Restaurants in Sacramento - Sat night

Mar 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants in Sacramento - Sat night

My husband and I will be in Sacramento tomorrow (Saturday) staying at the Marriott Residence Inn on 15th St near the Capitol. We are attending a funeral in the morning and then seeing family on Sunday, but will have Saturday evening to ourselves - so I am looking for recommendations for a place to eat Saturday night.

I checked out some maps and it looks like there are some places within a few blocks of the hotel, but I don't know anything about them. It would be ideal to be able to walk to dinner though since I think by Saturday night we will be in need of drinks. We like Mexican, Italian, traditional American, Thai, Indian, brewery restaurants, Mediteranean, Middle Eastern, Vietnamese... We are up for most types of food except Sushi. Price wise, we are looking to keep the whole thing under $100.

Any recommendations?
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Here are some choices within easy walking distance from the Marriott. I'll post the web sites that have menus to see if what you'd order would fit your budget.

Spataro - Italian good every time I go. http://www.paragarys.com/go/prg/loca...hasFrames=true

Capitol Garage - America/Bistro style food http://www.capitolgarage.com/CG_Dinner.shtml

deVere's Irish Pub - http://www.deverespub.com/de%20Veres%20menu.pdf

33rd Street Bistro - So good http://www.bistro33.com/bistro33_mid...enuDinner.html

There are so many choices and other Fodorites may have more recommedations.
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Those look like great choices. Thanks Suzie I'll check back later to see if anybody else has chimed in.
Mar 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM

All of Suzie's recs are great. I also really like Zocalo for upscale mexican.

Too bad you aren't in Sac tonight. We are having a mini GTG at Paesano's at 6. Surfergirl is up from SoCal, so about 10 of us are going to meet her. She is also staying at the Marriott.

Sorry you have to attend a funeral.

MY
Mar 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I like Zocolos too -
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michelle and Sunbum. I looked at Zocalos web site and they have blackberry marguaritas on the menu. That may be the deciding factor for me

And thanks for the condolences. Funerals are terrible, but we will get to see some folks that we don't see often.
Mar 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Hi November,

We talked about you last night at the GTG. I'm thinking we might go to Zocolos tonight as well, it was pointed out by Janis last night as we walked from the restaurant we met at. BTW, group, it was a delight meeting you all -- thank you so much for the GTG!! It was awesome. You'll be at the hotel we're at -- we've been here twice and it is in perfect proximity to a host of restaurants down L street heading towards 18th and away from the Capitol buildings.

DeVere's is two doors down and opened about a year ago. I love it. Pub drinks and food -- the food is surprisingly good and not expensive. So we'll either go to Zocolos or DeVeres, depending.

Hope to see you there, and very sorry about the funeral.
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Well, we were going to go to Zocalos for dinner, but while we were sitting in the MVP sports bar watching the Cal Bears slaughter Stanford (Go Bears!), and perusing the local Saco rag (like our LA Weekly), wherein I discover that Hal Holbrook was in town, and playing his Mark Twain at the Commmunity Center 2 blocks from our hotel that evening. Haven't seem this performance in about 25 years, and Hal now being older (by 15 years at 85) than Twain was when he died, we figured it was time we go back for another performance, since who knows when or if he might be back down in our neck of the woods.

So, instead, we stopped at Aioli, and tapas/spanish bar we've had our eye on for a few years, sat at the bar and had an outstanding paella and a few decent sangrias to wash it down. Oozing with atmosphere, and sitting at the copper bar was an excellent choice.

Then off to the theatre. I'm impressed. Hal has obviously grown into his character and doesn't have to wear so much makeup to portray an older man, and doesn't have to fake walking slow, or waiting for words to come to him. Somehow over the years he BECAME Mark Twain, so it was really a performance of a lifetime. Sheer genius.

Today we discovered a great, great little music store called the "Beat" with some really off the wall, out there, obscure, hard to find music, as well as all the usual stuff. I'd been trying to locate an OMD CD for a few years now, and found the infamous BBC John Peel Sessions -- such a find!
Mar 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM

glad to hear DeVeres is doing well- it is owned my a friend of my daughters
Mar 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Hey everybody - I'm back from Sac. I wish I could say "a good time was had by all" but we WERE there for a funeral. We made the best of it though.

Saturday we had a late lunch at Zocalos, which was really good. It was the blackberry marguarita that tipped the scales in Zocalos' favor - very enjoyable. I ordered the carnitas and my husband ordered the enchiladas in mole. Both were fantastic. The mole sauce was a little sweet for my husband's tastes, so we traded plates and were both happy. I thought the mole was wonderful. We sat outside because the weather turned out to be decent and there were a fair number of people out and about, so we had good people-watching.

Later in the evening, we walked over to a place we had heard about called Brew-It-Up on 14th and H. Really nice selection of beer on their menu and they have mix-and-match 5 oz. samplers of 4. We each got a sampler, so we were able to sample 8 beers total. 6 were great, 2 were just ok. We ordered a small meal - I had a blackened chicken panini that was quite tasty. Good, solid type of food you would expect in a brewery restaurant. We bought bottles of beer to take home. They've got beer brewing right off the dining room, so it smells wonderful in there. And the staff was really friendly. If there are Sac beer-lovers who haven't tried Brew-It-Up, check it out.

Sunday we met up with my aunt for brunch at Hoppy Brewing Co. on Folsom. We learned about Hoppy about 10 years ago or so when my aunt lived in midtown and we've been going there ever since. I never thought of Hoppy for brunch, but it was good. And we brought home a couple bottles of beer from there too.

And as we were heading home from Sac later in the day after visiting some other family, we realized we were hungry again. We happened to be driving past Davis, so we decided to continue our theme and stopped at Sudwerks for an early dinner. Food was pretty good - had a chicken schnitzel and jaeger schnitzel. I tried the dunklweisen which was great - wished I could have had a whole glass rather than a few sips, but you know, had to drive and all.