Romantic Northeast Weekend

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 08:13 AM
Dan Mack

Romantic Northeast Weekend

What's the best spot on the East Coast (w/in 6-8 hours of New York City) for a romantic weekend? Looking for a beautiful, somewhat out-of-the-way spot.

Thanks.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Laurie

Dan,
I would suggest Maine either southern coast e.g. Kennebunkport or Camden.
Cape Cod either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. Northern Vermont or Quebec City as some of my most favorite romantic getaway destinations

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 08:15 PM
ellie

Take a look at the website for the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. Have spent some time there off season and the location, view, serenity, amenities, etc etc are really very nice. My sense is that it's a tad less serene - and therefore less romantic - at the height of the summer season when it's also virtually impossible to book a room.
I recommend their "loft suite" type rooms if it's in the budget.

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 05:55 PM
edie

I second the suggestion for Inn by the Sea, and for the loft rooms. it's a ten minute drive from portland which is a nice manageable city with good restaurants and shops

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 11:04 PM
Tara

If you looking for the ultimate in romantic and don't mind the rates, Inn at Sawmill Farm is incredible. You may want to check out Zack's in Montgomery Center, VT (way ahead, it fills up fast way far in advance).

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Dan Mack

Thanks to all who responded!

I wound up stying in Falmouth, Cape Cod at the excellent Wildflower Inn...great hosts, great breakfasts. I highly recommend the inn's VERY romantic Moonflower Room.

Thanks again!