaway so 4 nights 5 days is the plan thus far. Thanks so much for your thoughts in advance.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:28 PM

I'm not sure it fits your budget, but the Paradise Point Resort in Mission Bay is great. The location is perfect -- close to everything, and the resort is very nice.

www.paradisepoint.com
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gekko!
Thanks so much for your recs but I went and checked out Paradise Point and it is a little to pricey for us but looks beautiful. Is there any other recommendations that you can think of that may be cheaper but nice?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, no. I've visited SD several times, but I've only stayed at Paradise Point and the Hotel Del (and it's more expensive than PP).

Good Luck!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Have you tried looking at biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com to see what kind of prices you can get on Priceline (or maybe Hotwire)?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Priceline is the only way you will get a room in that price range near the beach. The Travelodge in La Jolla is running around $180 a night and that is about the lowest you'll find during that time in August.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:42 PM
hsv

I agree with others that USD 150.00 is a bit tight for meeting your demands.

However, San Diego is easy to navigate and driving times are refreshingly short. This said, you might not feel let down upon my suggestion to look into some Hotels a bit further from downtown and the beach.
I twice stayed in San Diego on sort of the same budget (at least I decided that I did not want to spend more on lodging) and was quite satified with Del Mar for a location.
There are the Del Mar Hilton and the Doubletree Del Mar. Both of which should be in your price range. The beach is just a short drive of 3 minutes (Hilton) and 10 min. max. (Doubletree) away.
The Doubletree has free parking and is located adjacent to two freeways, so in their nicely landscaped pool area you hear some street noise, but the rooms are quiet and overall the hotel is a good value in the S.D. area. The Hilton was very nice once I stayed there and its location, although one exit further from town, might be a bit better, but at another visit I was not satisfied with my room. However I heard that they had undergone renovations since then, you might want to inquire at the hotel (or here from some other knowledgable traveller).
The drive to downtown and the Gaslamp for some fun at night would take about 15 minutes via the close-by Freeway and La Jolla is within easy reach, too.
It is a compromise, of course, but one I'd be able to live with easily.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Del Mar is a good choice and has some hotels closer to the beach than the Hilton or Doubletree. From either of those, you'd have to drive to the beach and the shopping/restaurants in Del Mar proper, along Camino Del Mar. The Best Western Stratford Inn Del Mar is in your price range and they have a room available early August. It's an average second tier motel, but it is within walking distance of the beach and the small shopping/restaurant area of "downtown" Del Mar, at 15th Street and Camino Del Mar. And close to the best beach in San Diego County, Torrey Pines.

But there's no nightlife in Del Mar, for that you'd go to Pacific Beach.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:01 AM
hsv

sequoia is spot on!
I had forgotten about the BW Stratford Inn, which is perfectly fine for what it is.
Plus, the center of Del Mar with some nice shops and restaurants (Il Fornaio in Del Mar Plaza shopping mall and Jake's for example) is still within walking distance if I remember correctly.
And: The beach is Del Mar is really beautiful IMHO.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:02 AM
hsv

sequoia,
excuse me for repeting the part about walking distance - I hadn't read properly!
Have a nice weekend!
hsv
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the input I will look into your suggestions. Thanks again for being so helpful!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:21 AM
ltt

i'm not sure what this is going for these days. it's not fancy by any means but it is right on the beach and watching the sunsets from your balcony makes up for the non-fancy rooms http://www.surfermotorlodge.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM

o to tripadvisor.com for some really good ideas. You could try the Bahia,where we stayed, had a suite but you might get something cheap. Also the Catamaran in Pacific Beach. There is a hotel called the Pacific Terrace on the beach that many people recommend. Search, and you will find