Reload this Page >

San Diego Downtown Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Ron

I am attending a convention in March for five days. Plan to bring wife and 2 teens. I am looking at Embassy Suites. Read some pros and cons in Fodors travel. Any experience or suggestions at any downtown hotels would be appreciated. Any suggestions of things to do with teens?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:56 AM
xxx

have had no personal experience with downtown hotels. had a friend stay at the pan pacific once and liked it. downtown can be a little seedy sometimes so be aware where your going.
how old are the kids?
around downtown:
seaport village which has a bunch of shops
could go on a harbour cruise or may be time for whale watching season - if they like boats, it's fun to go out even if you don't see whales
take the ferry over to coronado and spend some time out there
hang out on mission or pacific beach - they can rent boogie boards (water is a little chilly for me then but tourists still go in)
drive up the coast - great pizza place in solona beach called pizza port - west side of highway

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:05 AM
karie

check out the hilton/gaslamp district. i was pleasantly surprised. the teens could go at will into the gaslamp area, movies and shopping at horton plaza, or over to the marina. the hotel is very nice. great pool!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:58 AM
Suzie

Stayed in the Embassy Suites a couple of years ago. It was quite convenient to Horton Plaza, Gaslamp District, train stops (which we took to old town) and to the waterfront. We enjoyed ourselves very much. Rooms are like every Embassy suites and come with cocktail hour and free breakfast.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:13 AM
ann

hi,
re. the San Diego Embassy Suites -- I really think it depends how picky you are... the rooms are clean, fairly roomy, but they look like they need an update fairly badly...the public areas are fine and the hotel location good. (Personally, if someone told me I was staying there again, I sure wouldn't jump up and down, but I wouldn't cringe either...). & If I could, I'd look for something else, perhaps the Marriott across the street or the Hyatt or the new Hilton...
good luck!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:43 AM
Leah

Ron, We stayed the this Embassy Suites for a week this pas summer with our 15 yr old son and 24 yr old daughter. Location is exceptional!! Our room was very typical of an Embassy Suites. We had LOTS of room to move around. Our room did not show any wear and tear, and was very nice. I would recommend this hotel withour hesitation and would love to go back again. An extremely enjoyable trip!!! You will have a great time. Leah

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 12:30 PM
Rosemary

Don't know the Embassy Suites, but in January we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and can recommend it as something a bit different. They've restored a 1920's Bank building and made it into a hotel. They've kept the very impressive foyer with the old bank fixtures, breakfast is served in there. The meeting rooms in the basement utilise the original bank vault. Rooms are pretty standard, fine for a downtown hotel. The address is 530 Broadway, the Gaslamp district starts just across the street and Horton Plaza (see above post) is just a few blocks away - also the train is just a block away too.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:01 PM
Ron

Appreciate all the info! I will do more reseach and find the best deal.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:11 PM
j

Hi Ron, if you would have time,Horton Theater on 4th has a play Triple Espresso, absolutely hilarious. Joyce