Search

Roy's?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roy's?

We went to a Roy's on Maui several years ago and absolutely loved it. The one we went to was a fairly high end place and probably not for young children. Now I've heard that it is owned by Outback. We don't have a Roy's locally but I hear there is one in Chicago. My question is, has Roy's become more casual under new ownership? I hadn't considered going to the one in Chicago (we'll have kids w/us) because I think of it as being "fancy," but if the atmosphere is similar to Outback than it would be fine. Let me know if you've been to Roys recently and what you think. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:43 AM
GoTravel

I've been to the Roy's downtown Chicago and it was excellent.

Roy's on the US mainland is jointly owned by a local Managing Partner/chef and Outback Steakhouse corporate. One side of the menu is exactly the same all over the country and the other side is left up to the local MP/Chef.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM

It is still a nicer atmosphere. Way nicer than an Outback...the food is excellent though.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:52 AM

We have taken our kids to Roy's several times. In Kauai we went with 6 kids and they treated us very well. They have a nice children's 3 course menu. It in nice but not stuffy.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM

It's not like an Outback and the atmosphere isn't similar, but child are welcomed. I went to the Philly location recently and sat at the kitchen bar watching the food prep and saw some cute dishes going out for children - apples and peanut butter and the like.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Yeah! Thanks you so much!! We really had a great meal in Maui but I hadn't even considered taking the kids to the one in Chicago while we are there. Now I can't wait to go!!!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Though you have already decided I'l cast a big YEA vote for Roys in Chicago. We tried the one on the BI and it was terrific so we tried the one here. Our son has been back 3 times since Sept!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM

If you actually like Outback and you're considering going to Roy's only if it is similar, then do yourself a big favor and stay away. You will be vastly disappointed, because Roy's is about 10 levels above Outback in every way. The fact that there is joint ownership between Outback and Roy's doesn't mean the two are similar in any way. It's not unlike a local high end restaurant owner also owning a local franchise for a KFC or Dairy Queen. That doesn't mean their restaurant is going to be like those places.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Roy's is not owned by Outback. Roy Yamaguchi's holding company maintains a controlling interest in all of the Roy's and Outback has an interest in some, but not all of the mainland Roy's. Outback has very little input into the day to day management, think of it more as a "distribution" deal. Some of the executive chef's at some of the Roy's also own interest in the restaurants. But they are not franchises and Roy visits each location throughout the year. Each restaurant is both unique and familiar at the same time.

Each Roy's will have Roy's signature dishes along side of dishes created by the chef at that restaurant. Each chef uses local produce and you will see local influences in some of the dishes.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM

We frequent the Roys in La Jolla, CA and, although my husband and I haven't taken our kids there, we often see children there. We have always eaten in the bar. But we often take our children to more upscale restaurants. We just call ahead and ask about a children's menu and whether it's a kid friendly atmosphere.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM

The menu is very Asian fusion, heavy on seafood and sushi. My kids who are teens, would HATE it. The food I mean. They would much prefer Outback. Their favorite is PF Changs, which is Chinese American. Great food also and not as expensive as Roys.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:49 AM

That last post really confuses me. Their favorite is PF Changs which is essentially an Asian fusion menu (calling it Chinese is sort of a stretch, actually). But they'd hate Roy's which is a sort of upscale version of an Asian fusion menu. What is it about one they'd love that would make them hate the other? I've never had sushi at Roy's and rarely order seafood there for that matter.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Patrick - To clarify, I'm not considering Roy's because it has any relation to Outback. As I mentioned, dh & I went to Roy's on Maui years ago - this location at the time didn't strike me as being appropriate for young children. Since I heard Roy's is now owned by Outback, I was wondering if the chains are now more casual and/or kid friendly as we'll be in Chicago and would love to go.

The Roy's I went to was definitely in a totally different realm than any Outback (innovation, ingredients, presentation). However I like Outback compared to the other big chain suburban steakhouses (though I haven't been to any of them for over a year).
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Roy's fish is awesome, they have wonderful variety. We love the one in Tampa. Gosh Patrick, I can't imagine eating there and not ordering fish. What do you order?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:49 AM

One of Roy's specialties, I think avaialable at all their restaurants is the slow braised beef short ribs -- wonderful. I've had the baby back pork ribs as well. They often do a gorgonzola encrusted beef filet that melts in your mouth. And once a special was half a spit roasted duck in a wonderful dry rub, possibly the most perfectly cooked and flavored duck I've ever eaten. We've also gone and shared small plates or appetizers, not necessarily fish -- especially when I go with two vegetarian friends.
But yes, I have had the signature Ahi Tuna and it is wonderful.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM

One more time: Outback does not own Roy's. Roy Yamaguchi is a partner in a few Outback franchises in Hawai`, and has partnered with Outback on some, but not all of the mainland Roy's. Roy Yamaguchi Enterprises maintains a controlling interest in the restaurants.

