Road trip from Baltimore to NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, this is going to be my first time at the east coast (I live in west coast). We are going to meet my family from Costa Rica, at the beggining of this december 2016. Planning stay 4 nights at Baltimore, then drive to NY. We are traveling with 3 kids (age from 6 to 9). My question is, there is something on the way worth it to see with the kids? we are open to stay one night on the way before NY. Also my niece wants to see the snow, not sure if it will be snowing, maybe it is a nice mountain place with snow that we can stay one night? thanks.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 07:22 PM

It's only about 200 miles from Baltimore to NYC (about a 3 hour drive) So sipping somewhere on route may not be "worth it" since there are so many interesting things to do/see with your children in NYC.

However, if you want to see "mountains" you could make a detour to the Pocono area of Pennsylvania and visit Camelback Ski area - they have snowmaking machines so your kids will see snow.

Or, go a bit further west and spend time at Hershey Park (Hershey, PA) where they have a very nice "Christmas Candyland celebration. For more info check out their website: http://www.hersheypark.com/seasons/christmas.php

Hard to say if you'll see any natural snow during your trip - snow in the Baltimore/NYC area is rare in early December but it can happen. It will be up to Mother Nature.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 07:23 PM

Oops! that should be "...so stopping somewhere..." not "sipping somewhere..."
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 07:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Having a car in either city is inconvenient and expensive for parking. Consider taking one of the NE Regional trains or the Bolt bus.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

@roams hershey park looks spectacular, just perfect for the kids. Thanks.
@tom I know parking is very expensive, I will check the train and bus thanks.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 04:16 AM

Hershey is a good recommendation. The Poconos may be a bit too out-of-the-way. And there really is no guarantee of snow then, even in the Poconos. (Snow-making machines don't have quite the same effect as a real snowfall.)

I assume you're flying out of NY(?). If so, you could drive from Balt. to Hershey, then drive to NJ at any one of several places, drop the car, and take the train into the city.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

@vincenzo Thank you.