Broadway Banter: Time for a one...including a TKTS update

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nine months and 130+responses on the last one mean it's time for a new Broadway Banter.
Another good reason is that I want to pass along a rave for One Man/Two Guvnors. "Funny" is putting it mildly. It''s zany, insane...and very clever, with a star--namely, James Corden--who deserves a Tony for his performance. The show is great fun.
We also saw The Best Man this weekend (only because Once was sold out!) and enjoyed it and recommend it.
As for the TKTS update: This weekend was the first time we had gotten tickets there is a long time. We were delighted to see that the lines move much faster than in the old days. And, if you're looking for tickets to a non-musical, there's almost no wait even at peak times. Eveb the longer lines for musical shows moved fast.
The bargains are still there. Most shows offered have either 50% or 40% discounts. Note that you now pay a $4 per ticket "service charge" and a $5 fee for the total transaction. Still. The prices are cheaper than those on the discount offers available on playbill.com and broadwaybox.com.
A further suggestion for the most effective and time-saving "use" of TKTS opportunities: For an evening performance, stop by the Times Square facility after 5. There rarely, if ever, is a line at that time. The same holds for a 1 p.m. visit for matinee performances.
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM

I also enjoyed the Best Man and Porgy and Bess is a must See and while February House at the Public is probably not for everyone, the music is so perfect for the characters and the time. And Double Feature at NYC Ballet was really fun.
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM

Saw Once and Nice Work if you can get it a few weeks ago. Talk about opposites! I enjoyed both- Nice Work is as corny and old fashioned as it gets. Kelli O'Hara was a delight, Matthew Broderick less so but I Enjoyed his performance by the time it was over. Maybe it was just my audience (saw it at a matinee, I was among the youngest there...) but we all laughed at all the bad jokes and hokey setups. Really not trying to make back handed compliments - you just need to enjoy the kind of plot that relies on mistaken identities and uptight characters getting their comeuppance!

For a very different show, try Once. Arrived early and went onstage to stand at the "bar" while the characters came out and played pre-show. Loved the music and the choreography/movement that included scene changes with actors picking up furtniture and twirling offstage. Really interesting. Loved Steve Kazee. The audience response at the end was a very genuine instant standing ovation -something that seems rare!
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Seems like yesterday that half price tickets at the TKTS booth were $30-$40

and it wasnt that many yesterdays or years. . .

What were just a few years ago =$65-$85 tickets are now. . .
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM

We really enjoyed Best Man! We went for Angela Lansbury and she didn't disappoint.
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Lookin_Glass, I had the same "culture shock" about the TKTS prices, since this was my first visit there in a few years. SBut then reality sank in when I remembered what the full prices are for shows today.
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:09 AM

Another vote for Best Man. The Lyons was excellent as Linda
Lavin's timing brings alot to her lines. Did not enjoy
Common Pursuit.
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
crossing fingers that Best Man will be extended
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

For those wanting to see non-musicals, you've plenty of opportunities for easily obtaining tickets at TKTS without waiting very long. It's been a long time since I remember so many good shows available close to curtain time, even on weekends. Here are the non-musical shows I've seen listed there close to curtain time:

Clybourne Park
One Man/Two Guvnors
Other Desert Cities
Peter and the Starcatcher
The Best Man
The Lyons
War Horse

And even if there is a line earlier, it's never that long for non-musicals. Thus, my advice is go the TKTS route for these shows rather than spending more on the discount offers. (PS: Sometimes, the last minute tickets available at TKTS are better than those you get with a discount offer!)
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM

anyone seen Harvey yet?
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Those who read my posts about going night after night to enter The Book of Mormon ticket lottery -- and then waiting in line for four hours to buy standing room tickets will appreciate this.

This week my partner and I BOTH received notifications that we have each won two tickets to a special June 6th fan performance of BOM. The names were drawn from those who entered -- and lost -- the nightly ticket lottery.

There were hundreds of people entered every day -- so there must have been thousands of people in that drawing. What were the chances that we'd BOTH win???

Now for the bad news ... June 6th we'll be on a plane to Kauai--and the tickets must be picked up the day of the performance with a photo ID. There's no way we can go -- and no way to give them to our friends in NYC. AGGHHH!

Well, the happy ending is that at least we got to see the show (albeit standing) -- and we LOVED every minute of it.
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Oooooh! What a good news/bad news story! But, hey, your reason for not being able to pick the tickets and see the show ain't too bad, eh?
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Good news, starrs, The Best Man has been extended to September 9.
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM

<red>YAY!!!! Thank you for the update, HowardR!
<black>I am VERY excited!
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Recently saw Once, Best Man and One Man Two Governors, also highly recommend all three. You can't go wrong with any of these.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:39 PM

Okay, trying to figure out my 5 shows for August. Thanks for the recommendations on the earlier thread.

At the top of my list - The Best Man*, War Horse*, Anything Goes, and Nice Work.
* = HowardR's recommendation to use the TKTS non-musical shorter line.

For my 5th show, I'm considering Potted Potter, Peter*, The Lyons*, One Man*, Godspell and Once.

All of the above have BroadwayBox discounts. I'd love to see Book of Mormon or Wicked (again), but don't want to pay full price for those.

Closing before I get there = Clybourne Park, The Columnist, Other Desert Cities and Venus in Fur.

Has anyone seen the Harry Potter parody, "Potted Potter" = off Broadway. The reviews look good.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:44 AM

starrs: The Lyons was fine. Nothing that hasn't been done before. It starts as a dark comedy but ends as a dark cloud. Nice Work is corny but delightful! I'm going back to see Best Man and would love to see One Man.

Have a great visit. We'll be in the city in September.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM

starrs: Potted Potter feels like a children's show--geared towards an under 12 audience (and kids pack the audience.) It's slapstick and not super funny. I was surprised that the reviews were so good.

Really, I would see Once. The music was beautiful and the leads are just superb. I was surprisingly moved by the show.

If you're in the mood for a straight play, Peter and the Starcatcher is clever and terrifically acted.

I like The Lyons a lot, and Linda Lavin is a wonder, though I tend to be a huge fan of intense family dramas. But it isn't particularly innovative, just funny. Godspell is cute and sweet, but nothing amazing.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:44 AM

If you really do want to see Once, I'd buy the tickets in the next week. Once it wins Best Musical at the Tonys there won't be any discounted seats anymore. And it's often selling out even now.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

starrs, ou are lucky in that you're coming during a period when there is a lot to see on Broadway. For your final two, I'd go with One Man, Two Govnors and Peter and the Starcatcher.
Keep in mind in getting tickets for the non-musicals that the theaters are smaller, which means you can have decent sight lines from almost any parts of the theaters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -