Road trip Grand Canyon and beyond!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (both newly retired) have decided to go to a few National Parks this September. I was given books and maps at AAA but didn't find the person I talked with very helpful. I asked her for advice (she had travelled to this area herself) but she was vague saying maybe it'd be best to go on a tour and to order a trip tik if we drive. I don't do well in buses and my husband wants to stop along the way to sketch and we do want to drive. I really hope you can help me figure out an itinerary and suggest some lodging options, etc. We'll fly into and out of Las Vegas and plan to be gone about two weeks. We would like two nights in Las Vegas either at the beginning or at the end of the trip; see (but not limited to) Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Sedona. My questions are:

1) Where do you suggest we stay in these areas that would be in the mid-priced range? I realize we are much too late to stay in the parks.
2) How many nights in Grand Canyon, Zion and Sedona?
3) In what order should we see the parks and Sedona?
4) Are there other parks or sites we shouldn't miss?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 11:09 PM

For two weeks you probably can do a round trip of southern Utah (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Monument Valley; and northern Arizona, including Grand Canyon NP and Antelope Canyon.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 01:54 AM

I'm with your husband, I like being able to stop when I want and spend as much time as I want in places. Tours tend to be fast & crowded and don't spend much time in any one place.

Two weeks is a nice amount of time and September is a good time to travel here. Try and avoid Labor Day weekend if you can. A loop tour will work nicely.

Here's an example of an itinerary:
Day 1 & 2: Las Vegas your two nights and one full day for Hoover Dam.

Day 3: Drive to Sedona and spend the night (I personally prefer the parks to Sedona...your experience might be different)

Day 4 & 5 Drive to Grand Canyon and spend two nights for one full day at the Grand Canyon

Day 6, 7 & 8: Drive to Moab, Utah and on the way you will see Monument Valley (don’t know if you would have time for a tour or not) and spend 3 nights in Moab to have 2 full days to see Arches, Canyonlands Island in the Sky District and if you can fit in the drives on Scenic Hwy 128 to Dewey Bridge, Hwy 279 the Potash Road

Day 9: Drive to Torrey, Utah and do the scenic drive in Capitol Reef National Park before spending one night here

Day 10 & 11: Drive Scenic Hwy 12 down to Bryce Canyon and spend 2 nights for one full day at Bryce

Day 12 & 13: Drive to Zion only 88 miles away and spend 2 nights for one full day in Zion
The drive from Zion to Las Vegas is only 3 hours.

If you had another night to spend, you might consider a night at Monument Valley too. Sorry, I can’t help with lodging because we have an RV and always camp. It doesn’t hurt to keep trying for a cancelation for lodging in the parks like Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. For Arches and Canyonlands stay in Moab. For Capitol Reef stay in Torrey.

Utahtea
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Hi marthav,

There is absolutely no reason to do this trip as a tour. You will enjoy it much more on your own. There are zillions of trip reports and itineraries on here if you need ideas, but Utahtea's outline is great.

Personally, I would skip Sedona. Sedona is a touristy city with pretty red rocks surrounded by homes and buildings. When I visited 20 years ago, I was hugely disappointed. Those pictures you see? I don't even know how they get them angled just right to not capture the houses. I would much rather spend my time in the parks and wilderness!

With that extra night or two, you would be able to overnight in Boulder or Escalante and see a bit more of that area!

Book now, because Sept is very, very popular.

There are both short and long hikes in most of the parks. The more you hike, the more you enjoy the parks. Do it if you can!
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM

If you are retired, what is the rush?

Two weeks is about 30% of the time required for a decent relaxing tour.

Vaga
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! I'm looking forward to this trip so much but I've had an illness in my family and am just getting back to planning.

Thank you Michael, Dayle and RVvagbond for your comments. And, Utahtea, thank you so much for your detailed suggested itinerary! It actually made me realize that we could be biting off more than we can chew for this particular trip. I need to make sure we have a couple of nights in each area to appease my husband who wants time to do some sketching. We have decided drop Sedona at your's and Dayle's advice.

