Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic Destination in Florida - Where To Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 07:32 AM
Paola Contini

My husband and I are thinking of vacationing in Florida this February and would love suggestions on where to stay. We are looking for a destination that is somewhat romantic, beautiful beaches, some sightseeing, shopping and some nightlife.

Would Key West be a possibility?

We have visited South Beach and Orlando and would like to visit another location.

Thank you for your help!

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 07:45 PM
Joe Ferris

Try the Naples-Marco Island area. Great beaches, food, shopping. Also not as crowded as the East coast of Florida.

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 05:14 PM
sharon

beaches can be cold in the winter, but all things are relative and I live in sw Florida year round. If you are seeking a beach, Key West is not really your answer as there is no naturally occuring beach but the Marriott and the Pier House have their own beaches, the latter postage stamp size but the winner for a full service, romantic type hotel vacation. Read all the prior threads on the keys here. I love Sanibel and Captiva, but if you want to have a beautiful beach, great food and spend beaucoup bucks doing it, go to the Registry or Ritz in Naples (that is, if you can get in)

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 08:57 PM
alison

try grayton beach. it won't be warm b/c it's in northern florida, more on the west coast. it's a nice, secluded, quaint little place where you can stay in a b&b or rent a cottage. it's a nice place to clear your head and focus on what's really important. great restaurant inside the red bar.

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 05:28 PM
Anne

We visited Siesta Key last March and loved it.It is very close to Sarasota on the gulf coast.The beaches are beautiful and the water is warm.Also,Sanibel Island is nice.

Old Nov 15th, 1997, 05:36 PM
Mary Hannah

How about the Palm Beach area? The weather is really mild and beautiful that time of year, there are lots of nice beaches, and the hotels and restaurants are great. Depending on your $$ range, there's the Breakers, or the Boca Raton Resort and Hotel... both very elegant, traditional, and romantic. Or, there's the Chesterfield Hotel, also on Palm Beach. Nice shopping on Worth Avenue, or the Gardens Mall. I've got a thousand suggestions... (we live here.) Let me know if you're interested, and I can give you the scoop.

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 11:18 AM
Neal Sanders

My wife and I just returned from a weekend trip to Ft. Lauderdale where we stayed at the Riverside Hotel. The Riverside is a relatively small (100 rooms) hotel with large rooms, canopy beds, terraces, etc. It appears to be an old apartment building converted into a "European" style hotel some time in the past few years. The Riverside is the only hotel on Las Olas Boulevard, which is Ft. Lauderdale's answer to South Beach. Las Olas is positively stiff with restaurants, galleries, smart shops, and people. The street gets going about 8 p.m., and the scene continues until well after midnight. Most the the restaurants have sidewalk cafe components, and the opportunity to people-watch is just great. Virtually all of Ft. Lauderdale's most highly rated restaurants are along a one-mile stretch of the street, including one called Mark's Las Olas. The eastern terminus of Las Olas is A1A and the Atlantic ocean beaches, which are wide, sandy, and hotel-free for about a four-mile stretch. Romantic? Yeah. Alive? Definitely. Good shopping and dining? Most assuredly. Another, very romantic spot is Little Palm Island off of Torch Key, 28 miles north of Key West.

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 11:12 PM
Mary Hannah

I saw your '97 message posted on the Fodors Website regarding where to stay in the Palm Beach area of Florida. My sister & I will be down thataway end of month to attend a Memorial Service for our Grandfather who passed away several months ago. Coincidentally, my sister & I are twins & our birthday is also at the end of the month, so-o we decided to splurge for the 2 nights that we will be needing accomodations. Which would you suggest: the older "The Breakers" or the newer "The Ritz-Carlton"? We appreciate your time.
Sincerely,
Michelle Hansen [email protected]