The partnership with Outback has had no influence on the management style of any Roy's-- the local executive chef has a lot freedom in that area, and you will find differences in Roy's from market to market because of the chef. You can se differences between Roy's Kihei and Kahana--both on Maui but under the direction of different chefs.

How old are your children? While Roy's does not specifically cater to children, if they are old enough to endure a nice meal and you think they would like a "fancy" restaurant, then take them.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Here today, you sure are mistaken! The latest annual report for Outback (2003) shows 18 Roy's units, one is a franchise and 17 are company owned. I do think they added a few franchisees in 2004, but the large majority are still company-owned:
http://ccbn.mobular.net/ccbn/7/687/739/

Your premise that Outback has had "no influence on the management style of any Roy's" is rather wishful thinking. I also happen to think Outback's influence is a good thing - they are an excellent company. And yes, all Roy's are somewhat unique - as a matter of fact, I'm surprised at those recommending bringing kids - the Tampa Roy's is rather yupscale, not really a bring-the-kids kind of place IMHO.

Patrick, come to think of it, I have had the shortribs as an appetizer, but it's the unique varieties of really fresh fish that lure me in (haha pun). You must try!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Joan, you seem well schooled on the subject (pardon my pun!).

I guess when I'm paying high prices, I prefer something other than fish as a rule. My local fish market has a wonderful variety of fresh fish as well, and I generally prefer fish in the simplest of treatments - simple pan roasting or grilled, particularly. I'm not big on a lot of sauces on fish that mask the wonderful flavor of the fish itself. So that said, I'd just as soon pay 6 or 7 dollars for a half pound piece and cook it at home the way I like it. Of course Roy's offers their fish (and that butterfish is really great) but I prefer it plainly grilled and somehow doing that for $24 or so, just isn't as exciting when eating out as something more "constructed".

I'm far less likely to cook slow-braised short ribs or encase a filet mignon in gorgonzola and whip up a reduction sauce to go with it. Nor am I likely to spit roast a duck at home. I guess that's why I stick to those dishes, rather than fish.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM
GoTravel

heretoday, Roy only has sole ownership of his original six Roy's in Hawaii. Outback Steakhouse International bought back his Outback Steakhouse franchises in 2001.

Whenever Outback Steakhouse goes into an area with very high real estate prices, they sell a franchise to a personal friend of one of the top guys, then buy it back a couple of years later to keep from having to make the expensive initial outlay. Even though it is sold as a franchise, corporate still has a percentage ownership and can terminate the contract at will.

You cannot walk in off the street and buy an Outback Steakhouse. The general manager is called a partner and has a financial interest in the store.

I got this information from the top if you are curious as to how I know this. My husband (who is in the restaurant business) and I had dinner one night with Bob Merritt the CFO and Paul Avery the President of Outback Steakhouse International.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM

My husband works for Roy Yamaguchi. There are 30 Roy's worldwide right now. When Roy first began expanding his company he sold a few franchises, which, in retrospect he says is not the way he wanted to expand Roy's. He has franchised in Japan and Guam, but there has been talk on the coconut wireless of possibly buying back the mainland franchises. Roy owned Outback franchises in Hawai`i and in the late '90s Outback came to Roy to buy back their franchises, and from that grew a joint venture between Roy's and Outback that would allow Roy to further expand his restaurants.

The ones referenced by Outback are owned by Roy’s Outback Joint Venture Partnership. Roy personally trains the chefs and they operate under Roy's "Aloha" model, which was part of Roy's original restaurant plan before he partnered with Outback or anyone else for that matter.

Outback's part in this venture is to train and develop executive, administrative and financial ends of the business, to find possible locations, negotiate with landlords, and to build new buildings. Ouback's participation in Roy's ends at the RYE is responsible for all of the operations within the restaurant, from executive chef down. Outback is not allowed to fire any of Roy's executive-level people.

Outback never "bought" Roy's and there is no new ownership or management. Any restaurants that are owned by the joint venture were built by Roy's Outback Joint Venture and continue to operate under Roy's original model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -