Reload this Page >

Romantic and Private on Beach near Sarasota

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:49 AM
~C

First time romantic getaway to Florida Feb. 20th. Have been recommended to Captiva/Sanibel Islands. Considering Naples. But trying to look for a Gulf Coast beach near Sarasota/Bradenton. Captiva/Sanibel are practically full and $$$. Seeking islands with beach on site lodging recommendations???? Any rants and rave about Anna Maria Island? Help, please!!! [email protected]

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:35 PM
mark

siesta key, longboat key or lido key..all near sarasota..cheaper than naples and quieter too

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:56 PM
vern blythe

Cristina: I used to take annual vacations to the Gulf coast and visited, but did not stay on Captiva/Sanibel. More recently, I've stayed & thoroughly enjoyed Madeira Beach, just north of St. Petersburg in a fully furnished, beachside condo called Sea Breeze. This is not Clearwater and it's not a remote island like you seem to be wanting. But, there are all services and beautiful sunsets on the beach. All units face the water (to the sunset west) and you do not have to cross any streets to get to the beach. Shopping and fishing nearby at John's Pass village (within walking distance). Last time I was there was in 1995 and condo units were about $70/night for fully furnished.

If you're set on being in the Sanibel area, I would suggest Ft. Myers Beach. An island with condos, yet still somewhat quaint. It's not far from Sanibel or Captiva and still has good seashell hunting and beaches which are not quite as "rocky" with broken sea shells like Sanibel or Captiva.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Julie

Christina-
We go to Sarasota/Braedenton every March. We stay at Siesta Key, which I think has the nicest beaches. If you go, be sure to go to St. Armands Key and have dinner at Tommy Bahamas. Save room for homemade ice cream at Kilwins next door. Also, alot of people like Hemenway's I was not impressed myself. I agree that Longboat Key or Lido Key is great too. Last March I spent 10 days in a huge rented house on Captiva. It was wonderful. Although Captiva is quiet, it kind of reminds me a little bit of "Margaritaville" The Bubble room is a lot of fun. Did you check out the Captiva Inn? E-mail me if you'd like and I'll tryo yo give you more information.

Julie

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Lori

I think you should save Sanibel/Captiva for a future trip. As you said, Feb. is their "season" and many, many accomodations are already booked and are very expensive. I had looked into going there with the kids last spring break, but I just couldn't make myself pay twice as much for a condo as I would end up paying just a couple of months later in May.

We had a great time in May (no crowds, great weather, no bugs) and really felt like we'd played it smart.