Romantic Santa Monica Restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a romantic restaurant rec in Santa Monica for my brother in law. Not Michael's-- that'd be "upping the ante" a little too much for a second date, we think.

Budget isn't really too much of a concern, it just can't be TOO fancy ya know?

He's new to LA and so is his date (They're both new prof's at USC-- isn't that cute?!).

Thx folks,

L
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 03:22 AM
emd

What is his idea of romantic? Great food of course, but small and intimate? Possibly larger but still nice ambience? I like One Pico and would see that as a romantic place. It is in Shutters on the Beach. They could go have a drink in the lobby bar, where the piano player is and the fireplace is glowing, with view of the beach (or you can just pop outside and walk on the walkway on the beach), then go to dinner right there at One Pico. One Pico has high ceilings so is not a really intimate spcae, but the vibe is good, service is reliably good, and the food is very good.

http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/re...one_pico.html#

jiraffe is a more intimate space, and food is very good. One caveat: I have had spotty and prolonged service there the last few times I have gone there on weekends.
http://www.jirafferestaurant.com/
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 06:48 AM

my idea of romantic would be quiet, so you could hear yourself talk... that's harder to find. Why Santa Monica if they work at USC??? You could do anywhere on the west side of LA couldn't you?
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions emd! shutters is nice and i went to the jiraffe site last night- it looked perfect.

kleroux- i don't know why specifically santa monica. i didn't ask him why. they're both new to town, so maybe they want to explore a different part of the city? jeez- i hate it when people act argumentative on these boards!
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM

I didn't think I was argumentative, just curious as to why SM... LA is such a huge city, and they work in downtown...so if they wanted to travel West, there are lots of great places in between...sorry if I offended....
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I apologize Kleroux. I suspect his reasoning for Santa Monica is so they can take a walk on the beach or something after dinner.

I sent various suggestions to him, but haven't heard back, so I guess we'll see after dinner tonight.