Restaurants, etc. in Philadelphia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very last minute, we are going to Philadelphia this weekend. This trip came about because I would very much like to visit the Barnes Foundation. I have tix for Sun morning (they are closed on the 4th). I also would like to visit the Rodin museum and I did see yk's thread about the free museums from BOA. So, I will investigate that.

I need some restaurant recs. Amada is fully booked. Years ago, we ate in the White Dog Cafe and we liked it. Is that a good choice today? I would like very good food in a casual setting. Location doesn't matter as long as it's safe.

And lastly, is there anything special happening that locals could recommend doing for Fri or Sat?

Thanks, as always, for your help!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Oh centralparkgirl Im so glad youll be supporting the Barnes Foundation! Just this weekend I was at an event and some folks involved with the BF were discussing how when the pieces are moved its uncertain whether they will be arranged in the same way and that visitors might not get the same viewing experience which, they said, would be a shame. Ive got to get over there myself, actually. Its just around the corner from me so really there is no excuse! Anyway, I posted mainly just to agree that your timing is right on for visiting the BF!

I work in center city but my restaurant knowledge is nil-Im sorry I dont have a suggestion other than Bonte or Soho Pizza and Im pretty certain thats not what youre looking for Youll get lots of responses though.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Tinto
Rouge
Capital Grille
Pub/Kitchen
Fork

Fancy/my fav--The Fountain

Do you have a car? You can go to Main Street in Manayunk for an afternoon on the weekend.

www.manayunk.com

Thin
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM
yk

Hi CPG, there are definitely july 4th events in Philadelphia. Check the Events Calendear at gophila.com here:
http://www.gophila.com/phila/eventscalendar/

As for restaurants, you probably will enjoy any Stephen Starrs restaurants. Continental will be a fun place to eat and have a couple of martinis.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM
yk

Oh, please check out the 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia thread. Lots of great suggestions from the real locals (unlike me)
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...iladelphia.cfm
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Oh yk I *am* a local and I cant wait to scroll through that thread-thanks for posting!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If you were willing to go to University City for White Dog, I would recommend Distrito. I am pretty sure it was opened by the same guy that has Amada. Distrito has great small plate Mexican food. Casual, high energy. I have heard that White Dog quality has suffered in recent years.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:48 AM

When in Philadelphia, I always make a point of stopping in at Capogiro. Better gelati than I've ever had in Rome, Florence, Naples or anywhere else really. Truly amazing.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also check out this site for loads of info:

http://www.philadelphiausa.travel
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Also...The Welcome AMerica acitivites will be going on all weekend and don't forget the fireworks!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Hola centralparkgirl- though Amada is booked, you could always shoot for a seat/table at the bar area. Depending when you get there it may not be that bad. My 2 friends and I were able to belly up after about a 15 minute wait (And a sangria or two) - the cheese plate was worth it!

Agree re: Capogiro, I'd also add the Naked Chocolate Cafe for a pick-me-up. Amy will no doubt contribute to your choices here! Have a GREAT time, it's a fun place (I've a recent trip report if you click on my name)
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

NatureGirl - I'm really anxious to see the collection and hopefully we'll get on one of the docent led tours.

Birdie - thanks for the heads up on White Dog.

So it seems that the same guy did Tinto, Amada and DISTRITO. So Fork and Tinto it is - Thin, thanks for the recs as well as Birdie and AHaugeto.

bardo1 et al - capogiro is on the list as well as Naked Choc cafe.

schmerl - I read that the fireworks are near the museum. Can I assume that there will be huge crowds? I'd love to see them, but parking and fighting the crowds is not so appealing.

Any suggestions for a bakery/cafe that is special and quick for breakfast?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
naturegirl - Have they started the new building for the Barnes. (sorry my question mark key won't work) I wouldn't think the experience would be the same even if they did arrange them the same. Is there a projected move in date. I want to visit the old mansion one more time before they move.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM

RE: White Dog Cafe. Its long been a fave of mine when in Philly so this spring I took a whole group of folks there for dinner when in town for a conference. Everyone loved it so much, we all went back the next night, too, foregoing our previous plans to try another highly rated restaurant. The food was very fresh, warm atmosphere, attentive service (we had a number of folks on very specific diets), and the place was packed both nights. Definitely need reservations.

If you've enjoyed it in the past, you likely still will a great deal.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Yes...there will be huge crowds at the fireworks and the acitivities start early so crowds will be there throughout the day. Are you staying close enough to the museum area to walk?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM

Sheryl Crowe is performing before the fireworks so you can count on huge crowds.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

schmerl - we're staying at the Sheraton City Center on 17th and Race.

I read that fireworks start at 10:30. Does anyone know of a hotel with a roof top lounge in the area that would afford views of the fireworks? I don't believe the Sheraton has anything like that.

AHaugeto - read your report awhile ago - mucho entertaining!!