Riding by Bus for first time-Any hints??

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 04:07 AM
Vivian

Riding by Bus for first time-Any hints??

My family of 4 will be traveling by bus between Maine and Pennsylvania in July. We are first timers to the Greyhound bus services and would like any advice from those who have already been traveling on the bus. What kind of things do we take to keep the kids busy? Any help would be appreiated. Thanks.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 06:28 AM
Owen O'Neill

Twenty years ago I had my major long-distance bus experience and I imagine little has changed. My trip was from NYC to Tuscon AZ at 67 hours!
I can't address the issue of entertaining the kids but advise that you bring a few small travel pillows to allow leaning over against the window or armrest to snooze. Most critical: BRING FOOD AND DRINK!! Most bus stations are in areas with few or no dining options other than vending machines (or if you're REALLY lucky some fast food place). I'd also advise something like Dramamine for the kids as the motion of the bus, vibration of engine etc. while not unsettling for adults, vcan cause the little ones to get carsick. Thus, make sure to bring supplies needed to deal with this possibility (a few gallon size ziploc bags, a hand towel and some wetnaps).

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 01:03 PM
monica

Dear Vivian,
travelled greyhound last year coast to coast.had a nice experience.
no hints for kids; it is going to be tiring for them.
anyway make sure you get at the station earlier enough to check your luggage and GET FRONT SEATS.very back ones are unconfortable . small pillows are ok for better rest.if you have any transfer keep an eye on checked luggage make sure it goes your way!
have a nice trip
Monica

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 01:03 PM
monica

Dear Vivian,
travelled greyhound last year coast to coast.had a nice experience.
no hints for kids; it is going to be tiring for them.
anyway make sure you get at the station earlier enough to check your luggage and GET FRONT SEATS.very back ones are unconfortable . small pillows are ok for better rest.if you have any transfer keep an eye on checked luggage make sure it goes your way!
have a nice trip
Monica

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 02:41 PM
Pat

OOOOOIIIUUUUU. Bus stations are nasty and the general clientele that ride them don't smell too good either. I hope this isn't your VACATION.
Good luck.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 09:04 PM
kam

Are you sure that there are no trains that could take you to the same destinations??? Buses in this country are really very ugly. There are very cheap airfares right now and Amtrak is another solution---a rental car is another. I would do almost anything than to take the bus!

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 06:57 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Vivian: Though I too probably would prefer a train or a plane, I HAVE traveled by long distance Greyhound and I don't think you should be put off by the negative notes you've received here. Bus STATIONS can be a problem--so follow the advice about WetWipes etc. On long trips I found most everyone raced for the restrooms at the stops--so I raced for the food and did the washing up afterwards. Not doing so could result in hearing your bus departure called just before you are served whatever food you've ordered. The distance you plan to cover isn't all that long--so I don't think you will have problems. Ask your pediatrician about the Dramamine-for-the-kids idea. He or she may have a better suggestion. Good trip. Joan

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 08:02 AM
Karen

Vivian:
I had the worst travel experience of my life riding the "dogs." In 1983 I went from Baltimore to New Orleans. They told me I would change buses in DC and then not change again. SIX bus changes and nasty terminals and 27 hours later, I arrived in NO. I did it because it was only $99--had I known, I would have spent $500 and flown. I'm glad some of the responses had positive experiences, but for me, you couldn't pay me to get on a regular Greyhound again. Good luck if you choose this way. Did you consider renting a car?

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 12:31 PM
gary

Left yet? Bus trips aren't bad if you don't have high expectations...The front seats have most(only) leg room (but I don't care much, I'm easy, and that's why I can take buses enjoyably). Always double check bus transfers and times. Greyhound's computerized system is good, everytime a bus driver gave me conficting advise, the computerized info was correct. At some bus stations you have to transfer your own baggage yourself.

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 07:15 PM
Debbie

Re: the kids: how old are they? It will depend on the ages as to what you take. Cards (old maids, crazy 8's, regular playing cards, or books (coloring or otherwise) and paper & pencils You can make up your own games: who can identify the next car from....(license plate game) Take an inexpensive checkers set, for the folding board it provides for the kids to write on, if not the checkers themselves. Check with your local library about games for kids on trips. Figure you have as much room as a seat in a movie. And as the above postings noted, the leg room is the front seat, the exhaust and bouncing toward the rear.

Good Luck!