I have a question about driving in general in these areas. We drive on relatively flat roadways and have driven up Mount Washington in NH, Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier, up Mount Hood and Crater Lake. But I've read in trip reports that parts of Rt. 12 for instance is a 'white knuckled drive'. And if some of those mountain roads I mentioned made me a nervous passenger, what will this be like? I realize we'll be driving in the mountains and I don't want to miss out on the majestic scenery our country has to offer. But instead of stressing about what possible drop offs are around the corner, I'd like some sort of warning in advance of particular routes that may be easier for someone like me. Thankyou all again in advance.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! I'm looking forward to this trip so much but I've had an illness in my family and am just getting back to planning.

Thank you Michael, Dayle and RVvagbond for your comments. And, Utahtea, for your detailed suggested itinerary! It made me realize we could be biting off more than we can chew for this trip. I need to make sure we have time in each area for my husband to do some sketching. We've decided to drop Sedona.

I have a question about driving in general in these areas. We're not used to driving in the mountains (live on the coast of Maine) and, not gonna lie, I don't love being on scary roads - it can take the fun out of traveling for me. But I also don't want to miss out on beautiful scenery either. I've read in trip reports that parts of Rt. 12 for instance are a 'white knuckled drive'. Instead of stressing about what possible drop offs are around the corner, I'd like some sort of warning in advance of particular routes that may be easier for someone like me. I've watched YouTube videos but can't really tell about this. I'm fine with driving/riding on the "mountain side" but that's not always possible.

Thank you all again in advance! I look forward to hearing from you again and finalizing my trip.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 11:51 PM

Regarding Hwy 12. If you are driving down from Torrey to Bryce for the mountain part you are on the mountain side of the road. If you are driving up from Bryce you are on the outside of the road.

Now there is a very, very short section of Hwy 12 as you are driving down from Torrey shortly after the town of Boulder, Utah called the Hogback where there are drop offs on both side of the road and then you will go down a grade for about 4 miles with a couple of switchbacks where you will be on the outside of the road and this ends at Calf Creek Falls. This however is some of the most scenic part of the drive. After Calf Creek it's an easy drive.

If you want to make this a more relaxing trip I would add 4 to 6 days or even more if you can. If that's not possible, you might consider cutting out Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef so you can concentrate on the parks that are the closest together. You could add Lake Powell/Glen Canyon National Recreational Area because it would then be on the way between Grand Canyon and Bryce.

Utahtea
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:47 AM

I think dropping Sedona is a great idea.

Remember, you are doing a loop, so you could do it in either direction, depending on which works best for timing and finding lodging.

In this area, fill your gas tank when it gets to a half, get a cooler and keep lunch food, snacks, drinks, etc. carry and drink more water than you think you need. If you want beer, wine etc. get it in Vegas, some of Utah is dry.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM

We did a similar trip at the same time of year in 2010. For Arches, we stayed at Bowen Motel in Moab. It was moderately priced and within walking distance to shops and restaurants, which was nice. The lobby had a binder with menus from all the area restaurants, which was really helpful.

For Bryce, we spent two nights at Ruby's, which is just outside the park. It is a tourist trap with a huge gift shop and mediocre restaurant, but the room was large and comfy and had a microwave and fridge.

We actually camped in the Grand Canyon for two nights and absolutely loved it. We took a tent, blow up mattress, and camp stove and stayed at the most central campground, which has a laundry and showers as well as a restaurant.

Road trips are the only way to go when it comes to seeing the Southwest, in my opinion!
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM

What a nice way to kick off your retirement! If you don't already have one, be sure to get a National Park Pass. If you are 62 or over, it's $10 for the lifetime pass.

You might get lucky for park lodging, as there are always cancellations. Get a "safety" that can be cancelled, and keep calling the park daily.

