restaurants in madison, wisconsin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one know of any good restaurants in Madison? We're visiting our daughter this weekend and need some suggestions. We'll probably go to Angelic Brewing Friday night, but need a suggestion for Saturday. Nothing too fancy, but not interested in State Street Brats or the like. (one of our kids is a semi-vegetarian who eats fish)

We may go to the Arboretum Saturday, or even Bariboo, so it could even be someplace out near those areas if you have any suggestions (but not wisconsin Dells!)
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Are you looking for a Chain-style restraunt or something more madison? And how much can you spend?

Sai-Ba Thong is a great thai restraunt on University Ave just west of the downtown area.

There are many good restraunts on state street (not just brats) African, Middle Eastern, Pasta etc.

A good steak place downtown is JOhnny Delmonicos, they also have fish, but their other restraunt Ocean's Grill is much better for non-meat eaters (and a little less $$).

The Essen Haus is nice, but you are already going to a beer hall.

There is a grill your own place called Prime Quarter near East Towne Mall, but the fish is limited to Salmon and usually (but not always) one other selection.

Keep in mind that most restraunts in Madison (even chains) do not take reservations for Saturday night, so get there early if you don't want to wait for 2+ hours.

Don't know baraboo itself, but on the way back there is Green Acres on the SE side of Sauk City, and just south of Sauk in Roxbury there is the Dorf Haus (best pan-fried walleye I have ever gotten in a restraunt, and ask for Spatzel as a sub for the potatoes!!!).

I you are near Devil's lake around lunch time just north of the park there is a bar/rest called Hooties (not at all like hooters) and we go there often for pizza and other lunch sandwiches when visiting the park.

Have fun!

You may know this; but the just a little trivia; the official word for those of us who eat fish, but not other meat is pescetarian.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Casa de Lara is a wonderful, upscale (but not expensive) Mexican restaurant with 2 locations: one on State St., the other south of the beltline on Fish Hatchery Rd (near the arboretum). I know they have shrimp dishes on the menu but not sure about fish. A friend, who's a rather picky eater, declared the tequila pork chops at the Fish Hatchery location the best restaurant meal he's ever had.

On the way back from Baraboo, try the Blue Spoon Creamery in Prairie du Sac for salads, soups and sandwiches as well as Culver's frozen custard. They have a balcony where you can eat outside and overlook the Wisconsin River.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:35 AM

La Paella--Spanish Food--paella, of course, as well as many seafood entrees and tapas. Does take Saturday reservations.

New Orleans Take Out--it is take out only, but good.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:39 AM

A really good restaurant is the Eldorado Grill. It's kind of over by the Essen Haus-- sorry, I can't think of directions. It's kind of Mexican/Southwest/Asian fusion. Very good.

I also like eating in the Portabella wine cellar-- go in the first door and take the stairs on your left down. Very casual-- pizzas and stuff.

On the way west side, there is Biaggi's for Italian, or Pedro's for Mexican. Are you taking highway 12 to Baraboo? Then these would be good options on your way home.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Eldorado Grill is on Williamson Street ("Willy Street"), not far from the Essenhaus. There's also a tiny Vietnamese restaurant a few blocks down Willy St. from the Eldorado - good food and a nice selection of vegetarian choices. Kitty-corner from the Vietnamese restaurant is another good place. The name escapes me right now (it used to be called Coyote Capers but I think it's changed). It's at the corner of Williamson and Few Streets, I believe.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:22 AM
JAS

The Blue Marlin has great fish and is my favorite restaurant in Madison!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM

If it is a nice night on Friday I would opt for the Great Dane Brew Pub over the Angleic. The Great Dane has a fantastic courtyard Garden that is realy a nice place to eat.

If you like Italian you could try tutto pasta on State St. or for Mexican Frida's on State St. is also good.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Two great restuarants in Madison that are moderately priced: Cafe Continental (European like) and Tornado Room (best stakes in Madtown). Angelic has great beer (award winning in fact)-but below average food. Another uniques dinning experience is the Orpheum (old 1930's movie house, same owner as T.Room) right on state street. All three of these restaurants are unique to Madison or any city for that matter. Baraboo has the beautiful Circus Wold Museum or due south to Milwaukee to there new award winning museum bythe lake.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Actually, Milwaukee is due east of Milwaukee. The art museum isn't new, but the addition designed by Calatrava is only a few years old.

Madison is a great town; I'd just stay there. Have a drink on the Union Terrace overlooking Lake Mendota.