Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Antonio, Schlitterbahn, and Austin Itenary

May 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

My husband and I are planning on going on a road trip from San Antonio to Austin. Our boys are 7 and 9, and we may be taking our 16 year old nephew. I need help with the itenarary and this board never fails to help - so here goes!

DAY 1 - San Antonio - we have done the Riverwalk with them several times, but they were younger and I don't know how much they remember. I planned on spending a few hours on the Riverwalk and going to the Rainforest Cafe (we have never been to one) and seeing Ripley's Haunted Adventure. We went to the Wax Museum and the Believe it or Not place last time.

Day 2/3 - Schitterbahn - I have been, but none of the others have. I am assuming we will stay all day and pack a lunch to save on money. What are the lines like on a Thursday and should we plan on going one day or two? They love water stuff, but is 2 days too much? What should we do in the evening and are there any reasonable hotels in the area? Any fun restaurants?

Day 3 or 4 - Austin. Any suggestions? My other nephew lives there (attends UT) and so we will be meeting up with him. I have been to Austin several times but never with the boys. What is there to do with kids? I was considering Texas Museum, Dave and Boster's, or the Main Event. What else can we do with kids there?

Also is there a drive through zoo in the area? We went to Carlsbad a couple of months ago, so caverns are out. Any other suggestions?

May 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM

We've done a walking ghost tour several times in SA. I'm sure you will find brochures for it at your hotel. The meeting spot is in front of the Alamo. I'm not sure if your younger ones are suited for it or not. I do remember seeing many kids on our tours.

The food at the Rainforest Cafe isn't known to be wonderful. I've not been to the SA location, but I've been to two others. Unless that really appeals to your younger ones, I'd select something else.

May 29th, 2006, 10:55 AM
P_M

Hi there. I can answer some of your questions about Austin.

The Texas Museum is a very good idea, and don't miss the IMAX. Most kids do like Dave & Busters. Another popular tourist attracation is the Captiol Building. Entrance and tours are free. Barton Springs is a popular swimming hole formed by natural springs, but that 68 degree water is a bit chilly.

There is indeed a drive-thru zoo located between SA and Austin:

http://www.wildliferanchtexas.com/home.html

Among my favorite lakefront restaurants are Hula Hut and Oasis. These are both fun and very casual in nature. Hula Hut has the best food, but the views from Oasis are stunning and well worth the drive.

http://www.hulahut.com/

http://www.oasis-austin.com/

I don't have kids so I'm not the expert you need, but if I think of anything else, I'll post back.

May 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
P_M

I forgot to tell you:

At the drive through zoo in my post above, you can feed the animals from your car window. This is a lot of fun, but make sure your sun roof is closed, otherwise an ostrich might stick it's head down into the car to steal a bite of food!! That scared the living heck out of me when it happened, but we still laugh about it today.
May 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Hi P_M...Is the Oasis open again?
May 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Regarding the Oasis - an update on their fire last year. On Friday, we headed to the Oasis for drinks as I'd heard the bar area was saved.

Well, that's not the case. The only place to have drinks is on their old parking lot which they've converted to the drink area. There are absolutely no views, only concrete and some tables.

There is an inside eating area, but the rest is all under construction. You can get a tiny peak of the lake from a fence, but it is quite a ways from the cliff's edge.

With only a day or two here in Austin, I'd skip the Oasis. Hula Hut is a great suggestion, lots of fun and pretty darned good food. I especially like the Thai Nachos, nice and spicy! Be sure to eat out on the outside pier area. Pretty funky.

P_M - do you know if the bats are back yet? If they are, head down to the Congress Bridge a short while before sunset. Millions of bats fly out each night, and if I recall, this is around the time they're here.

On Town Lake, the boys would probably enjoy a canoe ride and, as mentioned, a swim in Barton Springs.

When are you coming? I'd be glad to check what's happening when you're here if you'd like. There's always some street fair or music venue you could stop at, etc.

