road from Anchorage to Seward

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Alaska, and am trying to decide whether to drive or take the train from Anchorage to Seward. I will definitely be renting a car for another section of my trip. But I am wondering about whether to wait until I return from Seward before renting the car. I have these questions:

1. I read somewhere that scenery on this route is better from the train than when driving. Is this true?

2. What are driving conditions like on this road? Does it go over any mountains? Does it involve any difficult driving, e.g. hairpin turns?

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Can't compare the scenery as I've never taken the train, but the driving conditions are pretty easy.

There are curvy sections early on when you're near the bay but no hairpin turns, and you cross a pass to get over to Seward but it's nothing like a high mountain road in the US west.

You will probably want a car in Seward unless you're there a short time and doing just a fjords trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Maybe it will help you to picture a highway with the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other. I think there are a few places where you can see the train tracks. We haven't taken the train but the obvious disadvantage to driving is the driver can't enjoy the scenery as much. With a car, you will want to make stops for photo ops. If the tide is in there is the possibility of seeing whales in the ocean. You aren't driving in the mountains but next to them.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Easy drive. Much of the time you can see train tracks from car. Advantage is then you have a car in Seward as well.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for this information.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Very easy drive. I posted my opinion on the train on another post that you have. We loved the train. Usually stuff like that bores us. The scenary is totally different from the train and the road. The train only follows the path of the road part of the way. It is worth it to rent a car and have drop charges.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Joyce~ the train ride is very nice, but true that in summer, you would miss out on some great scenic stops, and areas between Anchorage and Seward, if you did not have a car..

The portion of the Seward Highway, south to Turnagain Arm, is freshly paved.. we drive up to Anchorage all year long.(live on Kenai Peninsula).
You can pull over at numerous places,and look for whales to your right, or sheep, to the left, above on the rocky ledges..you see lots of happy people pointing, taking pictures, and talking into their cell phones.

BUT wait! here is a wildlife center(signs on your right), and a good variety of Ak. critters to take pix of.. if you like.

You will pass Portage, then climb up the hill, passing motorhomes, until you reach the summit, which as said, is an easy drive..
I even let my teen drive us home many times, with no meds...

then after the road levels out, you are at Summit Lake Lodge, a great place to stop, have lunch, walk off the car tush, and take photos.

About fifteen minutes from there,(ten when I drive) you will see a sign for Seward, which is about thirty miles ahead..
this part of the drive is bright green, and there is a huge aqua colored lake to your right, then more lakes on the left as you continue..

traffic will most likely be heavy, but again, you can stop along the way.

I'm sure you know about Exit Glacier and the other activities once there.. numerous threads mention them..
very worthwhile, along with the various marine cruises.. enjoy your trip, J.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 07:18 AM

The train is definately superior scenery. For clarification, the train only parallels the Seward Highway about 1/3 the distance.

If you are renting a round trip Anchorage car, the most scenic portion of the Seward Highway is on that end, about 60++ miles. So it's easy to add the drive anytime from Anchorage, which is what I do several times during every trip.

You do not need a car in Seward. There are Exit Glacier shuttle buses and taxis elsewhere. Walking very doable if you have no mobility limitations.