Reload this Page >

San Diego: First time to CA w/family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Patty

Just began researching a possible April 2003 (Easter time) family vacation to San Diego.
Family includes myself, hubby & 2 sons, ages 14 & 16. We're from the Northeast. Myself and sons have never been to California.

Is swimming in the Pacific a possibility in April, or is it too cold? (Remember, we're from the NE, so air/water temps above 70 degrees are warm to us!) I'm sure sons would love to try surfing. Any recommendations for where we could take them for lessons?

I've determined that definite activities will be: SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park, Coronado and/or Mission Beach.
(I have not purchased a tour guide book as of yet, but plan to.)
As long as this forum is here, I thought I would post for your opinions now.

We will fly into SD and rent a car. Ideally, the least amount of driving we have to do would be best! I've read here about Embassy Suites on the bay. Is this the downtown ES people refer to here? Sounds like you can walk to many places from this hotel.
What advice do you have for me?
Thank you in advance!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Joe

Wow, one year in advance planning.

Swimming is always a possibility, but our water rarely gets 70 except maybe Aug. The air will not be that hot yet (65 and raining today) so the differnece should make it tolerable. Try: www.surfshot.com for beach info.

Do not miss Torrey Pines State Reserve for terrific hiking trails on bluffs above a great beach. La Jolla Shores is still the best family beach in the county. There are plenty surf shops close that will teach surfing.

Personally, I would stay at the beach and not downtown, but downtown is very convenient for the Zoo and Balboa Park. Downtown can be nasty to navigate and parking is expensive. I wouldn't want that hassle every "in and out" of the hotel.

Regarding your driving comment, San Diego is most definitely a driving destination. Can't avoid it unless you stay on Cornado and take cabs or hotel shuttles to your destinations.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:29 AM
xxx

i too would recommend staying near pacific or mission beach. more fun for kids that age. there's a great boardwalk so you can rent bikes or blades, go to the beach for sunsets, lots of restaurants around. if you've never seen a show like it, i'd recommend sea world. don't plan too much...biggest mistake people make is not allowing enough time just to hang out at the various beaches.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
jd

We loved the Embassy Suites-the rooms are large and the extra room was great w/2 teens.Trolly stops nearby and takes you to any of the major attractions, including Coronado and the zoo.Ask for a room overlooking
the bay

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:39 PM
joesd

Hate to disappoint you but water temps in April are usually in the mid to high 50's. Today the water temp was 57 and the air temp was 64 high at PB. April, May and June are usually very overcast within 2 miles of the coast. Often times the sun will come out after 12:00 if we're lucky. We have a saying here in SD- grey May and June gloom. April is usually the same. They don't tell you this stuff in books though. Your sons will need a 3mm (1/4") full wetsuit which you can buy for cheap at local used sports goods and pawn shops in PB.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Patty

Thank you all for the responses!

I must admit, I was a bit disappointed to learn about the weather and air and water temps for April in San Diego. Very surprising!! (When I think of California, I think sunny and warm.)

After enduring a northeastern winter, we need a warm, sunny destination for our spring break. We've been to Florida, and SC several times. Was just looking for something new & different.
My search continues....

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
xxx

these days i wouldn't put too much into past weather patterns since it's been a little crazy sometimes.
april days can be very nice beach weather - not swimming but enjoying the beach. like you said, it will feel wonderful coming from the ne.
if you want to guarantee some heat, drive the 2 1/4 hours to palm springs for a night or two and enjoy the pool & heat there.