Reload this Page >

Route Boston to Baltimore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:28 AM
gail

When I check various mapping/driving sites, most seem to send me through New Haven/New York City (Cross Bronx Expressway) and then down NJ Turnpike. Anyone actually driven this route and would it be better stay on Rte 84 in CT longer and go over Tappan Zee Bridge to Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike? Trip would be leaving on a Monday morning and hitting NYC around noon. Thanks

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Dick

The route across the Tappan Zee is clearly the best choice, particularly if you don't like heavy traffic. Take 84 out of CT, then 684 South. If you want a break from the same-old interstate thing you can divert onto the Taconic River Parkway for a while instead of following 684 all the way to the Cross Westchester.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:28 AM
amy

I have not driven this route but cut some directions from the newspaper a while ago that indicated a longer but nicer route.
I am reversing this...so check it carefully.

I-90 to I-84 (Boston through Conn to NY State)
I-84 to I-81 (Hazleton, Scranton, Wilkes, Barre)
I-81 to I-83 (Harrisburg to Baltimore)

Hope this gives you some ideas about alternate routes.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Dick

Correction: It's just the Taconic Parkway. Sorry about that.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:47 AM
JJ

I-84 and Tappan Zee are much your best plan (I believe some of the route requires you to get off and go south on Saw Mill River Parkway). Lately there has been some construction on the westbound segment connecting the Tappan Zee to the Garden State Pkway, so we have taken the Palisades Parkway directly as a scenic alternative. You putter a bit until you get on to the fully divided part of it, but it can be pretty. But Garden S. P'way is how you want to go to get to the NJ pike for most days/times of day.

Amy's alternative route is VERY much out of your way and has the added problem that I-81 is notorious for fog. I wouldn't choose that route unless you have a great desire to see mid-Penn.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Spider

I have driven this route at least 25 times. Even with traffic, the route through NYC is faster. It can back up at the GW bridge, but not enough to justify driving around the city.

My route is this:
Mass Pike to 84 south
84 South to 91 south
91 south to 95 south
Follow signs closely once you get into the city, because you don't want to make last minute lane changes.
Once over the GW bridge follow the New Jersey Turnpike (cars only lanes) all the way down to the Delaware bridge, and then 95 south to Baltimore.

If you're really concerned about traffic, listen to 1010 on the am dial when you're south of New Haven. If the traffic report says it's backed up in the city, hop off 95 at 287, and take the Tappan Zee Bridge.

The last time I took the route around the city, I got caught in a monster jam on the Garden State Parkway. It's not better over there.

By the way, I now generally fly down, because I got so sick of driving.

Have a safe trip!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
day

This is one of those things that sparks endless (harmless) debate: Tappan Zee or GW, GW or Tappan Zee. Fact is, either one is OK, especially if you can get through NYC before noon. I wouldn't do the I-83, I-81 alternative unless you're very fond of long car rides.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Howard

Let's do it by stages:
1. From Boston to NY: Take 84 off the Mass Pike through Hartford to 684 just beyond the CT/NY state line.
2. Tappan Zee Bridge vs. George Washington Bridge. It's really six of one and a half dozen of the other. The drawback of taking the Tappan Zee/Garden State Parkway combination is that you can be slowed down considerably at the four tolls before you get to the NJ Turnpike exit unless you have EZ Pass. The drawback of taking the GW Bridge is that is you might hit some heavy traffic when you get to the access to the GW.
3. Whether you take the TZ or GW bridge, you'll end up on the NJ Turnpike which you'll take to the end and keep following 95 until you get to Baltimore.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:43 AM
gail

Thank you all, especially Spider and Howard - I should have mentioned I grew up in Northern NJ right on NY border and am very familiar with various routes from Tappan Zee Bridge to GS Parkway and/or Turnpike. Now, I still don't know which route I'll try - Spider's route matches the map sites and Howard's takes me through very familiar territory (when I was a teenager the drinking age in NY was 18 and 21 in NJ - this was a well travelled route for HS kids once they turned 18 - a terrifying thought now that my kids are rapidly approaching these ages!) Thanks again.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Howard

Gail:
Two reasons to take 84 instead of the 91-95 combine:
1. It'll save you a half hour.
2. Route 95 is terrible!