RV rountrip: Denver - Boise - Las Vegas - Denver

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just signed up for this after reading many wonderful posts and personal recommendations on trips.

On our honeymoon, just the two of us will be travelling by RV for 25 days. We saved up for this for a long time, so we want to make the most of the trip. It's not our first time in the US, so we know how to get around, but we never used an RV (first timer tips please!). Our budget allows for full hookup sites, but we prefer using dry sites occasionally for short periods.

We''ll arrive from Europe in Denver, CO (day 1), then we want to go see Yellowstone, take a quick stop in the Boise area to see friends (day 11) , then go down to Las Vegas for 2-3 days (day 14-16) around half-time of our trip, then complete the circle with the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Monument Valley, Zion NP back to Denver (day 25).

The time frame is mid-August until mit-September.

Apart from the arrivel/departure, we have booked Las Vegas and arranged our time in Idaho. For everything else we don't know how long it will take us to drive (we don't mind driving all day if it's worth it) or what is really worth seeing and doing.

We like nature, great sights, not so much large cities. We recently watched (by accident) many movies about Las Vegas, and alien sightseeing sites. We definitely have the Little Ale'Inn on our schedule, maybe the Black Mailbox. So anything like that will float our boat

Thank you in advance!
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:18 AM

On your way to Yellowstone, spend a few days in Rocky Mountain National Park. Go to www.nps.gov and check RMNP to see about getting a site for your RV. Also check on Yellowstone if you don't already have a reservation. Check out some of the other NP's you could visit on your way back to Vegas, and for the trip to Denver. Some places take/need reservations ahead of time, especially in August and through the first weekend in September, and some don't Check routes to avoid as much back tracking as possible.

Have a fantastic trip!
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM

With what you already have planned and what you want to see, the route pretty much writes itself. I've given you an idea of what you might do:

Day 1 Not sure if you wanted to plan this day or not. If so, just add it to Rockies, Tetons or Yellowstone below.
Day 2 Rocky Mt. National Park/Estes Park 65 miles
Day 2 RMNP
Day 3 drive towards Grand Tetons It's 486 miles and that's a long day in an RV but you could make it or spend the night on the road.
Day 4 Grand Tetons
Day 5 Grand Tetons/Yellowstone
Day 6 Yellowstone
Day 7 Yellowstone
Day 8 Yellowstone
Day 9 Yellowstone
Day 10 Drive to Bosie approx 380 miles
Day 11 Boise with friends
Day 12 Wasn't sure if this day would be with friends or not
Day 13 Drive to Salt Lake City (approx 340 miles)
Day 14 Drive to Las Vegas (approx 421 miles) Consider stopping at the Kolob Section of Zion right off I-15
Day 15 Las Vegas
Day 16 Las Vegas
Day 17 Drive to Zion National Park (approx 160 miles)
Day 18 Zion National Park
Day 19 Drive to Meteor Crater and spend night in Flagstaff (330 miles) or Williams (361 miles) Personally, this is out of your way and I would skip it for better places to see.
Day 20 Drive to Grand Canyon 92 or 60 miles depending on where you spent the night. Visit park
Day 21 Spend morning at Grand Canyon and drive to Monument Valley 180 miles
Day 22 Spend morning at Monument Valley and drive to Moab 150 miles.
Day 23 Spend day at Moab to see either Arches and/or Canyonlands National Parks
Day 24 Drive from Moab, Utah to Denver. From Moab take scenic Hwy 128 to I-70. I-70 is some of the most scenic Interstate driving (approx 360 miles)
Day 25

Once you decide where you are going I can help with campgrounds. Are you always going to want full hookups like water, electric, sewer, cable or can you live with dry camping with tables, bathrooms and dump stations?

Utahtea
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

emalloy: Thank you for the tip about RMNP, I guess that'll be our first stop on the way!

utahtea: Wow, thanks for the effort!
I typed up our current sketch for the route in google maps here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
216507493682990309631.0004a302f08ad8d2fe13b

Your ideas of driving distances and times gave me an idea of how to plan properly.

No Salt Lake City in there. Also I'm not sure where exactly to go to see the grand Canyon with its most fantastic view. Google drops us at Grand Canyon Village. Not sure if that's the right place to go.

Also, is that northern leg from Yellowstone to Glacier NP/Coeur D'Alene worth going? Looks like it will take us at least two days, if not three, of pure driving from Yellowstone to Boise that way.

As for hookups, I hope we can run our vehicle without hookups every other day. Saves us money, and I guess we'll have enough fresh and and dirt water volume to go for a few days. In the ad it said we'd probably only need to empty the sewer once or twice.
As I said we have no experience in that direction, so I don't know if we need/want a regular shower apart from the one we have in the motorhome. Are showers on US campgrounds usually clean and usable? I've seen my share of European campgrounds in my youth...

One question about the speed of an RV. I know I might kick it up to go the speed limit on freeways, but is this usually a good idea and worth planning on or will the gas consumption go up like crazy? We'll have a 25 foot with a 450 hp regular gas engine.
I ask this because we went 4500 miles in a regular car two years ago within 3 weeks, and that with 10 days staying at the same place for small tours. So I know I have the patience to go distances like that, I just don't know if our vehicle will

Also, are there any central offices I can consult on state laws regarding RV use? I remember window-mounted navigation is outlawed in California (they told me after we left hah), and dry camping is illegal altogether im some states, don't know which ones. While a ticket or arrest would make some interesting memorabilia, I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Thank you!
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Following Utahtea's great itinerary, try for a campground in the Unita National Forest south of Salt Lake City for day 13.
http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/intermtn/uintinfo.htm
I'm hoping the gas prices get better soon, but don't count on it
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Go to rv.net and search the "open roads forum" to answer all your rving questions including recommended routes and camp grounds.

Go to rvparkreviews.com to search for mostly private campgrouds by city and state.

Use forestcamping.com as tomfuller suggests for National Forrest Sevice campgrouds that usually do not have hook-ups and are thus less expensive.

You will need to dump the holding tanks more often than once or twice in almost a month so the unit won't smell, and also to reduce the weight, increasing the gas milage. For planning purposed figure 10 miles to the gallon, less in the mountains. As for speed, on the open highway, where it is flat you can get up to the speed limit. Through the mountains, especially uphill, it will be slow going.

Have fun, sounds like a great adventure.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM

Salt Lake City was just a stopping point but Ely works just as well.

You will NOT be able to drive your 25 foot motorhome over the Going to The Sun Road in Glacier National Park. I figured you're going to be adding two long full days of just driving to get to Glacier and Coeur d'Alene. While Glacier is beautiful, you're not going to have much time there or in Yellowstone. I never saw the attraction to Coeur d'Alene. Honestly, I'd say skip it and enjoy Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. If you skip it, you could stop by Craters of the Moon National Monument, ID. http://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

There is so much to do in Yellowstone. You might consider driving the Beartooth Highway http://www.beartoothhighway.com/ which is a real treat. The 25 ft RV will be fine, we did it in our old 24 ft one. There are so many different areas to Yellowstone that each section can take a day to see, so that's why I left so many days for Yellowstone. You might even feel like taking a day trip to Cody, Wyoming.

There's a big debate on which rim of the Grand Canyon is the best. I feel that first time viewers should visit the South Rim where the Grand Canyon Village is. Getting a camping site at the South Rim in the park will probably be easier since there are so many more sites at Mather Campground. From the Village either walk along the rim or take the free shuttle buses to several of the overlooks. You might even walk a little way down one of the hikes to get a feel for the canyon. As you exit the park on Hwy 64 driving towards Cameron you get beautiful views of Painted Desert areas. Make sure to allow time to stop at some of the view points before you exit the park.

