Rust Flying Service-Bear Viewing

Jul 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Rust Flying Service-Bear Viewing

We have scheduled a very expensive bear viewing trip with Rust Air. I have just read a discouraging review on this trip on Wohlford's board. That person was very disappointed and felt it was not money well spent. Does anyone on this board know anything about this excursion? Thanks for any and all information
Jul 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Rust's flying service is one of the oldest services on Lake Hood. They have a great fleet of airplanes and their safety record is one of the best. You have to realize that wildlife is NOT guaranteed. If you want to see a bear for sure go to the zoo. However the chanes of seeing bears is high, this is Alaska. I took the trip and saw 5 bears. Even if you don't see wildlife the flight itself will be your highlight.
Jul 19th, 2005, 04:54 AM

The Anchorage trips have farther to go than the Homer trips , so you don't have as much time for the "viewing" on a day trip. I would verify HOW much time is actually spent at the viewing area (not getting to it, if hiking is involved) Most always overnights are superior for being there early am and late pm. Ask their sighting stats.
Jul 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Actually, what this person said was that Redoubt Bay was so crowded with fishing boats that the sense of silence, wilderness, etc was rather desecrated. Also, the fishing boats hugged so close to shore that wildlife viewing was significantly impacted. And--I do know to go to the zoo--in fact, I live in San Diego which has a wonderful zoo. Zoo viewing is not what we seek. Perhaps wit has its own board.
Aug 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Hi janelp,
I can definitively answer your question about bear viewing at Redoubt Bay with Rust's Flying Service, since we just returned from this trip. SKIP IT!!! We certainly did see a few bears there, but the viewing experience was totally spoiled by 10-12 fishing boats that jammed the entrance to the river, blocking our view. Also, when a bear was sighted on the shoreline, one of the fishing boats would often race over to get close to it, usually scaring the bear back into the woods. The pontoon boat that we were in stayed anchored in one place the entire time, with little or no commentary by the "guide". Rust's falsely advertises this trip as a wilderness viewing experience by making no mention at all of the fisherman. Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't pay 10 cents for this trip, much less the expensive prices that they charge. Back out now and get your money back.
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM

my cousin works for rust's and this is what she says about the trip:
they schedule you for redoubt bay or katmai based on what time of year/when the bears are there, so where you go is planned to see the most bears. that said, its impossible to guarantee that there will be bears there. and since bears go where fish go, and fishermen go where fish go, fishermen often end up in the way. unfortuately, pretty much everywhere in alaska that is easily accessible by float plane and a worthwhile place to visit has people there. so you really have to chose between total solitude and accessibility.
Aug 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Alaskakid, I'm sure Rust's has all kinds of rationalizations and excuses for why this trip is not what they advertise. Regardless, it is a lousy but expensive experience that I would recommend to no one.

Search this Thread