May 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I figured the food at the Rainforest Cafe wasn't very good, but is the atmosphere enough to make up for it? My boys are 7 and 9.
May 29th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

We are planning on going this Wednesday-Saturday or Sunday.

Is one day at Schlitterbahn enough, or do you think 2 days would be better?
May 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM

kopp, I was at the Oasis about a month ago and sat outside on the deck overlooking the lake. Great views as always. I'm confused...have they torn down the decks since a month ago??
May 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
P_M

Hey, kopp, thanks for the update on the Oasis. I remember the fire last year but I thought it would be restored by now, at least partly. We almost drove out there today for lunch but ended up going somewhere else. Now I'm glad we didn't waste our time going out there.

I'm glad kopp brought up the bats, that is a very good idea. I heard on the news that the bats are in town from March through October, so this is a great time of year for bat-watching.

I don't know much about Schlitterbahn, but I hope someone else can help.

May 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Do keep in mind that Dave & Buster's requires an adult to accompany minors at all times.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet are the numerous cavern tours in the area. Natural Bridge is down near San Antonio, and Inner Space is just North of Austin in Georgetown. Your boys will definitely enjoy these!
May 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM

AustinTraveler - that's interesting about the Oasis. All I know is there was a line waiting for tables in the parking lot! We asked where to eat and they said "over there, inside", so we left. It was Friday of Memorial Day Weekend and they were packed, so maybe that is what the problem was. I'll give them a call....be back....
May 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM
trippinkpj

My son (he was 11 when we took him to Austin, liked Barton Springs, the BBQ at Artz Ribhouse & the Ironworks and believe it or not the Capitol. Oh, we watched the bats at sunset from the patio at TGI Fridays which was also a hit.

May 29th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Well, it sure helps to check this board to get information on places in your own community! I'll be darned!

We were given incorrect information on Friday. They should NOT have turned us away, although the wait was probably prohibitive and sunset would have been over before we could have gotten in.

The Starlight Terrace is still open for cliff's edge seating - and get this - it sits about 700 people! The Terrace area is where the old bar used to be.

That's too bad for us as that's really where we had in mind to sit. Oh well. Next time.

Thanks AustinTraveler for the heads-up!
May 29th, 2006, 02:29 PM
trippinkpj

I meant to add, my daughter was 16 at the time and loved all of the above except for the bats, LOL. She's now a law student at UT Austin. She really likes the music scene thereincluding the Cactus Club on campus.

May 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM

kopp, so glad to hear the decks aren't gone!! Yesterday we went to Iguana Grill for the first time. The views of Lake Travis aren't as spectacular as those at the Oasis but I have to say that the food was much better. We went around 3:00 so there was no crowd and we got a table outside. We really enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll go back soon.
May 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM

My kids enjoyed the Witte(??spelling) Museum near the SA Zoo. My kids love Sandy's Hamburgers and their ice cream on Barton Springs Road in Austin. Don't miss swimming in Barton Springs.
May 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great tips.

Can anybody recommend a hotel in the Austin area and one in the New Braunfels area?
May 30th, 2006, 05:03 AM
emd

One more thing. If it was me, I'd do only one day at Schlitterbahn and go that 2nd day to Blanco State Park. There is a swimming area in the Blanco River and it is wonderful, w/two great rope swings from trees that you can use to throw yourself in the river. Great picnicing bu the river also. I did this w/friends and their kids and it was our most fun day in San Antonio. Schlitterbahn is fun but very crowded and I could not stand two days there personally.
May 30th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Just an additional note on the bats. We went down to see them on Sat night, and they were great. This time of year, there is a chance that they don't come out until after sundown, but Sat night they came out at 8:10pm while there was still plenty of light, and so you could see them really well from any location. My 5 year old daughter loved them, and I suspect your older boys would do the same, as it seemed that most of the kids there were in awe. Even if the view isn't great, it's something that you won't see in any other city.

- Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO