safety in Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety in Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington

I am a 20 year old woman from the netherlands planning on traveling the south east of the US in the summer. I would fly to atlanta, take a greyhound bus to Savannah and from there go to Charleston and Wilmington.
What I was wondering if these places are safe for a young woman to travel alone.
in Savannah I would be staying on Oglethorpe Ave.
in charleston I would be staying at the notsohotel on spring street.
in wilmington I would probably be staying on 2nd street.
Are these places safe? and at night? are there places I should avoid?
Also, is it safe to take a taxi in these cities?
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM

In general, you will be as safe in these cities as you would be European cities.

One way to get specific information would be to search what others have written about your hotels on tripadvisor.com. For instance, here is the link to NotSo Hostel in Charleston: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Carolina.html

At night, avoid the same kinds of places you would avoid in European cities.

I can't remember reading anything about it being dangerous to take taxis in the cities you mention. Taxis are well-regulated here.

HTTY
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM

I can only speak to Charleston specifically.

The notsohostel is nice but you may want to find a buddy to walk with you at night. The good thing is there will be lots of others there like you. You can also take a pedicab back at night. The drivers are cute young college guys!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM

The most dangerous part of your trip is riding a Greyhound. With normal precaution, all those cities are safe.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM

And don't forget: summers here at HOT. Be sure to take breaks and drink water before you get thirsty.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 02:58 AM

I would be interested in knowing why you are going to Wilmington. It is nice but not really a beauty spot and lacks the "cool" factor of Asheville, despite the growing movie business. If you are going back to Atlanta to fly out, Asheville would help you close the loop, and it is nestled in the mountains.

Many Americans are afraid to take long distance buses because they are how many poorer Americans travel. I do it a fair bit, and I would not anticipate any trouble, but as a single young woman, you may have men pay unwanted attention. You can probably handle this but you should sit near the front of the bus and can always pretend that you don't speak English.

Another useful thing on long distance train and bus trips is a small can of spray disinfectant like Lysol or antibacterial wipes as the toilets are maintained to various standards. Alcohol based hand disinfectants are everywhere in America and worth using on a trip.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM

As others have said, it's the bus that is the scary part, sad to say. I don't want to alarm you, but you MUST keep your wits about you at all times on that conveyance.
I agree about Wilmington. You will have been to the two star historic towns on the coast. Asheville could well be a good destination.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

I was planning on going to Wilmington to see some places One Tree Hill was filmed, and I would probably take a taxi to the beach. people told me it was beautiful in wilmington. that is why I plannes it. Asheville seems a little far, I was not planning on going back to atlanta. however I can still change my plans! what is in Asheville?
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM

From where are you returning home then?
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I was planning on flying from Wilmington to New York, and then back to the Netherlands from there
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM

You've chosen a beautiful part of our country to visit! As others mentioned, Charleston, Savannah, and Wilmington are all safe cities. However, as a young woman, just keep your wits about you and, when in doubt, take a cab/pedi cab instead of walking by yourself at night.

I think Wilmington is a beautiful town myself. At your age, you could have a lot of fun on Wrightsville beach- fun beach shops, beach bars, etc. A lot of movies do film in Wilmington and it would be a nice change of pace from the historic towns of Savannah and Charleston.

That said, Asheville is a great town too (funky, cool, artsy). It's definitely a mountain town though and will put off a completely different vibe than wilmington. There have been numerous films shot around Asheville though- so that may interest you.

However, I see nothing wrong with your original plan- it's a relatively short drive between Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington. You can always save Asheville for another trip! Best of luck and safe travels!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Have you looked at flights from Wilmington? Were you going to spend some time in NYC also? I ask because, from Wilmington you'll be flying around your thumb to get to NYC (maybe flying to Charlotte, changing planes, etc.), and if you weren't staying in NYC, you might do better flying home from Charlotte.
I guess I sort of wonder now why you are flying into Atlanta. AND do you drive? Your trip could be so much more enjoyable with a car (rather than the bus), but you might be able to fly somewhere closer to Charleston (Charlotte, for example, as a major international hub) and not have such a long initial bus ride.
Maybe we need all your arrangements to be better able to suggest stuff.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Maybe your right.
My complete plans are this:
I am going to work at a summercamp in california for 9 weeks. Since I am part of an organisation they arange my travel to camp, and back home from new york. My visa allows me to travel for 30 days after camp. that is a bit long for me though.
I was planning on flying from San francisco to atlanta, then the greyhound to Savannah, Charleston and wilmington, and then fly from wilmington to new york. there is a flight from wilmington to new york newark. Ill be staying in new york for a couple of days, depending on when the organisation arranges for me to fly back home. So I have to go to new york, because from there I get on an arranged (and by the organisation paid) flight.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

and I don't drive. I don't like driving, it scares me to drive in a country where I don't know the rules and I was told I cannot rent a car because I am not old enough and I have only got my driverrs license for a year.
Also, the choice to fly to atlanta is only based on the idea of savannah being in the same state. I could look into flying in to charlotte.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Customs and immigration is SO much easier in Charlotte. The Atlanta airport is huge and can be confusing. If you can fly into Charlotte I think you'll be glad you did.

Good for you for taking this great trip solo! My email address is shanklemsw at msn dot com. Contact me if you are having trouble or need help while in Charleston.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM

If the OP is coming from CA, Charlotte makes no sense. She already went through customs and immigration at point of entry to the US 2 months earlier. So is she going to take the bus to Savannah from Charlotte? I'd stick with Atlanta -- should be much simpler to find bus station using MARTA from the airport -- if I recall the Greyhound station is right by a MARTA station.

Ackislander gave good tips for bus travel. I would add to schedule trips early morning if possible, and avoiding night travel.

Have fun, you've picked some great places to visit -- not having to have a car is a big plus.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Why doesn't she fly to Charleston? That does make a LOT of sense, now that we know what her support system is.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 02:28 AM

Southwest airlines has service between many California locations and Charleston SC. They are usually cheaper than other airlines. You won't find them on a multi airline search engine you will have to go directly to their website to book.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 03:41 AM

Wow. There you have it!! Good job.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 06:12 AM

If you can manage it, I would definitely suggest flying from California directly into Charleston, Wilmington, or Savannah... you may have to connect somewhere, but it will save you the trouble of greyhounding from ATL. Atlanta is in the northwest part of GA and it's a 4+ hour drive/ride to Savannah. If feasible, see if you can just fly into one of the coastal airports.

Again, I think it will be an awesome experience for you! The lowcountry of Carolina coast is beautiful and completely different than California.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -