Salem, MA (North Shore) for Thanksgiving's Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Debora

Hi!

Me and my husband are planning to go to the North Shore for Thanksgiving. We'll have 4 days, and would like suggestions: where to stay, where to go, routes, hotels, etc.
What do you think about be based in Salem and make day trips to other spots?
Thank you!

Debora

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Mare

I don't know anything about hotels in Salem, but there are some nice inns in Gloucester and Rockport, some with ocean views. There are lots of scenic ocean drives along Cape Ann. Rockport (in my opinion, the most beautiful town of all) has many unique shops and is home to many artists. I am not, however, sure if they keep their studios open to the public in the winter. You might enjoy stopping at Hammond Castle in the "Magnolia" section of Gloucester. If you go to Magnolia, be sure to drive along Beach Road.

My vote for a not-to-miss site in Salem is the House of Seven Gables. I'm not wild about the other tourist attractions there, mostly "witch" related. (This is coming from someone who worked as an actress in the Salem Witch Dungeon many years ago.) To each his own, I guess.

If you like antiques, head for Essex. Nearby Ipswich also has a castle (I've never been inside) and a very pretty beach, as well as some of the oldest houses in the country.

Marblehead is another quaint seaport, with many interesting small shops--good for Christmas shopping.

It obviously isn't beach weather in Mass in November, but the ocean is what makes the North Shore special. I just bundle up, head for the beach, and enjoy the solitude.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Beth2

Greetings! I think the above post was right on! If you decide to stay in Salem, check out the Hawthorne Hotel. An "antique" hotel right downtown withing walking distance to just about everywhere you'd want to go. If you want to stay conveniently located to the highway, and in a modern hotel, I really like the Peabody Marriott.
I agree that the only "must see" in Salem is Hawthorne's House of 7 Gables, but also like the Witch Museum (not Witch House). The Peabody Essex Museum is also first class. If the Hammond Castle Museum of Gloucester is open in November, you must visit! The views are incredible, and the inside amazing. Rt. 1A through Essex, Ipswich, Manchester-by-the-Sea is a great route. Rockport is great for shopping, and it is a lovely spot. If you decide to day-trip a bit further out one day, visit Newburyport, MA and/or Portsmouth, NH. Boston is also less than an hour away.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Debora

Thank you all very much for the tips!

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 08:24 PM
joe

Recommend Thanksgiving Gourmet Dinner at the York Harbor Inn, about an hour north of Salem on Route 1 in York Maine

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Penny

Yes, the Hawthorne is in a great location. There are also a number of bed and breakfasts in Salem, as well as in adjoining Marblehead, which would be lovely. A friend spent her wedding night at Spraycliff in Marblehead, http://www.spraycliff.com/, and still raves about it (the inn, that is).

Definitely the House of Seven Gables and the Peabody-Essex; Hammond Castle; a drive up 1A through Beverly, Wenham, Hamilton, Essex, and points north; a day in Newburyport or Rockport; part of a day in Gloucester.

If you still have time, I agree with the poster who suggested Portsmouth, NH. Portsmouth has a restored area called Strawbery Banke. I see from their information that they're open around Thanksgiving, but for limited hours. http://www.strawberybanke.org/info/information.html
However, Portsmouth has much else to offer as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Debora

Many, many thanks for all the tips. I'm sure that the trip will be great, thanks to you all!

Best regards,

Debora