Reload this Page >

safe, inexpensive NYC hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Beth

I'm looking for a hotel on the upper West side, close to Central Park and the museum of Natural History. I'm going to be alone, so a safe neighborhood is a must. I'd like to keep the cost around $150. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is the Beacon a nice hotel? Any info on the Newton or Riverside?

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:59 AM
sheri

Hi Beth, I stayed at a new hotel called On the Ave back in November. It's at 77th and Broadway; I had a view of the Museum of Natural History from my room. It was a little more expensive than $150--I think it was $165 or maybe even $185, but I felt the neighborhood was safe and generally thought the hotel was a good value for the price. If you don't get a good rate through the hotel directly, try contacting Hotel Reservations Network--they have a discounted rate with the hotel.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Beth

Hi Sheri,
actually, the hotel reservation network has a great rate, just $109 for the night in question. Thanks for the tip, it looks like a nice place.

I'm also considering the Excelsior on Central Park West at 81st. Has anyone stayed there?

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 07:58 AM
lisa

Beth -- I have a friend who lives just a couple of blocks from the Hotel Beacon and she says it's very nice and that's where she puts people up when they visit her. By the way, that neighborhood is great! They have a website at www.beaconhotel.com

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 04:37 PM
Anthony

Beth:
I love across the st from the Natural History; there are several hotels in the area. You ca try The Excelsior which is on 81st; across the st from the museum.
FYI: The New Planertarium at The Natural History opens on Feb. 19th; It is the most anticipated new building in NY this yr; the most advanced in the world; if you are here when it opens, you should call ahead for advanced reservations.
good , reasonably priced restaurants in
the neighborhood; Time Cafe, Merchants NY, Arties Deli, Ollies, Monsoon; for fancier cusine, try: Avenue, Rain, Savann, Haru

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 04:56 PM
KT

I stayed at the Beacon in 1998 and I'd definitely go back. Not fancy (but then, I don't do fancy) but no complaints, either. It was great having a kitchenette, especially since that block is lined with food shops and Zabar's isn't far.