Ritz Carlton Kapalua

Search

Ritz Carlton Kapalua

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ritz Carlton Kapalua

I plan on staying at the Ritz Carlton on Maui in March. I'll be staying at the Club Level and would appreciate feedback from fodorites who have stayed there recently. Interested in perceptions of the rooms and grounds in general, as well as the Club specifically. Thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might check trip advisor for quality reviews. I haven't stayed there but the place looks beautiful from the outside though!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I did check TripAdvisor and was surprised by the number of negative comments - so I thought I'd try to get some more opinions here. Thanks.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM

We stayed on club level for four days at the beginning of November, and it was great. When we left, they told us that they were closing club level (two floors) for the next month to renovate. We would go back again in a heartbeat. Cheers, Al
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Stayed there in August and it was great. You should eat breakfast at the restaurant on grounds. It is fantastic. You may be able to book a package with room and breakfast through the Ritz-Carlton 800 number.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Al - do you happen to know if all Club level rooms have water views? I couldn't determine that from the website. The reservation agent did say that all rooms at the Club have great views but a firsthand account would help.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Tom - Keep in mind that the resort is set back from the ocean due to a very controversial early planning error... the original plans had the resort directly on an ancient burial ground... after much protest and replanning, the resort was moved inland several hundred feet and the burial ground remains undisturbed and off limits to the guests. This makes views and access to the beach areas quite a distance and although you can see the ocean, you will not be able to see the beach.

The hotel does offer golf cart shuttle to the beach but while we were there, more people were using the lavish pool area.... the grounds are very nice, however not as lavish as other properties we stayed at...many of which feature the grounds as a display of hundreds of exotic plantings as part of their appeal...

In summary, the Ritz was a first class property for service and accomodation with some drawbacks on view and access to the ocean... have fun.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Hi Tom, I don't know that all CL rooms have water views, but I believe they would, judging from the layout. Our room on the ninth floor looked out over the pool, with distant water views. It was very nice. Rooms on the other side of the building probably have water views, but would not look over the pool area.. The real draw to CL is the private lounge with complimentary breakfast lunch, appies, and late night desserts, plus complimentary beer, wine, champagne,mai tai's etc. It's a wonder we left the floor at all. Cheers, Al
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Gary - Thanks. I do realize that the Ritz Carlton is set back and up from the beach. I don't think it will negatively affect my stay there. It's my understanding that it is only about a five minute walk. I've stayed at EL Conquistador in Puerto Rico and you have to take a 15 minute boat ride to get to the beach there. I found it enjoyable, although I can see why some people view it as a disadvantage.

Al - I love the club too. I usually go to the Ritz Carlton in San Juan and stay at the club level. The food and beverage presentations are great, as well as the relaxing atmosphere of the lounge. I am really looking forward to experiencing that in Maui, especially since this is supposed to be a better RItz Carlton property than the one in Puerto Rico.

Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Stayed at the Ritz twice, last time 2 years ago.Problems...sandblased on the beach in NOvember, etc... Stayed at Kapalua in October(due for major renovation next year, Marriott took over (uh-oh)) golf partner at Kapalua said, "wish he was at Kapalua", major cockroach in his room and bad attitiude with the hotel help-same happened to us a year before." Lunch by the pool is about $30 for 2 and the former threads comparing Maui to Puerto rico should be a red flag! the Conquistador, years ago before reonovation + bay full of debris and most of the buildings and homes from the airport to the resort had bars over the windows.
We prefer Wailea.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:09 PM

Clarification, in October, our golf partner WHEN we played Kapalua was staying at the Ritz and had big problems.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Deloris - no offense but I cannot even understand your post.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Sorry Tom
We stayed at the Ritz 2 times in the past 5 years in November. We found found the wind and sandblasting conditions at the beach were common at that time of year. The second visit, they didn't honor our requests for room requirements and didn't mention the rooms were getting run down. This past October, we stayed at the Kapalua Resort and played golf there with a fellow who was staying at the Ritz. He stated he wished he was staying at Kapalua Resort (in spite of the fact that it is due for a major rehab next year) The Ritz had a very large insect (discussion on the course: roach or termite, running over the bed.. He had to change rooms but was still dissatisfied with service, attitude, etc. I bet it was a roach as they are sedan size in Hawaii) We had a "quick"lunch there (Ritz) shared a turkey wrap, beer and 1 pina colada=$30. That was the cheapest snack on the menu as the wrap was about $15 and we were hungry!Drinks cost big time!! Should have returned to Kapalua Resort for a "snack" by the pool. Prefer Wailea Resorts!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM

+ bay full of debris and most of the buildings and homes from the airport to the resort had bars over the windows.
We prefer Wailea.

What the heck are you talking about? And just to let you know, the Ritz Carlton has NO control over the wind or sand spray on the beach.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:44 PM

So, not all other areas in Maui have that problem, choose accordingly!