RV trip 14 nights itinerary help

Oct 4th, 2019, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

RV trip 14 nights itinerary help

We have owned both motorhomes and travel trailers in the past. All the RV rentals places in Anchorage will not allow you to tow a car so we are thinking we will rent a truck and trailer trailer (though private owner) so we have a vehicle to get around. Thought on this please. Also this is the 2nd attempt at an itinerary. Should we add/delete anything? Are we staying too long or not long enough in each place? Any driving distances from place to place too long? The only reason we are considering swinging over to Matanuska is because I read on a TA forum that the scenery is beautiful but haven't seen anyone else mention it. Also considering staying 2 nights instead of 3 in Denali.

Day 1 fly into Anchorage, pick up RV, get groceries then drive to Matanuska Glacier.
Day 2 Glacier Hike and Zipline
Day 3 Drive to Denali National Park - ATV tour in the afternoon
Day 4 Shuttle, bus or hike
Day 5 Dog sled and more time in the park
Day 6 Drive from Denali to Talkeetna - activity in the afternoon
Day 7 Drive to Portage - activity in the afternoon
Day 8 Drive to Seward - possible afternoon fishing trip?
Day 9 Day cruise
Day 10 Kenai National Park
Day 11 Seward to Homer
Day 12 - Bear viewing in Katmai
Day 13 Homer to Cooper Landing
Day 14 Cooper Landing back to Anchorage
Oct 7th, 2019, 02:34 AM

You probably already know how long it takes to do hook ups at campgrounds and how long you can go with just propane and battery power if you have to use a primitive campsite. We looked at one (just to see) that was near Kenai. If you don't already have the guide to Alaska (name escapes me) showing mileage and what's along the way, get it so you know you have enough gas to get between places. Heading north from Anchorage, once you get past Wasilla there's not a lot of places for food and gas. You don't have Independence Mine listed and we enjoyed that place a lot. Very good restored buildings and displays about the old mining town. Hard to imagine living there so far from everything.

Also be aware of road conditions. Road into Homer is fine but don't try to take a trailer up the road that goes to the road overlooking the town. It's all steep switchbacks but an interesting drive in just the truck. Seward to Homer is another good time to stop for groceries since you'll go thru Soldotna area. Look up farmers markets since you'll be able to cook. If you like oysters you'll find them at the Homer market. We lucked out with a friendly fisherman netting salmon on the river (Kenai?). Gave us a salmon to cook that night.

Before your trip, start reading the locals newspapers and be aware of any wildlife problems in areas you'll be camping. But also read for any interesting happenings while you're there. I enjoyed reading about what was going on at the Sea Life Center in Seward.
Oct 7th, 2019, 05:37 AM

Looks like your first post; welcome to Fodor's!

One important detail you've left out is WHEN this will take place. You're going to have a pretty different experience in early June than you would in late August. For example, "fishing in Seward" - for what?

Some general comments...

- Talkeetna is cute and very touristy and I wonder what you plan to do there. You can easily drive back from Denali to Anchorage in a day.
- "Kenai National Park?" Do you mean Kenai Fjords National Park? If so, that's what you'll see on the day cruise out of Seward.
- Bear viewing in Katmai: There are bear watching opportunities available from Anchorage as well; I'd look at these as you put your schedule and plans together.

Full disclosure, I'm not an RVer and confess to some bias having spent a largish number of hours following them on two-lane Alaska roads. Could I just suggest that you do a side-by-side comparison of the RV plan vs. renting, say, an SUV, staying in hotels/motels or B&B accommodations, and using the greater flexibility of the vehicle to expand your options?

I'd also look at some additional places to visit, including Whittier for a "26 Glacier" cruise, Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine (near Palmer in the Matanuska Valley) and I'd look at activities like a flightseeing trip - Denali, Prince William Sound, Knik Glacier and the Chugach mountains... many options. I'd also (and again,this is just along the lines of a "thought experiment") think about traveling to Alaska (from where,by the way?) via a stop in Southeast Alaska for a day or two, just to get a sense of that marvelous part of the state. As you plan, think about 24 - 48 hours in Sitka, for example. You could fly there on the way to or from Anchorage, and the additional airfare wouldn't be a deal-killer (and you'd probably save it on reduced vehicle rental cost in southcentral Alaska anyway.)

Just some thoughts.

The guide dfrostnh is talking about is probably the Milepost, an annual road guide available from Amazon. You can save money by getting a used one; it doesn't change much from one year to the next.
Oct 7th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I updated the itinerary to have less driving between each place, added campgrounds that have hook-ups (my husband needs his CPAP machine to sleep), activities in each area, and dates. Hope this makes more sense.

