Road trip to Hana

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:49 AM
Norris

Road trip to Hana

I am planning a return trip to Maui. However this time we would like to attempt the trip to Hana. It sounds like a challenge. I would appreciate your suggestions and experiences as well as recommendations for rental cars, restaurants etc. Does it make sense to stay overnight? Any and all firsthand information will be appreciated.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:23 AM
Dick

It's just a road that's been overhyped (the difficulty, that is - the beauty is very much as advertised). Sure, it's winding and narrow but it's nothing that can be described as a challenge. It's not greatly different from the road I live on just west of Boston. Beyond Hana is different.

Stay overnight for a more liesurely trip (we did), but with a reasonably early start a round trip in a day is no problem at all.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:29 AM
Lori

Wew've done Hana as a day trip at least 7 or 8 times on visits to Maui. Get an early start (by 8 am at least) and take it slow, you will have plenty of time. There are lots of pull out spots so you can always let other drivers by (there are always a few that think it's the Indianapolis 500). The road is narrow in some places and does wind around some, but if you go slowly in those areas it is perfectly safe. It's been widened in several places that were really tricky before! The scenery is lovely so you want to enjoy it at a slow pace. The narrow bridges are just that, only room for one car, but everyone waits their turn (we have never once had a problem with a bridge). You can take a picnic lunch with you (there is a public beach with tables, etc. right in Hana itself) or you can picnic at any number of beaches (we like Hamoa - a little past Hana). There is a nice hotel in town and you can get a lovely lunch there (the restrooms are also nice ... and clean .. unlike some of the public stops along the way--this is important to me on an all day trip!) There are a couple of general stores if you want to get your food down there if you decide to picnic. As for rental cars, we've rented (for our whole Maui stays) from Budget, Avis, and Hertz and they were all about equal in standard of cars, service, etc. (we usually get a full size, i.e. Ford Taurus or something like that). Honestly there is nothing to fear on the road (except maybe a few crazies -- which are on the roads all over no matter where you go in this world). I personally drive it when we go! It will be a long day tho, so get an early start. Actually Hana itself is not too exciting, the experience is actually the trip there. Go and enjoy!!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:42 AM
Tom

The road is fine. The section that you're not allowed to take a rental car on is actually located beyond the town of Hana. Start early in the morning and you can make the trip in a day. However, if money isn't a problem, for a real treat, stay a few nights at the Hana Resort. One of the most romantic and relaxing places I've ever stayed. No tvs, just individual cottages with handmade quilts and your own hottubs overlooking the water. Incredible! But be warned it is pricey.

We took a convertible on our trip to Hana and loved it. Though, be warned that you possibly will get rained on along the way. Just take your time, stop at the various waterfalls for a swim and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:27 AM
kcd

We've done the road to Hana twice. Once in a convertible, and once in a mid-size. Definitely go for the convertible! The views are so much better, and having the open air helps if you have any tendency towards car sickness. The smaller car also helps navigate some of those sharp bends and narrow stretches in the road.