Search

RV trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:22 PM
linda

RV trip

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of renting an RV next summer and taking our kids and maybe a couple of their friends on a vacation. We haven't decided where to, though. Has anyone every done this sort of thing? What is it like? What do you have to know to make it work?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:32 PM
utahtea

Hi Linda,

I'm a seasoned RV'er. We had a tent-trailer for 5 years, travel trailer for 9 years and our motorhome for the last 9 years. We rented a motorhome once before we bought one. Were you thinking of renting a motorhome or travel trailer?

Motorhomes are not cheap to rent, some will only come with so many miles per day and you could have to pay mileage too. Gas miles in an RV are not that great.

I hope I haven't turned you off to much. Other than the cost, they are SO MUCH FUN! We love traveling in our trailer and motorhome. It is so nice to have your own clean bathroom with you where ever you go. It's wonderful to have a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, & stove to feed a hungry bunch of travelers. We love find the most scenic spot to have our meals. We love not having to pack and unpack all our clothings and belongings every time we move to a different location.

When you rent a motorhome they will probably show you a movie (they skipped it for us because we had had a trailer for 9 years before renting the motorhome) They will show you where everything is and how to do what is necessary. You might go to the library and see if you can find a book on RV lifestyle to get a better idea.

Where were you thinking about traveling to? East coast, west coast, national parks?

Here are links to two of the big RV rental places that I know of.

http://www.elmonte.com/

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Let me know if you have more questions.

Utahtea

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Carolyn

British Columbia, absolutely beautiful. Try the Penticton Area, down to Vancouver and then take the ferry to Victoria. $$ is worth more too.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:08 AM
steve

My family rented an RV in Alaska this summer. We enjoyed it. I think in Alaska it is a cheaper way to go than renting a car and using hotels. In the lower 48, I'm not sure that would be the case.

I would recommend renting one for a weekend to try it out. That is something we had meant to do but didn't. As a result, we were somewhat nervous when viewing the 45 minute video at the rental office. It showed everything that could go wrong and showed all the things to do in such a short time that it was overwhelming.

When we got on the road, it all got worked out. My wife did the driving, I did the navigating and was the outside man when we needed to back up.

We had a 30' Tioga. It was ok for us - husband, wife, boys 12 & 14. Pay close attention to the sleeping arrangements. A smaller RV would not have been good enough for us.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Connie

We too rented an RV in Alaska this summer. We enjoyed not being tied down to hotel reservations and being able to just go wherever we wanted knowing we would have everything we needed.

We paid about the same daily rate as Alaskan hotels but we saved SO much money doing a lot of our own cooking.

They come fully stocked with everything you need you just have to buy your groceries and hit the road.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Connie

A good web site for RVers is www.rv.net

They have a section on destinations, campgrounds, types of RV's and even a section for beginners to ask questions.

Very nice and helpful people there.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Nonamethistime

The last time I responded to this ? I was called a whiner but here goes anyway. It's close quarters for even the most loving of families. A hotel room may not be so spacious either but you can leave the room and go the pool (weather permitting) or even take a walk (I'm talking about when you're on the road). It also invloves hooking up to a sewage system (which to me was gross) at a campground. You still have to cook and clean as if you are at home, which I like to leave behind when I'm on vacation. That of course means you have to go grocery shopping and if you're on a budget you won't want to do that at a convenience store. It's not an inexpensive venture either. You have to pay for the rental, insurance, gas, mileage or additional mileage, and campsites. The only bright spot was the location of the KOA we stayed at. It was right on the water and it was beautiful. Then again, there are also oceanfront hotels and motels. Anyway, you will be shown a video before you are sent on your way.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Mar

We loved our RV trip with our three children: 7 years, 5 years and 2 months. They have their foods they "need" to eat (mac 'n cheese, hot dogs, cereal and milk, fresh fruit, etc) you have yours. No trying to get the kids to sit during a meal they are bored with. As for shopping at convenience stores, we pulled right up to the grocery store, even Trader Joe's. We had wonderful meals!

We brought videos, though one park had cable hook up. We had a blast; stayed right at the beach and a lake, rode our bikes, played games, went for long hikes. For us it was great, though definitely more "gritty" than hotel travel: short showers to conserve water, toilet dumping is not glamorous but as a parent, I've done worse.