Day 1 - July 10 – Fly into Anchorage - get truck – Embassy Suites by Hilton

Day 2 -July 11- Drive to Sterling 2 ˝ hours to pick RV – Fish with the hosts – Drive to Homer 2 hours – Alaskan Heritage RV Park

Day 3 -July 12 – Get groceries – walk around town

Day 4 - July 13 – Alaskanbearviewing.com to Katmai

Day 5 -July 14 – Drive to Seward – Seward Waterfront RV Park – afternoon activity

Day 6 – July 15 – Day cruise Kenai Fjords National Park – Major marine tours

Day 7 – July 16 – Drive to Portage – Portage Valley Cabins and RV Park – 26 Glaciers boat tour

Day 8 – July 17- Drive to Willow – Willow Creek Resort Campground – snowhookadventures.com

Day 9 – July 18 – Willow – see same things as Palmer

Day 10 – July 19 – Drive to Denali National Park – Denali Grizzly Bear Campground – ATV tour

Day 11 – July 20 – Shuttle into Denali National Park or Denali highway jeep excursion

Day 12 – July 21 –Drive to Talkeetna – Talkeetna Camper Park – shop/lunch

Day 13 – July 22 – Drive to Palmer – Big Bear RV Park – Glacier Hike and Zipline – micaguides.com

Day 14– July 23 – Palmer – Independence mine, hatcher pass, reindeer farm, musk ox farm, palmer visitor info center, Alaska back country adventure tours, knix glacier tours, noisy goose cafe

Day 15 – July 24– Drive to Cooper Landing – Keani Princess RV Park – Russian River Falls

Day 16- July 25- Drop Off RV in Sterling – Drive to Airport in Anchorage
Oct 7th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

I added the wrong itinerary. I don't know how to edit or delete as I'm new to this forum. Here's the new updated one.

Day 1 - July 10 – Fly into Anchorage - get truck – Embassy Suites by Hilton

Day 2 -July 11- Drive to Sterling 2 ˝ hours to pick RV – Fish with the hosts – Drive to Homer 2 hours – Alaskan Heritage RV Park

Day 3 -July 12 – Get groceries – walk around town

Day 4 - July 13 – Alaskanbearviewing.com to Katmai

Day 5 -July 14 – Drive to Seward – Seward Waterfront RV Park – afternoon activity

Day 6 – July 15 – Bear glacier kayaking adventure tour with jet boat transport

Day 7 – July 16 – Drive to Portage – Portage Valley Cabins and RV Park – Alaska wildlife conservation center

Day 8 – July 17- Drive to Willow – Willow Creek Resort Campground – snowhookadventures.com

Day 9 – July 18 – Willow – Independence mine, Hatcher Pass

Day 10 – July 19 – Drive to Denali National Park – Denali Grizzly Bear Campground – Denaliatv.com wilderness adventure 1pm, 3pm, 5pm or 7pm or Raftdenali.com – Upper Nenana scenic wilderness run 2pm or 6pm

Day 11 – July 20 – Shuttle into Denali National Park or Denali highway jeep excursion

Day 12 – July 21 –Drive to Talkeetna – Talkeetna Camper Park – shop/lunch

Day 13 – July 22 – Drive to Palmer – Big Bear RV Park – Glacier Hike and Zipline – micaguides.com

Day 14– July 23 – Palmer – musk ox farm, palmer visitor info center, Alaska back country adventure ATV tours to knix glacier(youralaskavation.com) or Alaskaglacierexperience.net, noisy goose café, reindeer farm

Day 15 – July 24– Drive to Cooper Landing – Keani Princess RV Park – Russian River Falls

Day 16- July 25- Drop Off RV in Sterling – Drive to Airport in Anchorage
Oct 7th, 2019, 07:13 PM

>>I added the wrong itinerary. I don't know how to edit or delete as I'm new to this forum. Here's the new updated one.<<

You can ask the moderators to delete that incorrect post (you could have deleted it yourself if done right away but now it is too late)

See the little triangle at the bottom of the post ? That is a direct link to the moderators . . . if you click the triangle on the post you want deleted you'll see a dialog box where you can explain that you posted in error and have since posted the correct info. (or . . . you can just leave things as they are since you explained it clearly)
Oct 8th, 2019, 01:02 AM

Thanks, Gardyloo, yes, I meant the Milepost.
I enjoyed the visitors center in Portage. Listen to recordings of experiences people had during the big earthquake.
I did not check out grocery stores in Homer but groceries in Talkeetna were hard to find. Soldotna/Kenai supermarkets on way to Homer were large. I would also stop in Wasilla before heading north to Denali.
I read some reviews on Denali Hwy jeep excursion and recommend you read the worst reviews. It depends on what you are expecting and it seems some people thought there would be some off road jeep driving. You might be disappointed. The ATV tour to Knik glacier sounds more like an adventure if you have to make a choice and want something more challenging. I noticed bad review on this tour was from an experienced ATV driver whereas I would have been in the happy go to 11 mph group. This area can be dangerous and even locals have gotten into trouble so I would vote for following leader's rules exactly. Our son used to belong to an offroad club in this area.
Oct 9th, 2019, 12:14 PM

It's been awhile since we did an RV tour in Alaska, but I recall a very large Walmart in Anchorage. You can pick up groceries there too.

I remember friends who rented an RV said they purchased inexpensive sleeping bags for their trip (because the RV company they used supplied linens at an extra cost). They donated them at the end of their trip. Our RV company supplied everything we needed -- linens, towels, cooking pots/pans, utensils, etc. for about the same price as theirs. (They should have shopped around.)