Congratulations, happy travels.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Forgot you were flying--it would be nice if you could rent camping gear for times like that...
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Hello again,

I have us staying in Las Vegas overnight then on to Zion, Bryce, Page, Sedona (decided to add that back in for a couple of days), Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and back to Las Vegas to fly out. I'm wondering if we should drive from Page to Grand Canyon instead, then to Sedona to Hoover Dam and Vegas? I am ok with changing lodging if it makes better sense as far as driving back to Vegas.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. We did get the $10 park pass - huge savings!
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 02:27 AM

I would do the Page to Grand Canyon, then Sedona, Hoover dam, Vegas. It will give you my favorite way to approach GC, from the east on 64 and you can have some down time in Sedona. If you decide to extend the stay anywhere along the way, you can cut time in Sedona..

If you can not get lodging in GC, Cameron Trading post has ok rooms right at the junction of 89 and 64 and was quite a bit less expensive. Most of the motels let you cancel a day before without charge if your plans change, so look for that when you book.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello again,
emalloy - thank you for your input! We have decided to do the route from Page to Grand Canyon, then Sedona etc. Sedona will give us a couple of days to kick back and relax before heading home. I took your advice and reserved Cameron Trading Post for an overnight, getting to the Grand Canyon the next day and staying there for one night before heading to Sedona.

Below is our itinerary (crazy to think we leave Sat & I'm still changing things a bit. But had family visiting for 10 days with two grandbabies... need I say more.)

9/12,13: Las Vegas - Monte Carlo
9/14, 15, 16: Zion - Cable Mountain 2 night, Majestic View 2 nights (couldn't get 3 nights in a row at either, which is fine.
9/17, 18: Bryce Canyon - America's Best Value Inn
9/19: Page - Best Western View of Lake
9/20: Cameron - Cameron Trading Post Hotel
9/21: Tusayan - Red Feather Lodge
9/22, 9/23: Sedona (still looking and need advice please!)
9/24: Las Vegas - booking something today for just a place to sleep before early flight...

I'd still love advice... I'm good with the hotels although I can cancel all but the one in Page (I meant to hit Fri & hit Sat in error & they wouldn't let me change it so had to add a night in Bryce - no problem!)

I still am looking at lots of Sedona lodging - any suggestions would be most welcome as I need to book by tonight or tomorrow & stop the madness! LOL

One more thing... I'm still conflicted on the car rental. I've reserved at the airport for Monday, the 14th when we leave for Zion, but should we pick it up at 11:00 PM Sat in the airport or take a cab to the hotel & then back on Mon to get it?

I think that's all - thank you, thank you!
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 12:38 PM

The airport is very close to the Vegas hotels. Picking up at 11 has the advantage of your car being with you when you want to take off in the morning and the disadvantage of being late at night and maybe an extra day of rental cost. I don't know what a cab costs, but most of the hotels do not have free shuttles.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 01:15 PM

I would still attempt to find lodging at the Grand Canyon rather than Tusayan. Call every day as people make last minute cancellations which don't show up online.

You can also look at Yavapai Lodge, it is inside the park but run by a different concessionaire than the other lodging.
http://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/yavapai-lodge
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

WhereAreWe... I took your advice and checked the Yavapai Lodge and they had rooms available. Very happy about that - thank you!

emalloy... We will not keep the car another two days, instead taking the hotel shuttle from and back to the airport. Thanks!

If anyone out there has advice regarding what time we should leave Sedona to stop at Hoover Dam, I'd appreciate it very much. I understand we may be sitting in a long line of cars for a while which is fine - just trying to figure out how early to leave. Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 06:20 AM
J62

Be aware that the rental car center at LAS is offsite and it takes time to transit to the departure terminal. It is convenient with frequent shuttles - just don't try to cut it close.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

J62, thank you! I did see that we need to be shuttled to & from the car rental place & decided to drop it off Thursday night & use the hotel shuttle for our Fri morning flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -