Reload this Page >

Restaurants in the Cape May vicinity?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:43 PM
karen

Hey, I'm always looking for new places to try when I'm at the Jersey shore. Most of the places I know of in Cape May are very pricey and fancy or they're shacks. Can anyone recommend some that are good but not break the bank? Also, since I won't be able to dine every night without the kids, can you also recommend some kid-friendly spots as well? These restaurants don't have to be right in Cape May either. Anything up to Sea Isle City would work (I'm in Stone Harbor). Thanks

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:51 PM
???

Have you ever gone to Menz's in Rio Grande not far from Wildwood? The food is not gourmet but the restaurant is really interesting. I haven't been there in years but I remember it as filled with "kitschy" stuff with lots to look at. Try finding someone whose been there lately to see if it's still fun.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Amy

While we were in Cape May (a bit off season, so not everything was open) a few years back, we had a great breakfast and dinner at the Mad Batter. I don't recall it being expensive, and it wasn't fancy or a shack.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:39 PM
karen

Amy and ?: Thanks for your replies. Have been to Menz's and once was quite enough. The atmosphere was hmmm...memorable but the food wasn't. As for Mad Batter, they've gotten much more expensive recently but would still probably be a good bet without the kids. Keep those suggestions coming and thanks again.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Dawn

I live right outside of Stone Harbor. Just recently we went to the Tuckohoe Inn (up the parkway & get off at Ocean City and get on RT. 9 North it is on the right hand side before that little bridge. The menu was price like the Lobster House (in Cape May) but they also have lite fares and a childrens menu. In Sea Isle we have eaten at the two rest. that you see when you come down off the bridge in the center of town. Over in Wildwood by the bowling alley is a Itl. Rest. I believe it is called Alfes very good food not real expensive. I agree with you about Menz we went last year and we hadn't been for a very long time and I thought the food was terrible. In Stone harbor we have gotten pizza from Peace Pizza and was very good. Hope this help email if you have any other questions or if I can think of anymore I will let you know. We are always trying to think of a place to go in the summer when everything is opened.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 03:15 PM
karen

Dawn: Thanks for all the info. We'll have to try the Tuckahoe Inn when we're up in July! We too have been to the Sea Isle City places (Carmen's and the Lobster Loft) but that's getting old. I do have one for you. The best italian food around is Ninos right in Cape May Courthouse on rt 9. If you can think of any more places, just let me know. Maybe I'll see you at Springers in July!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:43 AM
Carl

Karen,
The best family dining in Cape May BY FAR is Mangia Mangia Italian Restaurant. It's got fast and friendly service, a good kids' menu and it won't kill the bank like most Cape May places. It's BYOB and you should try to get there early - it can be pretty crowded in the busy season.

-Carl.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Me

We love Cape May! DH and I even got engaged there. Live only an hour away. Here are my recommendations.

GODMOTHERS--Italian, homestyle meals...big portions. Mmmmm!

FRESCO'S--Won't break the bank, but it is a nice restaurant. If you love pasta/Mediterranian cuisine, you'll love Fresco's.

MAD BATTER--For breakfast; very creative!

(For a cheapy but good breakfast, UNCLE BILL'S PANCAKE HOUSE)

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Mark

Karen,

I live in Mays Landing and travel to eat in Cape May often.

Good place to take the kids is the Bellevue Tavern in Cape May Court House right on Main st next to the Fleet Bank.

There is a great Italian place just down Rt 9 from there on the left as you are headed to Cape May (Can't remember the name)

In Cape May Proper there are a few:

Waters Edge (Pricy but my favorite)

Peter Shields Inn (Fair)

Ugly Mug (Bar and Rest. - inexpensive, great margaritas)

Jackso Mountain cafe on the Wasington St. Mall is fairly inexpensive

Peaches at Sunset

there is the Deauville inn in Strathmere

Huggits for take out snadwiches in Cape May courthouse is the TOPS.

Hope that this helps. If you need any other suggestions let me know via e-mail, and have a wonderful trip/visit. LOL

Mark