Search

Rock'n'Roll Tourism

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock'n'Roll Tourism

i'm taking a trip to California around Labor Day weekend. Flying into LAX, a day or 2 at Newport Beach, then drive up the coast, 1 night in monterey, then 4 nights in SF. we'll probably go to the Haight and of course to the bookstores and bars and Beat hangouts of North Beach, but what are some other cool spots with some rock history? like where exactly did Jimi Play Monterey? What beaches near LA did the Red Hot Chili Peppers frequent? where was the original Fillmore? i know that Fleetwood Mac recorded Rumours in Sausolito and the cover of Hotel California was taken there... i'm looking for more little places of rock trivia to be found up and down the CA coast and in SF.
thanks!

and if you're not from CA, what are some cool rock tourist things you've done or seen?okay, there's the obvious stuff like the RnR Hall of Fame in Cleveland, but would be fun to see what else is out there, like the walking tour of Springteen sights in Asbury Park.... or the Sun Studios tour in Memphis... i'm sure there's great stuff all over the country.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM
MaureenB

If you cruise the old Sunset Strip in L.A., there are still clubs there-- the Roxy and others, I think. You could ask around there which clubs are vintage and which have any claim to fame.

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

that's a good one maureen, thanks.

i should have mentioned: i dont think we'll be seeing anything within L.A., just landing and driving straight to Newport.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM
MaureenB

Oh, well, in that case, be sure to eat at The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. It's a funky place with the best grilled lobster tails and clam chowder anywhere. It gets really crowded, so get there early. But if you have to wait in line, you can go to the self-serve counter and order some clam chowder for while you're waiting. Love Newport Beach and gawking at the homes on Balboa Island. Have fun!

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tip! sounds great. we're staying with a friend who lives at Newport, so i'm sure he's heard of it!

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Sounds like our kind of trip. I surprised my now husband with a weekend trip to the RNR HOF in Cleveland for his 29th b-day since they held over the John Lennon exhibit. Shortly after, we went to NYC to see the Dakota and mourn in Strawberry Fields. On Tuesday, we leave for Liverpool. Perhaps one day we'll head west to follow the path you are taking!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I don't know how much of the rock history you can catch outside of the West Hollywood/Hollywood area. In fact, it would be foolish to make the schlepp out here without heading to historical clubs like the Troubadour, the Roxy, etc. And how about the Hollywood Guitar Center and all the musicians who frequent it?

I can think of the lesbian bar Melissa Etheridge first played at in the 80s, a Long Beach dive near my house called Executive Suite. But I don't think that's your cup of tea. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. There must be places down in OC where bands like No Doubt and Sublime first played, but....
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM

the Experience Music Project in Seattle was pretty cool, as rock'n'roll tourist exhibits go. I particularly enjoyed the exhibit on the life of Jimi Hendrix. And the guitar cyclone sculpture was amazing.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I frequently pass the apts on the cover of Physical Grafitti, located in E Village, NYC. There used to be company in NYC that gave a guided tour of all the rock n roll sites, I think Electric Lady Studios is on the tour.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:28 AM

A little tip for anyone going to the Rock Hall: Admission is $20 per person (although it was $15 for a bit last winter since some exhibits were closed). For $50 you can become a member, which includes admission for the member and a guest for a year, a t-shirt, and a subscription to the museum's newsletter. You also get a few 2-for-1 coupons for friends in case you know someone else who wants to visit.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

good stuff!

anymore lesser know stuff i might find in SF?

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Motown, baby!.

Hitsville USA museum;
The 20 grand;
The Grande Ballroom;
The Cinderella Theater;
The Hideout(Harper Woods)((Seger, Amboy Dukes, Scott Richard Case, Brownsville Station))
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Frankly, I don’t know how you could do justice to a California rock ‘n’ roll tour without visiting Los Angeles. That would be like visiting London without walking across Abbey Road. Some rock ‘n’ roll highlights in L.A.:

Richie Valen’s Grave (San Fernando Mission Cemetery, San Fernando): Famous for the song “La Bamba,” he was on tour with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper when their plane crashed on February 3, 1958 – the day the music died.

Grifffith Observatory (Griffith Park, Los Feliz): Famous James Dean scenes were shot here for “Rebel Without A Cause.”

Foster’s Freeze (11969 Hawthorne Bl., Hawthorne): This is the burger stand where young Brian Wilson saw a girl driving here daddy’s T-Bird, inspiring the Beach Boy’s song, “Fun, Fun, Fun.”

Barney’s Beanery (8447 Santa Monica Bl., West Hollywood): Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison hung out here in the late 1960’s. This is where she hit him with a Southern Comfort bottle. She partied here and at the Troubadour the night she died.

Janis Joplin’s Death Site (Landmark Hotel, now the Highland Gardens, 7047 Franklin Ave., Hollywood): She died alone, at age 27, in room 105.

Blue Jay Way (the name of a street in the Sunset Strip Hills): George Harrison rented a house on this street in 1969 just before the Beatles recorded “Magical Mystery Tour.”

John Lennon’s Star on the Hollywood Blvd. Walk of Fame is at 1750 Vine.

“Late For The Sky” Album Cover (215 Lucerne, Hollywood): The front of this house is featured on the Jackson Browne album cover.

The Lido Apartments (Yucca & Wilcox): The lobby of the Lido was used for the interior shots on the Eagles’ “Hotel California” album.

Chateau Marmont (8221 Sunset Bl., West Hollywood): In 1982, John Belushi died in one of the bungalows.

Marvin Gaye’s Death Site (2101 S. Gramercy, L.A.): On April 1, 1984, Marvin Gaye was shot here by his father, a minister.

Beverlywood Swimming School (2612 S. Robertson, L.A.): The cover of Nirvana’s “Nevermind” album (baby in the swimming pool) was shot here.

Roy Orbison’s Grave (Pierce Brothers Cemetery, 1218 Glendon, Westwood). Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys is also buried at this cemetery.

Enjoy your visit to California!
Woody
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

great stuff Woody, thanks.

i should clarify... we're taking a trip to California, and within the framework of that trip, i'd like to see some rock'n'roll-oriented sites beyond the Haight houses where the Dead and Janis lived.

but thanks for a great reply.

anyone else?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:09 PM

The Fillmore reoppened in the 90s and I believe that it is the original location - Fillmore and Geary. There is probably some info on the web site about it.

The Monterey Pop Festival was at the Monterey County Fairgrounds.