We usually can go three days without dumping the gray and black tanks if we don't have hook ups at the campgrounds. We have a 30 foot motorhome but was able to do this in our 24 foot one two. (Larger RV's usually have larger tanks) You have to take what I call Navy showers. You turn on the water to get wet, turn it off, wash and then turn water back on to rinse. This saves you from having to dump daily! If you have hookups it's not big deal. You hook up water and sewer and take as long of a shower as you want. You are going to be moving your motorhome daily to go out touring so you can dump and fill your tanks as often as you like as there is a dump station at the campground. The ad you were reading must have been for only one week, because there is no way you could go 25 days and dump only once or twice if you are taking showers nightly.

Showers at campground vary. If the campground has a nice shower, I'll take mine at their facility. If it's not, then I use our RV shower.

DH top speed in 65 in the RV to help save on gas mileage. I would venture to say you will be lucky to get 10 MPG overall. Wind at your back will help the mileage and days where you are driving into the wind can kill the gas mileage. Most rental RV's are only a couple of years old at the most, so driving them for long periods of time should not be an issue for the RV.

Here are a couple of links about the Rules of the Road http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/...OfTheRoad.aspx and http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...icleID=1195129 You might have to look up each state you will be driving to find everything.

For safety sake turn off the refrigerator when you get fuel.

Utahtea
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM

Keep in mind --gas is now about $ 4.00 a gallon...Bring lots of money...
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks!
Takes me a few days to digest all this new information.

Just this: where I live, we pay more than 8$ a gallon. So I might just get out of the car and do a little dance of joy every time I see a gas station

But you're right, it's more than a third more expensive now than it was two years ago.

Does anyone know any famous locations from movies that we could visit on our way? I thought about maybe re-enacting (sort of) some move scenes to make some posters out of when we get back.
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Distant planet scenes in Galaxy Quest were filmed in Goblin Valley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Quest
There are many movies that used Monument Valley as a backdrop.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM

The area around Kanab, UT was used for lots of movies. There are little signs along the streets in the center of town that talk about some of the stars who stayed there.
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM

"Keep in mind --gas is now about $ 4.00 a gallon...Bring lots of money..."

They are paying twice to three times that in Eurpoe!!
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

I just took a look at Craters of the Moon.

If we're coming in from Grand Teton NP, is there only the road through Atomic City to enter the park? Since that looks like a restricted military area, I'm having trouble finding a way there without taking a detour of 100 miles.
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:54 PM

Hi spama10t,

I'm not sure what you mean about Atomic City. From Idaho Falls take Hwy 20 which doesn't go though Atomic City. It's been a number of years since we went, but I couldn't find anything about restrictions driving on the highways. http://hb.511.idaho.gov/main.jsf Maybe a local can chime in.

Utahtea
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks again for your assistance!

We've mapped out a general tour with several possible byways we could take. Here it goes.

1. Denver arrival - drive to Grand Lake in Rocky Mountain NP

2. drive to Cheyenne, WY and continue either towards
a) Casper, then Cody, WY
b) Torrington, Lusk, Newcastle --> Keystone, SD (Mt Rushmore)
then Devil's Tower, then Cody, WY

3. Red Lodge, MT and down Beartooth Pass

4. three nights in Yellowstone

5. either go
a) south to Grand Teton
b) north into Montana (see some fossils) and then south via I-15 into Idaho

6. Craters of the Moon, Idaho

7. Boise area for three days

8. trip to Las Vegas, Nevada via Rachel, NV. We took the trip through Ely before, so we thought we might go south via Jordan Valley, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain... 100 miles or so detour. Worth it?

9. three nights in Vegas

---9 days until vehicle dropoff from here, 15 days spent

10. head for Grand Canyon Village and go see Meteor Crater on the Way (Flagstaff)

11. Page - Glen Canyon

12. Monument Valley

13. Canyonlands, Arches

14. Hwy 128 and I-70 back to Denver

Sounds agreeable to me, and flexible to a certain degree. The only thing I'm worried about is finding campgrounds with facilities on the go. Does anyone have recommendations for an Andoid app or website that lets you search for campgrounds? I thought it too much to print out every possible location on our way.
But I did find out we can dry camp in all the states we visit if it's posted on official spaces, while in Wyoming it is allowed unless otherwise posted.

I'm open for last minute comments
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM

1. Denver arrival - drive to Grand Lake in Rocky Mountain NP

2. drive to Cheyenne, WY and continue either towards
a) Casper, then Cody, WY
b) Torrington, Lusk, Newcastle --> Keystone, SD (Mt Rushmore)
then Devil's Tower, then Cody, WY

This doesn't leave you much time for Rocky Mountain National Park. It's going to be a drive by if you want to make some miles that day too!

Grand Lakes to Mt. Rushmore & Devil's Tower and then to Cody is 850 miles. Take it from me this is two hard days of driving in an RV and you aren't going to have enough time to see much of anything on those two days. You will have enough time to drive those 850 miles but what's the point if you don't have time to see anything. I'd stick with finding one night on the road before entering Yellowstone.

You are so close to the Grand Tetons that it would be a shame to miss out on this beautiful park.

8. trip to Las Vegas, Nevada via Rachel, NV. We took the trip through Ely before, so we thought we might go south via Jordan Valley, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain... 100 miles or so detour. Worth it?

I love the Extraterrestrial Highway 375 that goes by Rachel. Make sure you gas up in Tonopah if you decide to go. There is camping in Tonopah and Ash Springs. This route is 775 miles and I really don't recommend trying to do this in one day. Even the trip straight down from Boise to Las Vegas is 625 miles and that's about the max I'd try to do in one day in an RV.

I'd call ahead as early as you know what days you will be in Yellowstone and see if you can find a campsite within the park. There's only one campground that has full hook us and that is Fishing Bridge. The campsites there are literally on top of each other. If you don't need hook ups then try Madison. I like the location of this campground for easy of getting to all the other areas of the park. Most of the other campgrounds are in forest settings in Yellowstone.

You shouldn't have any problems finding campsites at the Grand Tetons if you don't need full hook ups.

Grand Canyon has two campgrounds that take reservations. Trailer Village has full hook ups but it's not the nicest campground. Mather Campground is near by in a forest setting. I'd call even if it's a day or so before to see if you can make reservations. There is a national forest campground called 10-X about 10 miles south of the Grand Canyon Village, but I have no idea how early they fill up.

I'm not sure when you will be hitting the Labor Day weekend during this trip, but if you are going to be at the Grand Canyon or Lake Powell, then you WILL NEED reservations and you will need to make them yesterday!

There are a couple of campgrounds at Wahweap near Page, AZ. One has hook ups and the other doesn't. The hook up campground usually books early in the summer. Over any weekend this place will be busy.

I haven't been to Monument Valley since they put up a campground there, but I hear it's mostly dry camping. There is a RV park in Gouldings that's really nice. If you will be here over the Labor Day Weekend call ahead! The have an over flow camp area, but that fills up too!

There are plenty of RV parks in Moab. I don't think I'd worry about there. There are BLM lands along the Colorado River on Hwy 128 and Hwy 279. There is camping in Canyonlands and Arches but you have to be there first thing in the morning to get those places. You can make reservations in Arches if you have your dates.

Most of the time when you are on the open road away from major attractions, you shouldn't have any problem finding campgrounds with openings. Most of the big name RV rentals give you a campground director with the RV, you might check into that.

Utahtea
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks - that info on the long drive towards Mount Rushmore seems critical!

No worries about Labor Day, we've got all that figured out. We already have a reservation for Madison Campground, which has a dump station. The ad said our RV will have a generator, so we will have power.

Are there refill stations at places that don't have hook-ups? We will spend three nights at Madison, so we'd need a refill somewhere. That's actually our only worry since we don't mind sitting out in the middle of nowhere - we won't make the mistake twice of not fuelling up in the west

Also is it possible to go in an RV on BLM lands only and just check in somewhere for dumping and refilling the water? I have no idea what to expect.

Thank you so much!
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the advice - here's the trip report just for you!

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...it-it-hard.cfm