RV IN SEPT IN ALASKA

Search

RV IN SEPT IN ALASKA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV IN SEPT IN ALASKA

HAVE RENTED RV SEPT 8-SEPT 29 OUT OF ANCHORAGE. PLAN ON NORTH TO FAIRBANKS TO TOK TO VALDEZ TO KENAI. STOPS AT ALL TOWNS, ATTRACTIONS ALONG THE WAY. WHAT CAN I EXPECT FOR WEATHER AND CROWDS?
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:36 AM

If you don't get any response here you might try: The Open
Roads Forum - Destinations:

http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fu...s/forum/30.cfm

Utahtea
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:38 AM

I don't know if that link will work for you, so try this one:

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Utahtea
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:18 AM

The drive from Anchorage to Valdez, especially the drive from Copper Center to Valdez is breathtaking. Make SURE you have plenty of gas, because there are no gas stations between Copper Center and Valdez. You will love this stretch of the trip. I'm not totally sure of weather, but you should have no problem with crowds.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Get a copy of The Milepost at a bookstore or through Amazon.com - last year's is fine - for full details on destinations, places to stop etc. After Sept 15 many tourist attractions (including Denali Park interior shuttles) will be closing down.

The weather may be getting chilly at the end of your stay; snow's a possibility at higher elevations but unlikely. Head north to Denali and Fairbanks right away then work your way south to stay ahead of the weather. Note daylight starts getting shorter rapidly, so don't over-plan your days on the road.

Crowds will not be an issue anywhere.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND ADVISE. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO OUR TRIP. TAKE CARE
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:11 AM

No crowds and empty campgrounds. Head right to Denali Park - the shuttles stop running after 9-11-03, then you will only have the costly tours available. I'll be at Wonder Lake 9-10 myself. Verify what is still open before you go- so you don't make plans that can't be done. I too agree- the Richardson from Glenallen- Valdez is breathtaking.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:24 AM

Be sure to give yourself plenty of time on the Kenai Peninsula. It is larger than it looks and the more scenic part of your trip, IMO.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:14 PM

We just returned from a two week trip, with one week in an RV. On the way to Denali, it is tempting to stay at Denali State Park, which we did. However, the weather is completely different than in Denali National Park as the rain dumps on that side of the mountain. It rained solid for 5 days in the state park and was clear in the national park. Last week (8/13) the park was already beginning to shut down, with shuttles running less often, etc. It was crowded in the visitor's centers and otherwise fine. If you are on the Kenai, go to Exit Glacier and hike the ice field. Also, Turnagain Arm and the drive from Seward to Anchorage is spectacular, even in crummy weather. Have fun.