San Diego beaches during July 4th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in San Diego on the 4th of July and are trying to plan the day. We were thinking of arriving at a beach at 7am to secure a parking spot and staying at the beach all day and well into the evening for the fireworks show. We’ll be there 15-16 hours when all is said and done. That being said, we want to make sure we are at a beach where we will have access to restrooms and restaurants or some type of food establishment, etc. Between La Jolla Shores and the Del Coronado beach, which would you recommend and why?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Both beaches you mention are very nice. As far as I know, neither has a fireworks display. You may not take alcohol to either beach, or any other beach in San Diego.

Coronado is a fun place to spend the Fourth. They have a parade in the morning and fireworks at 9pm in Glorietta Bay. The Navy Seals usually do something too. Check the town's web site for details. You definitely need to arrive early.

La Jolla Shores is also a great beach, VERY crowded on the Fourth. There are some good places to eat close by, and there are restrooms. There's also a parking lot, not just street parking. I don't know where the closest fireworks are, sorry.

It's very likely that there will be fewer displays than usual this year due to the economy.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:45 AM

I have not watched fireworks in almost 12 years in San Diego - did they stop the display at the Cove Barbara? We use to go down and watch them there... I believe you could see them from La Jolla Shores. I would go to Corando having said that because there is more to walk around and do there then if you are at the Shores.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM

I've never gone to La Jolla for fireworks, so I just don't know. If there are some at the Cove, then you should be able to see them from the Shores.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM

My information is OLD...so please verify (to the OP).... and again, I would go to Cororando
- La Jolla shores is off from the village of La Jolla - there are a few shops and places to eat but nothing like in Coronado for that long of a day...
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM

LJ Cove still has fireworks at 9pm..that can be seen from the Shores..
How about renting a room across from the cove (LJ Cove suites) for the night since 15-16 hours is way too much time hanging out in the sun..then you have parking and you can roam around and go to the beach at your leisure and the fireworks are across the street.

www.lajollacove.com
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

ok, so it looks like we're going to the hotel del for the 4th & then later in the day, we'll head back to our hotel, westin san diego & then we'll head down to the harbor for the firework show. we're planning to head to la jolla shores on july 5th.

on the 4th, will traffic be crazy heading over the bridge to the del at 7am? can we bring our own chairs to the beach? should we plan to pay for parking?

thanks again for all the input!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM

Are you at the Westin in the Gaslamp?

If so, your best bet is to water taxi over from downtown to Coronado..$5-6 pp and its a lovely water ride.

Traffic is a huge nightmare for the 4th everywhere near the beach in SD, so the water taxi is the best bet..you need transportation or rent bikes to get the Del..its a good walk..doable though.

Get a high enough hotel floor and you can watch all the fireworks or close to it from your room!

LJ Shores is great for swimming, snorkeling and kayaking..
Have one of the best deli sandwiches at The Cheese Shop or Jeff's burgers..Piatti's and The Shores restaurant is oceanfront and good.

www.sdhe.com
www.ljkayak.com
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM

sorry..here is the right website.

www.lajollakayak.com
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

We'll be staying at the Westin San Diego, which I believe is a few blocks away from the Westin Gaslamp.

We were planning on bringing chairs to the beach, which may be hard to transport by foot or on a bike. If we take the water taxi over, are there any taxi's that could take us to the Del?
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:35 AM

Wow thats a long day.

My experience at crowded So Cal beaches is somewhat consistent. Parking is hard to find 9:30 to about 3 pm. I think you can take a break for a few hours(around 12?) and return to the beach between 4 and 5. Often at 5, you will get the evening crowd parking for dinner
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:40 AM

Borababe - I stayed at that hotel in Feb for 3 nights - I had a good experience there. Enjoy. I think you are in for a long day on the 4th but enjoy! Is there a reason you are going to La Jolla Shores on the 5th? There are many wonderful beaches in San Diego that outshine that one imo.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM

Like the other native San Diegans, I haven't been to the beach to watch fireworks in many years. I hope this is some help to you Borababe.

But wouldn't Coronado or Mission Beach be better for firework displays? She could see the firework displays from either beach. Both would have plenty of places nearby to eat or take out. (Mission Beach would be a little handier)

Securing a parking spot is only part of it. Someone would have to stay and watch your stuff while someone else makes a food and beverage run. No Alcohol on our beaches anymore.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM

There's a big fireworks display on the Bay. Good idea to go back to your hotel in the late afternoon. Be careful you don't fall asleep and miss the show!

Frank, parking on the Fourth of July is a nightmare.If you leave your spot in the middle of the day, you probably won't find another spot later. People go to the beach for the whole day. The last time we did that, when my kids were a lot younger,we arrived at the beach at 8:30am (Torrey Pines State Beach) and were lucky to get a space.

borababe, LSky is absolutely correct about not leaving your stuff unattended. I think the parade on Coronado starts at 9am or so. Traffic may be heavy even at 7am.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM

I have taken beach chairs on the water taxi but you can't bring the kitchen sink..you might be able to rent all that stuff when you are at the Del.
From bikes, sedgeways to taxis and bus transport...there is generally no problem with getting to and from Coronado to the Del.
Westin Gaslamp is next to Horton Plaza..great location in the Gaslamp.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM

I believe they are staying at the one that is down Broadway a little - not the one right at Horton Plaza. We stayed there in Feb. with Starwood points. I was happy with the stay. Nothing great but nothing bad either . Good walking distance to everything... lovely views if you are on the side that faces the bay. The staff was very good. The parking is VERY expensive so if you do not need to have a rental car (sounds like you do) I would pass.