San Diego: Gourmet Food Store?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in San Diego for a few days and will have a kitchen so would like to do some cooking. Does anyone have suggestions as to where to go buy groceries (meat, cheese, produce, baked goods) that is a step above Ralphs and Whole Foods?
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Where are you staying?
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Your standards are very high if Whole Foods is not good enough
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:06 AM

There is a Bristol Farms in La Jolla:

http://www.bristolfarms.com/locations/lajolla.html

Also a Whole Foods down the street on Nobel and the I5. Also Trader Joes.

In Little Italy there are Italian markets. And up north, in Carlsbad, there is Tip Top meats, Eurpean market and restaurant that serves a killer breakfast...

Will any of these do?
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
TahitiTams

I like Jonathan's in downtown LJ..

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM

hi tahiti
i was just at jonathon's (it's been awhile since i was there) and i was surprised that it has been bought out by another store.
i noticed they don't seem to have much variety anymore especially in the produce dept.
what are your thoughts?
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM
TahitiTams

Hi nana..
Chris and his family have owned it for a couple of years and yes I agree its not the same when the Mabee's owned it.
I would still considered it a gourmet market.
I think between Trader's, Costco and a local farmers market, that's gourmet to me!

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM

yes tahiti it is still nice, but has lost something. thanks for the info.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I might be wrong, but I think that Jonathans and Harvest Ranch were bought out by the same company that owns Bristol Farms. Or something like that. If you look on their grocery bag they advertize all of those stores...but they all have different things to offer. I love Harvest Ranch's hummus, especially the red pepper. And their curry chicken salad is about the best I have ever tasted...
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM

TahitiTams-I was thinking of Jonathons that's why I asked the OP where they were staying. If LA9004 is not staying in La Jolla, they'd have to do some driving since that seems to be where most of the upscale grocers are located. Whole Foods is pretty good to me!!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM

I think Whole Foods is probably the best we can do in San Diego. That is one thing I miss about Portland - there are wonderful small, locally owned specialty shops (for produce, cheese, etc.) that are truly upscale.
San Diego needs some places like that.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, everyone. For some reason my husband just doesn't like Whole Foods. I am OK with it but prefer Bristol Farms.

Anyone have any opinions on Siesel's Old Fashioned Meat and the fish store next to it? Do they sell things besides meat?

Paula-I will be in the downtown area.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can buy excellent fish at the Fish Market restaurant. They have an actual fish market there too.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
TahitiTams

Seisel's has been around for along time in Bay Park..good meats..
If you are staying in the Gaslamp area, I would go to Little Italy and grab all the things you need..
Have fun in SD!

littleitalysd.com
gaslamp.org

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM
TahitiTams

Sorry for the typo..Siesel's

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Are you coming from LA? If you are and you are so picky about your food, why not just pack what you need and cruise the local farmers markets on Thursdays, Saturdays and some Sundays? the food is NOT that different from LA. Most of the top chefs in the area head up to Rancho Santa Fe to "Chinos" farmers market. Do you really want to cook with all the great restaurants around the area?
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 02:31 AM

Seisels was bought about 2 years ago by the Cohn family. In my opinion, its not as good as it used to be. The meat is still above average, but they raised the prices and occasionally I get a piece that not is like what Marv Seisel used to have.

Cheese-Vennisimo Cheese on Washington and Falcon Street in Mission Hills is excellent. A great and thorough selection. They close at 5 p.m.

Baked Goods_Since you are downtown, I would go to Bread on Market (on Market Street btwn 7th and 8th or between 7th and 6th). They are closed on Sundays. If a Padre game is in town, then they are open until 7 p.m., otherwise it is 6 p.m. Great bread, cupcakes, scones.

Another local favorite for baked goods is Baked by Etta-she has been around forever and is located on Goldfinch/Reynard Way in IMission Hills. She closes at 2 p.m By the way Mission Hills is very close to downtown.

Also try Extraordinary desserts on Union St. downtown.

Produce-As mentioned above, Chinos in North County is the farmers stand that put Alice Waters and the slow food movement on the map. If you don't want to drive to North County then visit one of the many farmers markets held each day in San Diego. The biggest one of them is in Hillcrest at the DMV parking lot on Normal street held on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. You will not be dissapointed with the offerings.

Pasta-As pthers have mentioned, Little Italy is a fun place to pick up some supplies- Asenti's on India Street makes all their own pasta and sauces.

Fish-Although the place next to Seisel's is good, the better choice is Point Lomas Seafood. It is incredibly fresh.

Hope this is helpful. I would also just wander around the Gaslamp area-new places are popping up all the time.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM

itsv, you and I must have the same tastebuds. Don't go to a Padre game without a sandwich from Bread on Market. Their turkey, bacon and avocado on faccacia bread is the best on the planet.

And Point Loma Seafoods has the best fish and prices anywhere. View isn't too bad either. Try, if you haven't, the crab sandwich on sour dough. I am addicted to it...
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Nice list ITSV - I've put some of your suggestions on my list.

Also want to add Bread & Cie on 3rd and University which has excellent breads an baked goods. Next door is Peets Coffee.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Weird posting problem: I posted 8/25/07 12:48 but does not show up until I click on "Post My Reply".

Anyway Bristol Farms University Town Center, (UTC La Jolla side of I 5 freeway, same strip mall as Roy's restaturantacross teh street from UTC shoping Mall..about 15-2 min easy drive from downtown San Diego without rush hour.)is your best bet unless you want to drive all other place.
They have a great bakery, Bread & Cie bread, nice meats, fish and some very nice & unusual produce...

You could visit LA Jolla proper and on the way back shop at the Bristol Farms.

BTW, I don't think Whole Foods is gourmet either..and tehy use soy based products alot which isn't to my taste either...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -