San Diego-best beach-April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Rhonda

Hi,

We're thinking of a trip with our 3 kids to San Diego at the end of April.Would this be beach weather? Very important to us. If so, what would be the best hotel (3 or 4 stars) on the best beach? Must be water sports available (jet skis, etc.) for my 15 year old son. Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 11:33 AM
paul

I think that the best beach weather in San Diego is July - September. April is not prime time in my opinion. The weather could be on the cool side and the water will definitely be rather cold. A nice hotel for you may be the Mission Bay Hilton if you want to be on the bay rather than on the ocean. The Hilton has the watersports you are looking for and its a very nice hotel.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 12:10 PM
susan

We went to San Diego in June expecting warm, sunny days. Boy were we surprised! We hadn't heard of June gloom at the time, but I can assure you in June it was cool most of the time and cold other times. I had to buy a heavy sweatshirt that I wore nearly everywhere.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Joe

Personally, there is no bad time to visit the beaches in San Diego. The beaches here are gorgeous and (mostly) spacious. If your intent is to frolic in the waves, you will want to wait until late July through September.

I personally do not like Mission, Pacific, and Ocean they are usually crowded and parking is a pain. My favorites are Torrey Pines State beach, La Jolla shores, and Coronado.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:26 PM
biskit

Hi Rhonda

I live in SD and the best time to go to the beach (if you want to get in the water!) is July - September. Weather in April should be in the 70's for the most part, which is great for tanning but you will definitely need wetsuits if you plan to go in. I would recommend any hotel in Coronado - it has the most beautiful, family-oriented beach and never any pesky kelp!