Search

Russian River

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russian River

I have seen the Russian River mentioned in several posts here and was wondering what it is, a town, a river, or a resort area? Is it located in the Sonoma wine region? Are there a lot of wineries in the area? What is there to do or see? Is it something that you can do as a daytrip out of San Francisco?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Yes, it's a day-time trip if you don't plan to swim. Search for Guerneville.

We did a "circle" - hwy 1 to fort Ross (oh, dear God, such a winding scary but oh-so-beautiful road!!) then probably 116 to Guerneville for a meal, nice small town, then off through Sonoma train town to SF.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM

The Russian River area does have a river, it is northern Sonoma area. The winery's are great, and some of our favorites are there, less crowded than Napa. The coast is beautiful, no swimming due to rip tides. Take the 101 out of San Francisco, it should take about 90 minutes. Check ahead, the area has had massive flooding.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Sorry, if the area doesn't have a river, who the heck floods it?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM

The Russian River is a river. The Russian River "area" is a part of Sonoma County. The Russian River begins in way northern California, then heads south and turns west in Sonoma County, near Healdsburg, I think, and enters the Pacific at Jenner.

Yes it is located in the "Sonoma wine region", but not the Sonoma Valley wine region. And yes, there are wineries, but they are spread out.

There is a state park, Armstrong Redwoods State Park, in Guerneville, on the river.

It is a fine day trip from San Francisco. Contact the Sonoma County Visitor's Bureau and ask for info, including wine maps.

Yes, Fort Ross, up the coast from Jenner is a beautiful, hairy drive on the coast, but very interesting. It was a Russian Fort when the Russians were in California doing seal hunting.

If you do the trip don't miss the town of Sonoma. Charming, built around a Plaza during the Mexican period. There are wineries in the Valley on the way to Santa Rosa and the Russian River area.

There was not "massive flooding". The river does rise during heavy winter storms, but everything is cool. Have fun.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Well, yes there indeed WAS massive flooding of both the Russian River
at Guerneville and the Petaluma River in northwest Petaluma on New Years Day 2006. Water up to the roof top of a one-story house qualifys as "massive flooding", IMHO.

The water has since receded, so no worries on travel in the area.

I was up in Guerneville and Healdsburg a week ago and there was visible evidence of just how high the water rose as well as some of the destruction (uprooted trees)around.

The Rusian River is a resort area
as well as an AVA appelation. Wineries in this area are actually quite close together. Wineries located next to one another can be easily accesed from Westside Road, Dry Creek Road, and various tasting rooms around the square in Healdsburg. Excellent maps and info.
of the area can be found at www.wineroad.com

The drive from River Road/Forestville
along the Russian River alon Hwy 116
West out to Jenner is beautiful. What time of year will you be here ?

R5
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Here a link to a photo taken from a boat floating along the main street in Guerneville the day AFTER the worst of the 2006 flood.
http://tinyurl.com/cogmt

Not to worry, it was 65 degrees and sunny today and (fingers crossed) should be all week !

R5
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM

jtrandolph notes Armstrong Park in the post for things to do. I highly recommend this park as it has some of the nicest mostly flat (a few hilly trails for those who want to partake) bark covered trails under the magnificant canopy of the redwoods. There are many wonderful picnic sites and an unbelievable outdoor theater. There is a great educational opportunity and a monitored parking lot. I would highly recommend this park as a nice calming day trip. It smells so wonderful and the trees and sunshine streming thru were just the peace I enjoy.
You could stay at nearby Case Ranch Inn.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

We will be going in mid-March. Any recommendations on wineries to visit?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Best suggestion is to go to www.wineroad.com and click on Russian River map. Shows accomodations and wineries. Be sure to go to Korbel champagne..great tour. Village Inn and restaurant another nice place to stay and food was gourmet. If you like a particular type of wine ask the chef..they know what's in the area.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Been there 3 times. My favorites in Russian River are Amphora (call Rick ahead of time and schedule). You'll have a personal experience with the winemaker and it's fun. Also, Foppiano for great Peetite Syrah. Hop Kiln for the neat facility and grounds. J is a must- do a food/wine pairing and skip lunch. Roshambo- very funky, arty and fun.I also liked Limerick Lane a lot. Have fun- we're going out again in April! 66 down, how many more can we do??
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Visited the following wineries in the Russian River area one day last June:
Korbel, Davis Bynum, Gary Farrell and Porter Creek. There are many more to be visited in that area but a body can only intake so much! We can't wait for the opportunity go back and do it again.. L
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Here's a great link for wineries in the area: http://www.visitwineroad.com

Click on Day Trip Maps at the top. Lots of great wineries on Trip #5.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Armida (they make Poizon) a fun place. Also, Preston (also a great bakery on site), Quivera & I'll second, the Korbel & Gary Farrell mentioned prior as well. The latter are closer to Jenner which is where we usually stay. They are also actually working on a Coastal Region as there are a lot of new wine makers popping up over that way. Not sure where that may be ... The web-site & its maps, should help you plan your trip, but I would plan on at least staying over night.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM

"Armida (they make Poizon) a fun place. Also, Preston (also a great bakery on site), Quivera & I'll second, the Korbel & Gary Farrell mentioned prior as well. The latter are closer to Jenner which is where we usually stay."

Just be aware, don512, that Jenner is a
good 45 minute drive from Gary Farrell.
It is a very pretty drive, however.

I 2nd 1JAR on the Village Inn, to stay and dine and a trip to the Armstong Woods is a great idea !

My favorite wineries in the Russian River/Healdsburg area area are:
Martin-Ray, Joseph Swan, Gary Farrell
(please know that the tasting room & winery are set back down a long lane off of Westside Road-it will take you about 20 mins to reach the driveway), Davis Bynum,& Rochioli. Around/Near the square in Healdsburg don't miss Thumbprint Cellars-one of the best Pinot Noir's I have tasted ! Rosenblum's
tasting room is worth a stop, as well.

R5

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Razzle, is it the same Rosenblum as in Alameda?

And everybody, don't worry about the floods in the past, the wine is sealed, no damage to the bottle supply (till Budman comes to visit, then we need to replenish )
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:17 PM
2d

When visiting the Russian River area, try to take time to eat at the Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant, 7871 River Road, Forestville, CA 95436,(707) 887-3300. This is one of the very best restaurants in the County--trust me, though it's a bit pricy, you won't be disappointed.

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM

More useful information on the area here:

http://tinyurl.com/auxn8
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Our last trip to the Russian River Valley was great. We started out of San Francisco in the morning with a picnic basket of goodies from the Ferry Market building. Hit 4 or 5 wineries (Pellegrino and several others). Hit Korbel last, bought champagne, made our way to the Armstrong Forest, took a walk and then drove to Goat Beach. Had our picnic and champagne- fabulous. Made it back to SF that evening, safe and sound, well wined and dined.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM

ed-I'm pretty sure you mean Pedroncelli
Winery up in Geyserville or maybe Pellegrini winery- except that they are only open by appointment. Pellegrino
is sparkling water made in Italy.
The Armstong Woods are beautiful and
a picnic at Goat Rock Beach would be lovely !
R5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -