Royal Gorge, Colo.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 1998, 03:46 PM
Dean Hicks

Royal Gorge, Colo.

We will be there this June. Any suggestions

Old Feb 7th, 1998, 08:55 PM
Dan

We passed through the Royal Gorge area on a trip with our son and his cousin a few years ago and decided to check it out. It was fun - the tram ride down the mountain to the river was exciting as was the walk across the bridge. We spent a couple of hours there. Other than that, however, I'm not aware of any reason to stay in the immediate vicinity. We came to Royal Gorge at the tail end of an 18-day western driving tour that began and ended at Denver Airport so we had seen many more memorable sights before Royal Gorge. If you 're interested in recommendations for other places to visit in that southwestern quadrant of Colorado, e-mail me and I'll tell you what we enjoyed on our trip.

Old Mar 6th, 1998, 05:57 PM
Becky Lee

I went to Royal Gorge 2 years ago. I went over the Gorge in the aerial tram & then walked across the bridge & took the trolley back over. It was an awesome experience. I'm scared of heights so you couldn't get me to the edge of the bridge but I didn't mind looking down when I was in the tam. I also went down to the bottom which was pretty cool. I also went to Buckskin Joe's, which is down the road. I took the train ride out to the Gorge & got some great pictures of the bridge from a little farther away. I really liked Buckskin Joe's. It's a wild west town that has gunfights in the steets a couple of times a day. Since I'm a western fan, it was fun to see where some of my favorite movies, like the Sacketts were filmed.

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 09:00 AM
raeona

If you have plenty of time, and would like a really scenic, if a little bit hairy drive, pick up Hwy. 115 (just east of Canon City, near Royal Gorge) and take it north towards Colorado Springs. It's gravel and one lane in many spots, but a really beautiful drive.

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 10:02 PM
sandy

The actual gorge at Royal Gorge is very impressive, but the "theme park" is mighty tacky -- and expensive! We approached it from the west, and by the time we got to the entrance, we had driven too far to turn back. Once we got inside, it wasn't too bad,despite the crowds. The gorge is awesome. You can look down and see people white-water rafting on the river. My husband took the cable car across, but I was too scared.

Old Mar 20th, 1998, 08:38 PM
frances

Hwy 115 is an easy, beautiful drive on a 55-60 mph 2 lane hiway. The dirt road that raeona spoke of is either Phantom Canyon Road (which may still be closed due to bridge repair) or Shelf Road. If you're driving a wide vehicle or one that is exceptionally low to the ground, I wouldnt recommend going there even though it would mean missing out on spectacular scenery as Raeona stated. When you go to the royal gorge be prepared for strong winds and an afternoon thunderstorm. Dont take an umbrella but do take raingear! Have a wonderful time!