Road trip from Nashville to Upstate New YorK

Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 09:24 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip from Nashville to Upstate New YorK

My husband and I are looking for suggestions on a road trip from Nashville to Upstate New York Area for late May early June. We will have 2 weeks or so but are flexible on the time frame. We like to limit our driving to under 8 hrs a day. We are interested in cute little towns and beautiful scenery. We are limited to short hikes, but do love the outdoors. We have been to Niagara Falls, and New York City, but nowhere else in the State. I would love suggestions on an interesting loop to take from Nashville and back and places to stop along the way.
louky52 is offline  
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 10:49 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,664
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll try to list in driving order places I/we have been in the past 50 years. Start with Natural Bridge Virginia off I-81. Take the Skyline Drive north ending in Front Royal VA. Get back on I-81 across a small section of Maryland and into Pennsylvania. Take US 30 (Lincoln Highway) east off I-81 to Gettysburg. Spend a night in that area for sure. If you want to see a beautiful capitol building and a beautiful museum, stop in Harrisburg.
Go north from Camp Hill on US 15/US11 up over the mountain coming down into Williamsport. The headquarters of Little League baseball in in South Williamsport. I graduated from Williamsport Area Community College (now Pennsylvania College of Technology) in 1969. Continuing north on US 15/I-99 go through beautiful Tioga county PA into New York state. First stop is the Corning Museum of Glass. They have been making glass in Corning for more than 150 years but they have a piece of glass in the museum that is more than 1000 years old.
Going north from Corning (or Elmira) you have a choice of several of the Finger lakes to see. My favorite is Canandaigua Lake but Lake Geneva and Seneca are also beautiful. Things to see in Rochester are the George Eastman House and the Strong Museum of toys which has the largest doll collection you could imagine
Since you have seen Niagara Falls, you can go through Buffalo and make a stop in Erie PA to see Presque Isle State Park on Lake Erie. Going west from Erie, stop in Cleveland to see at least the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I'm sure you can pick out a couple more places to see in Ohio and Kentucky on the way home.
tomfuller is offline  
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 11:22 AM
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomfuller
I'll try to list in driving order places I/we have been in the past 50 years. Start with Natural Bridge Virginia off I-81. Take the Skyline Drive north ending in Front Royal VA. Get back on I-81 across a small section of Maryland and into Pennsylvania. Take US 30 (Lincoln Highway) east off I-81 to Gettysburg. Spend a night in that area for sure. If you want to see a beautiful capitol building and a beautiful museum, stop in Harrisburg.
Go north from Camp Hill on US 15/US11 up over the mountain coming down into Williamsport. The headquarters of Little League baseball in in South Williamsport. I graduated from Williamsport Area Community College (now Pennsylvania College of Technology) in 1969. Continuing north on US 15/I-99 go through beautiful Tioga county PA into New York state. First stop is the Corning Museum of Glass. They have been making glass in Corning for more than 150 years but they have a piece of glass in the museum that is more than 1000 years old.
Going north from Corning (or Elmira) you have a choice of several of the Finger lakes to see. My favorite is Canandaigua Lake but Lake Geneva and Seneca are also beautiful. Things to see in Rochester are the George Eastman House and the Strong Museum of toys which has the largest doll collection you could imagine
Since you have seen Niagara Falls, you can go through Buffalo and make a stop in Erie PA to see Presque Isle State Park on Lake Erie. Going west from Erie, stop in Cleveland to see at least the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I'm sure you can pick out a couple more places to see in Ohio and Kentucky on the way home.
Thank you Tom. We have done Skyline drive, but I will investigate the other areas you have mentioned.
louky52 is offline  
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 08:12 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Near the top of my list of places to visit in the US are the Gorges of Ithaca. Tremendous beauty. Watkins Glen, Enfield Glen (located in Robert Treman State Park) are stunning. When we visited in Summer they provided a shuttle back so you only had to walk the gorge one way, but maybe they do that other times of the year as well. I would consider this fairly easy.

Corning Glass Museum, as already suggested by tomfuller is marvelous, and they have programs you can participate in (like fusing glass) so it's a very dynamic place. But you may want to look into that in advance as those programs fill up.
shelemm is online now  
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 01:23 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,547
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because of its position on Lake Erie and at the western end of the Erie Canal and because of its proximity to Niagara Falls and the source of power for the developing demand for electricity, Buffalo was an important and prosperous city at the beginning of the twentieth century. Architectural treasures abound. Be sure to see and tour the Darwin Martin house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

https://martinhouse.org

Did you know FLW designed a filling station? Itís in the PierceArrow museum in Buffalo.

https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/...pected-legacy/
k_marie is online now  
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 06:40 AM
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are considering the following places. Letchworth State Park, Watkins Glen State Park, Ithaca, NY and the surrounding falls, Corning, NY and then down toward Williamsport, PA to make our way back to Nashville. We may also do a short repeat visit to Niagara Falls since it has been years since we visited there.

We do love small towns and walking the neighborhoods of larger ones. We love being out in nature but can't do hikes over 3 mi roundtrip anymore due to health reasons.

Could anyone give me an estimate of time for the different areas? I am trying to figure out timing and start making reservations in different areas for the trip.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
louky52 is offline  
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 06:59 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornell University graduation is May 24-26. You might want to avoid the Ithaca area at that time.
martharap is offline  
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 07:05 AM
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by martharap
Cornell University graduation is May 24-26. You might want to avoid the Ithaca area at that time.
Thanks, we will definitely keep this in mind for the timing of this trip.
louky52 is offline  
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 05:18 AM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you go on to alltrails.com (you might have to sign up) you will have all details of possible hikes, just about anywhere you could want to go in the U.S. and many places abroad.

In Robert H. Treman State Park, the Red Pine and Gorge Trail Loop is 1.4 miles. Watkins Glen is 1.9 miles RT. And there may be the possibility of a shuttle back, but you'd have to check with the park.

What's amazing about these trails is the drama of the scenery in tight spaces. The geological composition allows for unique erosion and stunning waterworks. As opposed to Letchworth with is a much bigger park with a huge gorge, but is in some ways less special.
shelemm is online now  
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 08:32 AM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelemm
If you go on to alltrails.com (you might have to sign up) you will have all details of possible hikes, just about anywhere you could want to go in the U.S. and many places abroad.

In Robert H. Treman State Park, the Red Pine and Gorge Trail Loop is 1.4 miles. Watkins Glen is 1.9 miles RT. And there may be the possibility of a shuttle back, but you'd have to check with the park.

What's amazing about these trails is the drama of the scenery in tight spaces. The geological composition allows for unique erosion and stunning waterworks. As opposed to Letchworth with is a much bigger park with a huge gorge, but is in some ways less special.
Thanks so much, I will check out alltrails.
louky52 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -