San Diego: Best Shopping, Best Sights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi friends... Heading to SD on Friday for a long weekend that includes running the Carlsbad Half Marathon!

So excited to run after seven months of training. Along the way, my BFF and I intend on soaking up all that SD has to offer.

We're staying in Pacific Beach at the Catamaran, and have booked a whale watching excursion (Sat AM) and a massage (Mon AM). The race is Sunday AM. We plan on following the race with sips on local suds, and then a late dinner at George's California Modern in La Jolla.

Beyond that, we plan on doing some shopping, dining and sight seeing. That's where I'd love your help!

1) What are some of the best "buys" in San Diego? In London it's tea, spices and porcelain trios... in India it's textiles and gems. What shopping finds are native to San Diego?

2) What are some of the can't-miss sights? I think I'm inclined to pass on the zoo, as I am coming from Cincinnati, and we have one of the best zoos in the U.S.

3) Besides In-N-Out (gotta get my fix when out west!) , what are some of the must-visit bars or restaurants that would give me a great flavor for San Diego/Southern CA.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 06:17 AM

The Aircraft Carrier Midway
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Geesh: Best buys in San Diego? You are making me scratch my head - but two good shopping areas in Mission Valley are the more upscale Fashion Valley SC - by Interstate 8 and 163, and just east of there for the Mission Valley SC - which has more bargain type outlets.

And you might enjoy visiting the Gaslamp area downtown - with a lot of restaurants and night spots (mainly along 4, 5th - the most - and 6th - and Old Town is also fun to walk around. Perhaps one of San Diego's "best buys" - Mexican food - and at the Old Town Mexican Cafe - where you can watch the women make the tortillas through the front windows.

Also - if you like fish - down along the Embarcadero - next to the Midway is the Fish Market - which is about as good as it gets - and upstairs they have a gourmet optino - the Top of the Market. Of course, Anthony's fishette is also fun - and if you like a bit of history - the Star of India is nearby - a classic sailing ship - of the "Tea Clipper" class.

Oh - for a bit more laid back/funky - go to Newport Ave in Ocean Beach.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Uno Mas: Driving over the beautiful bridge to Coronado is fun/scenic - and walking around downtown Coronado and seeing the famous Hotel Del is great. Think of the old movie - Some Like it Hot - with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053291/
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM

Since you are staying at the Catamaran (which you will soon find that there onsite lounge bar with live music is amazing), walking up and down Mission Blvd and the boardwalk will be filled with tons of local shopping opportunity. Head south to Belmont Park and ride the rollercoaster but dont leave until you stopped into Hurricanes and had their signature drink. Be sure to hit up The Mission (3795 Mission Blvd) for an amazing and inexpensive breakfast.

If you want upscale shopping that isnt a mall, head to the Pearl District in La Jolla where there are great designer boutiques and excentric shoppes. You can do the same in Del Mar around the intersection of Camino Del Mar and 13th Street; if you head there, plan to eat at Bully's (and try the prime rib). If you are heading to Carlsbad, they have a weekend market in downtown Carlsbad that is like a little street faire; great home made trinkets and hand carved furniture and so on. If you want a real bargain and want to shop like the locals do, head down to Kobey's Swap Meet located in the parking of the San Diego Sports Arena.

Other great eats include, Dick's Last Resort (caution, they're rude on purpose!), T's Cafe off HWY 101 in Solana Beach for the best beakfast and bloody mary's in town (the pancakes are so big, they hang over the plate); if you like Japanese food and Sushi; for cheap, go to Tokyo House on Garnet in Pacific Beach; for upscale, go to Nobu downtown on 5th Ave in the Gaslamp Quarter,eat at The Strip Club (no nude dancers, pick your own cut and have your steak grilled in front of you or grill it yourself!)

Must See: Balboa Park (eat at The Prado), Sunset Cliffs (and stop into Shades Oceanfront Bistro in Ocean Beach), Old Town (eat at Old Town Mexican Cafe), Seaport Village (and ferry over to Coronado Island), Flamenco Dance Dinner at Show at Cafe Sevilla (Gaslamp)....

IF NOTHING ELSE, GO TO RUBIO'S BAJA GRILL (chain) AND EAT A BAJA FISH TACO!!!! If you have never had one, you must try. Everyone I know who had never tried one always said, "eww, that just doesnt sound good..." and after one bite all I heard was "mmmmmmmmmm".
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:10 AM

I agree with the recommendations for the USS Midway and the museums of Balboa Park.