Search

San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego

We (couple in mid 60's)will be staying in LaJolla from 11/24 through 12/1. We want to "see the tourist sights" in San Diego/LaJolla area and plan to have a car only part of the time. Is there public transit? What is don't miss and what is accessible using public transit?
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:00 AM
ssm

San Diego has a pretty good trolley system. Depending upon where you are staying, the trolley could get you around to a lot of the tourist areas.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM

We just returned. Stayed downtown though where the trolley runs to all the tourist sites but I'm not sure about the La Jolla area. I guess it depends on your likes what a "must see" would be. We enjoyed the Westgate Hotel and the sand floor bar at the W Hotel, seaport village (mostly shops & eateries), the Midway carrier, Old Town, the Zoo & especially Prado restaurant in Balboa Park, Coronado Island & seeing The Del...all in 3 days!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Find out where to catch the sightseeing trolley tour, that gives you a narrarated guide and drive to the best spots - i.e., Balboa park, the zoo, Old Town, Coronado and such. www.trolleytours.com
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:10 AM

The Old Town Trolley tours, which are a franchise/chain of tour buses that operate in different cities, does not include La Jolla in their set route.

If you're looking for straight transportation, I wouldn't recommend the Trolley Tours, as the fare for two adults will run you $50 - more than enough money to cover cab fare to the destinations they cover (without the wait for the next bus).

Once upon a time, the Trolley meant the San Diego Trolley, our light rail public transit that has been around for over 20 years.

So when you're asking about "The Trolley", any local would direct you to a train station, and not a tour bus.

As far as your stay in La Jolla goes, you're better off with a rental, as public trans is available, but sparse.

When you're in town getting around to many of the most popular attractions (the zoo, balboa park, gaslamp quarter, old town, horton plaza, the hotel del coronado) can be easily and effectively done with trains and buses (www.sdcommute.com) and readily available and affordable cabs.