Overall we would definitely do it again. We were really close to nature and felt very disengaged from urban life. The cell phones didn't work and we couldn't get a paper. It took getting used to, but after a few days it was heaven. The kids had a fantastic time and so did mom and dad.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Joe

Linda: We spent ten years wandering the fifty States with our three daughters. The first year, we did the car, motel bit; unpack at each destination, pack up the next morning, look for a nice motel, etc. I kept noticing these motorhomes on the road. Driver sitting with a fan in front of him, kids at the table doing what ever they were doing (coloring, reading, snacking?). I decide the next year we would rent a motorhome and see if it was for us. Went to British Columbia for three weeks and it was fantastic. Stayed in Provincial and National Parks. Great campfires at night. Met really nice people from all over the world. Stayed in the occaisional KOA or similar to get laundry equipment. Even those weren't bad although not my favorite. Preferred the woods, lakes, rivers, etc.
We had ten wonderful years. We alternated cooking in (actually cooking out in campgrounds) with eating out in order to give my wife a vacation as well. The flexability was great. Stop where you want, eat where you want, stay wher you want. My wife actually made coffee in the morning (as my children slept) or put together lunch as we drove down the highway. She became a whiz at campground cooking and , of course, I barbecued often.
On our last trip our oldest was seventeen and her sisters were fifteen and thirteen. Great memories. We can't get together without one of them bringing up some experience we had "on the road". Rent one the first time, even for a long weekend to see if you like it. I don't think we would have done the 50 States without the motorhome (no, we didn't drive to Hawaii, but we did drive to Alaska). Good luck.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 02:18 PM
utahtea

Nonamethistime,

I don't think you're a whiner at all. Different people have different ideas of what a vacation is. I know people who thing no room service is roughing it

But I'm the kind who just loves to get away from the house for a vacation. As long as I'm on the road seeing new places I'm happy. I prefer to do this traveling in an RV. I don't care that I have to do a little work. I do the food prep, DH does the cooking. I wash and he dries. I miss the kids they use to do the dishes...LOL!

It all depends on what they want. If they've someone has been thinking about taking an RV trip then they should try it to see if they like it. Now one else will really be able to tell them one way or another. All we can do is tell our experiences and yours is a valid experience.

Utahtea

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Dan

Linda...
Maybe "noname" is kinda "whiny", but he brings up some good points. We have a 29 foot motorhome and its just right for the wife and myself. It WILL sleep 6 to 8 but wouldnt want to try it. From your post I assume you have at least two children,, then a couple of thier friends for at least 6...you might wanna reconsider. Its a great way to travel, don't get me wrong, but it isn't cheap. Also, as we have found out,
unless you tow a car, your kinda stuck where you camp. You also are somewhat limited as to where you can stop and park, especially in downtown areas of cities.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Donna F

Just wanted to add that you might want to bring a small tent for the kids. That will give them a sense of privacy and make it a little easier on all of you. We have slept 4 in our 26' camper but that means the sofa gets opened up and the kitchen table becomes a bed. It's nice in the morning to be able to make coffee and have some piece and quiet while others are still sleeping. But if they're sleeping on the table, that's not going to work. (For those who don't know, the table lowers and with the dinette seats becomes a bed.)

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:41 AM
gail

Pick the friends carefully - we often take friends of our kids on vacation with us and it usually makes for a better trip for all. We travel a lot as a family and have fallen into patterns/routines that work for the 4 of us. (For instance, in some cities husband and son share a room so they can go to a night sporting event and sleep late and daughter and I share room and get up early and shop) Just make sure the friends are the right style match.

My son has a friend who thinks it is not a vacation without camping and hiking - not our style, but works for them. We did not take that kid with us to Washington, DC. My daughter brought a friend who wanted to call Mom several times a day and got upset when she found out her parents were away for the weekend.

In an RV, the wrong kid (even your own) would get irritating very fast.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Connie

RVing isn't cheap but you do save a lot on food.

In Alaska, where food is expensive (restaurants and groceries), I spent $130 for 10 days worth of food for two people. That's a lot cheaper than we could have eaten in restaurants.

We ate a big breakfast, sandwiches and chips for lunch and a big dinner.

I don't mind the cooking. For some reason, when we are camping cooking becomes fun!

We just felt so much freer and at home in our RV than being stuck in a hotel.