San Antonio airport to downtown area--public transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mid-Novemeber we'll be visiting Texas to see relatives, flying into San Antonio. Our plan is to arrive San Antonio airport around lunchtime on a Thursday. Then we want to take a bus into downtown from the airport and spend the rest of that day and until late afternoon on Friday in the downtown area. At that time our relative will come to pick us up for the rest of the trip.

Obviously, we don't want to rent a car, so I have two questions: Is there public transportation from the airport to downtown? We just need to go one way, and we are comfortable with using public transportation. Will we be able to keep ourselves busy in the downtown area for this amount of time? I've read all about the missions etc., but I don't think we want to try those this trip. We enjoy walking, enjoying the general ambience, historic sites etc. We are not shoppers. Thanks much.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM

We took a cab but then we were staying at a hotel there. However, besides the cabs there is a shuttle van service but can't remember the name for sure. Sorry.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:28 PM

San Antonio is an immensely spread out city. Take a taxi to "some place" and let your relatives pick you up. There is a "downtown" but I think the Riverwalk area would suit you better for meeting. The airport really isn't "out there" like other cities. SA is pretty unique in this--HUGE city, maybe 8th largest in the country, and very decentralized. But the Riverwalk is also unique. Spend the afternoon there and enjoy.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Now I guess I need to do a bit of research. Am I hearing that the Riverwalk area (not downtown) is where we would want to locate for an overnight? Is there enough to do in this Riverwalk area for a day and a half, or is everything else so spread apart that the idea of staying in this locale without a car isn't a viable one? And, could we get to Riverwalk with a shuttle or bus? Thanks again.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Gretchen, the Riverwalk is downtown! And SA is the 7th largest city in the US.

julies - you could take the bus from the airport to downtown but would have to schlep to the airport bus stop then once downtown change to one of the streetcars to get to (or close to) your hotel. Taxi would be much easier and faster; fare runs about $20-25 max. There are also shuttles but at $18 pp with more than one person a taxi is a better deal deal and more convenient
You will have no problem filling your time. Weather should be good for strolling then, so amble around historic downtown sites (Alamo, Main Plaza, Governor's Palace, King William area, etc.) or take a barge ride to the SA Museum of Art.
Where will you be staying?
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 04:02 AM

OK, I guess I just don't think of SA as having a very "organized" downtown. AND yes, I alluded to it's size above. I was amazed to discover that when DD lived there. Texas has 3 of the top 10!!