San Diego /Coronado-- car needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out I'm going to San Diego for a conference next week and can't wait! I'm planning to take 1 1/2 days extra to see some of the town and would like to visit Coronado Island in particular since my Dad lived there in the 1930s. Nothing in my guidebook says whether I need a car to do Coronado. My downtown hotel is not far from the ferry (1 or 2 trolley stops). Do I need to rent a car? Would like to see the hotel and also the silver strand beach recommended by my Dad. Also if it's open to the public North Island. Appreciate any help. Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Best to see Coronado and the silver strand is with a bike,should not be tough to rent one.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM

However, if you don't want to bike, a car would be the next best thing.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I know, North Island is not open to the public.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM

We were at Coronado last month - we did walk, from the ferry landing to the Hotel Del and beach - it was about a 30-45 minute fairly brisk walk there - we had an early lunch at one of the restuarants right at the ferry landing - then we walked to the Del - but along the way we enjoyed seeing Frank Baums house and a few other sites in the guidebook - it would have been quicker with a car or bicycle, but you can walk it if you are a walker - we walked all through the hotel, esp the historical area with memorabilia, there is a nice cafe, outdoor seating area, walked the beach a bit, and walked back to the ferry landing
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! This is really helpful for making my plans -- and I've added Frank Baum's house to my list to see.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
nlg

When we were in San Diego last year we took the Old Town Trolley tour and it stops in Coronado(near the Del). We walked to the Del and ate lunch and walked on the beach. The trolley stops at many places and you can get on and off and stay as long as you want to-the trolley comes by the stops every 20 minutes or so.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM

If you are staying in the downtown area, ask your hotel the easiest way to get to the Embarcadaro. Take the passenger ferry over to Coronado. You will land at a little area where there are shops, look for the bike rental shop and rent one for the day. Coronado is only about a mile by two and is flat.
You can bike down to the Hotel Del, the beach, up or down Orange Ave (the main drag) and have a wonderful day.

I love Tent City Restaurant (at 10th and Orange). At night you might check out the Lambs Players Theatre on Orange Ave.
I also like Miguel's Mexican Restaurant. Just ask the local's they will direct you. Everything is within walking or biking distance.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:36 PM

I also recommend coming on the foot ferry or a bus, then renting a bike, if you know how to ride one! It is very safe in Coronado...the streets are wide and cars drive fairly slow. A car will work too. Just try not to get caught in rush hour- entering Coronado 6:30- 8 AM or leaving from about 3-5.

Do you want a tour route? Here is my fav route:
If you rent a bike at the ferry landing, go east/south onto the bike path along the waterfront. Ride under the Coronado bridge (and thank my mom, who spearheaded the construction of the path), then the path will end on Glorietta Blvd at the golf course. You can turn left here and ride along Glorietta, or go a little further inland and make your left turn on either Pomona or A Ave to cruise by many charming homes.

once you get up to the Del, turn west and cruise along the beach on 0cean Blvd. You will end up at the back gate to North Island, but unless you arrange it in advance or have a Navy friend, you won't be allowed to enter the base. (and if you do, you'll need to enter through the gate on Third Street and Alameda).

Go back to the Del, have lunch and explore, then you can head down the Silver Strand to the beach park. It is fairly long way, and you'll be on a pretty busy highway, but for part of the way at least, there is a bike path.

Heading back, you can again go along A,B,C or even along 0range AVe. It is hard to get lost In Coronado. The north/ South roads are "A" to J Avenues (the main street, 0range is between "C" & "D"), and the east/west streets are First to Tenth Street. There are some curly streets along the perimeter, but don't worry, they are short.

If you do want to get on North Island, you might try calling the Base Commander and see if they'll allow you on. You'll be able to see all the piers from the pedestrian ferry, but the central and residential areas on the base are very nice.

Have fun! I was there in Mid March and again the first week in April and the weather was just wonderful!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 06:24 AM

To go onto North Island Naval Base, go to the main gate on Fourth Street & Alameda and ask the Marine or Navy Guard to point you to the office to get a pass. It's next to the entrance. You can ask at the desk if they have ship tours.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM

It's seriously windy in San Diego today. I sure wouldn't want to be on a bike! But hopefully it will be better by the time you're here.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Nanabee! The entrance gate at Third has been open for about a year now!! But you are half right... the actual visitor pass building is in the same spot closer to Fourth. Enter the parking area from Third, though.

Next time I come to SD, I'm making you take me on base for a trip down memory lane!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Hi Lcuy! I forgot about the new 3rd Street entrance. Yes, how about a day at the O Club pool? I wonder if the bowling alley is still there?
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM

yum and if the bowling alley is there, do they still have those great french fries? Those set the gold standard for my life!