Sacramento and Atlanta

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Sacramento and Atlanta

Does anyone have comparative knowledge of Metro Atlanta AND Metro Sacramento. I need as much comparison as possible re metro city comparisons. Looking to move from just outside Atlanta to in or near Sacramento.
Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:26 PM

Well - how do you compare any two cities? they are totally different. But somethings:

For California, real estate prices in Sacramento are still affordable. Range from around $160,00 to over 1 million. Many new houses in the low to mid $200,000's. Resale homes will be all over the board - low 100ks to as high as you want to spend.

Lots of open space nearby - parts of Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado and yolo counties are farm and range land.

Schools are hard to generalize - several large school districts with quality all over the board. it is really a neighborhood by neighborhood thing.

Diversity - as in most parts of CA, Hispanics make up the largest minority population, followed by Asians and Afro-Americans. Some areas have large Slavic and Russian populations.

Entertainment and dining - anything you could want. And if you can't find something it is 90 minutes to the SF Bay area and less than 2 hours to Tahoe or Reno.

Sacramento has a MUCH better NBA team. But forget about that since you can't get tickets (every game is sold out). The Raiders and Niners have huge passionate fan bases in the Sacramenyo area.

It can get very hot in the summer - but the hotter is gets the lower the humidity. 19 or 20% is not uncommon. 100F at 25% is MUCH more comfortable than 85F with 90%. No tornados or earthquakes. Thunder storms are very rere.

what else do you want to know.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:11 PM

Okay, I live in Rocklin....which is about 20 minutes from downtown Sacramento. Personnally, I wouldn't live anywhere in Sacramento County (city of Sacramento is in Sacramento Co.). The schools have virtually no funding, roofs caving in on computers during rain storms, overcrowding, ect... Home prices have skyrocketed in the last year. You can buy a home in Sacramento County for $150,000 - $200,000. Carmichael/Fair Oaks areas have the better schools and are higher priced, accordingly.
We bought a house in Rocklin 10 years ago, and it has gone up $60,000 in the last year (not kidding). Schools are fantastic though, and most people are very friendly (I could definately do without the large amounts of people talking on cell-phones and driving). Homes in Placer County (Rocklin, Roseville, Penryn, Loomis) start at $200,000 (very small, cheap), and jump from there. New home, nice neighborhood....$300,000. Add on for a 4 bedroom, pool, spa, ect...
We like living in Placer Co. It's 2 hours to the Ocean, 2 hours to Lake Tahoe, and 1 hour to the closest ski resort. Pollution is getting really bad though. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:16 PM

P.S. -- Weather; It gets HOT. Low humidity or not, it gets flat out....fry an egg on the sidewalk....HOT. We have 1 and 2 week stretches of 105+. We have 3-4 day stretches of 110+.
We have a "swamp box" -- evaperative cooler, and it's the only thing that saves our PG&E bill. Everyone else has $300/month bills, and ours is $115/month. Works great, and we haven't ran our air conditioner in 5 years (not kidding).
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:39 AM

I have lived in Sacramento and was about a week away from buying a home in the "exurbs" of Atlanta a year ago.

Sacramento is much more dense than what you find in Atlanta - kiss those 1+ acre lots goodbye.

Also, referring to the heat I must mention that 110 in Sac is better than 98 in Altanta. I moved from Alabama to Sac and it was fantastic to have such a low level of humidity. You can wear long sleeves when it's warm and not get all sweaty, and drinks don't get the condensation all over the outside. You will find yourself thinking your drink is not cold because there isn't a puddle of water forming around it!

The air is pretty polluted in Sac though, especially the time of year they do the rice burns.

Homes have appreciated a lot in the past few years, as one person mentioned here. My friend who is still there in Citrus Heights has the same story.

Shopping, etc. is very convenient in Sacramento. If you plan to live "out" in those areas, be mindful of the morning commute. The Sacramento traffic situation from that area into the city is not pretty.

General cost of living is more expensive but not staggering.
I hope you find what you're looking for.

Also, the grass is dead in the summer while the trees are green (from drought), and the grass is green in winter while the trees are bare in Winter. Just something you'll notice when you go.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Kal

voyager4201,
Hidy-Ho neighbor! ;-)

I moved to your fair city in '62. A lot of changes, yah? I've since moved on up to the big city. ha.

We should suggest the Hwy 50 corridor for all new comers so we can try and make it across our towns in under 45 mins?!?

I've been back to Atlanta numerous times on business and all of the northen 'burbs are VERY nice..."moon light thru the pines...".

As Quinty said, "kiss those 1 acre+ lots goodbye" unless you are a Sac King.

Still a nice area that we don't plan on leaving anytime soon...unless it's Kauai.
Kal
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:57 PM

I moved from Atlanta (NE inside loop and later Norcross) to Central Valley of California (lived just outside Sacramento metro--went there for shopping, restaurants, airport, etc.)in 1989 and back to Fayette County in 1992 (so my info may be a little dated).

Differences from Atlanta area:
Lack of rain in summer so you can plan outdoor actiity in the evenings almost everyday when it cools down. Fog in winter. Great sunsets.
Without the pines and the rain it isn't as green and lush.
Until you get to the foothills it's quite flat, so the feeling of the surroundings is different.
Close access to SF and Tahoe. Mining Country interesting too for daytrips.
The housing prices are higher and the subdivision styles are different. Smaller lots with houses closer together. Lots of stucco and walls around communities. Some places did have sidewalks and bicycle lanes.
The fresh produce from roadside stands is great.
Crime was a problem when I was there--thefts from homes, armed robberies, etc. always blamed on the drug trade up the Interstate.
Of course, most folks there aren't Southerners so I was disappointed that the neighbors didn't welcome us with muffins and cookies as they and we did in Georgia. We never even saw some of the neighbors on our cul-de-sac. People didn't always say "Hi" or "Good morning" when I passed them on my morning walks. The teenagers didn't call me "ma'am" and hold the doors open for me.
My husband came to the South from New Jersey, then followed me to California--he was the one who insisted we move back to Georgia so soon. He loved the weather and the access to the mountains, but he missed the sweet iced tea and Southern hospitality.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Great website for comparing two cities: www.homefare.com