Reload this Page >

Review of "Dance of the Vampires"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Julie

For those who have been asking about this musical, the NY Times review is out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/10/arts/theater/10VAMP.html?8hpib

Not very positive, I'm afraid.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:14 AM
RAE

The critic on last night's news compared it to one of those movies that use special effects and car chases to cover a film with very little plot.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:38 AM
noVampires

I am so glad we did not get tickets to this. I kept waiting for one person to say that there was something they liked beside Michael Crawfords voice.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Jayelle

I'm glad I passed on this also. When I got the $65 discount offer a couple of months ago, I was so tempted to go ahead and order tickets. Now I'm happy that I didn't. I wonder how long this show's run will be.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Sue

Oh great - we have tickets for March. Wonder if it will still be running?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Topper

TTT.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Lisa

This show was trashed in a USA Today review today also. I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck with tickets for it.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:47 PM
DCG

Gee Lisa, that was helpful! Could we hear from someone who has actually SEEN the production? I have tickets for January and I intend on viewing it with an open mind, regardless of the reviews.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:57 PM
jill

The review was more entertaining that the play!
I would hope that if you have tickets, that it will close before you see them, that way at least you can get your money back.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:59 PM
NYGirl

DCG-someone did see the play. His name is Ben Brantley and he works for the New York Times.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:25 PM
DCG

Thanks NYGirl ([email protected]), that was loads of help.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:55 AM
xxx

OK, DCG, you're the one who wants to hear from someone who has actually seen the play. Personally I'd trust the opinions of a series of experienced theatre critics who HAVE seen the play, over the opinions of some once-a-year-oh-let's-go-see-a-show tourist anyday.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Frank

I notice no one will admit having seen and enjoyed the show. Well we saw it about a month ago and really enjoyed it, as did the rest of the audience that evening . Big sets, lush melodies, and an excellant cast, much in the Andrew Lloyd Webber mode.

The storyline had problems, but all in all it was an enjoyable evening. Sorry to see it was so badly trashed by the critics. Clive Barnes of the New York Post seemed to best reflect my opinion of the show, an excerpt follows:

"Not all is lost. Some of the jokes work and David Gallo's scenery is opulent and witty, just as Ann Hould-Ward's costumes are extravagant.

Some of the special effects - particularly those involving mirrors (remember that vampires cast no reflections) - are spectaculars, as are John Rando's staging and John Carrafa's choreography.

Credit is also due "fight director and illusionist" Rick Sordelet.

Steinman has written music and lyrics that are never less than acceptable, but his book, a collaboration with Kunze and David Ives, is muddled and weak - and the performances suffer as a result.

Crawford, who has gathered some girth since "Phantom," can still, as the villainous Count von Krolock, turn on that mellifluous yet sinister voice.

As the young couple he threatens, the pretty, clear-voiced Mandy Gonzalez and Max von Essen, are a lively pair, and the unflappable Rene Auberjonois is superb as the incompetent Professor Abronsius.

But despite Crawford's undeniable star presence and the enthusiasm of the cast, this vampire excursion needs a transfusion.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 05:15 AM
DCG

Thanks Frank!

I realize the production has problems, but the snide comments posted here (i.e. " I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck with tickets for it.") by others really were not beneficial. I have read the Times & USA today reviews but sometimes it is nice to hear from folks here who saw a particular show. So far it looks like RAE, noVampires, Jayelle, Lisa and NYCGirl are passing out reviews based on what they had read (or heard), not what they saw. I for one don't take Ben Brantley's word as gospel, and Frank, I too noticed that as soon as the bad reviews hit the papers, it became "politically correct" not to admit to actually liking even 5 minutes of the show. Oh well, it will be far from perfect, but it will still be an evening of theater experience - good or bad!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:14 AM
NYGirl

DCG
I did not take the remark, about being stuck with tickets, as snide! I thought the same thing, as I am sure many people did when they read the review.
Not taking a critics word is up to the reader. When a play is getting "good buzz" you hear about it. There was dead silence on this one, they were "ironing out" the problems in the beginning, sounded like it was crap and they knew it!
While Ben Brantley or John Simon, may not be the last word in what is good on Broadway-their word may be just a touch more to my liking, than what someone from SmallTown USA, who never goes to the theater and thinks anything with dancing and singing is great! Not that that is bad, it just is not an informed opinion, which is what critics give.
Someone on this forum, gave his review of the Producers, he hated it. Should we all think that because he was the "man in the street", that we should take that opinion to heart and not see that show?
Of course people discuss what the critics say!
Last night when reading the review, my husband laughed and said that it sounded so bad that it made him want to see it! While we will most likely not do that, there are probably others who will.
DOn't take this so personally, DGC, it is just a discussion.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Me

DCG is obviously grasping at straws since he/she has already shelled out quite a bit of money for those tickets. NYGirl is right. Even the pre-opening buzz on this show was not very good, and the reviews just confirmed that viewpoint. I've yet to read a decent review of this show, which means ticket sales are likely to dry up. I doubt that it will be around for very long.

I actually do hope that you find a way to enjoy the show, DCG, given the cost of those tickets. However, you should stop taking out your frustration at being stuck with tickets to this clunker on the people here.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:39 AM
DCG

Hello, No, I am not frustrated, (or "obviously grasping at straws") I just wanted to hear from someone on this forum who actually saw the show - that's all, no big deal. My tickets are for late January (sorry - I didn't "shell out quite a bit of money" as a previous poster assumed I did, I bought inexpensive seats) and as I said before, we will enjoy the show, good or bad. Sorry to have gotten everyone (except Frank who always has a level-headed response) all riled up.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Katie

Well, I saw it; it was "ok" not great. Entertaining, but it will not play for years to come. I did feel the sets were well-done and it did make for an enjoyable evening.

In DCG's defense, why are we now bashing him/her for buying expensive tickets? I read through the posts and it doesn't say that they spent tons of money to see the show. Prices range from $30 - $95.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Ellen

We have tickets for January and as always, I am going to go with an open mind. Many people didn't like it, nor did the critics. However, my in-laws, saw it and really enjoyed it. It was the same with Movin' Out. Many people panned it, but we had a pleasant evening. No, it wasn't the blow out theater experience of a life time. It was 2 hrs of entertainment. I guess if you always go with very high expectations you are more likely to be disappointed than not.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:08 AM
HatedIt

Well, I saw the show a couple of weeks ago and its definitely not worth the money. I'd hoped that anything with Michael Crawford would be decent, but no such luck. I guess I'm not impressed with fancy sets. I expect some substance. Oh well, live and learn.

DCG, you need to grow up. You insulted everyone on this thread, by name, who said anything that you didn't like about this show. Your behavior is childish to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -