Reload this Page >

Restaurants/bars with the best views of New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:03 PM
Anne

Any suggestions for the best views, especially at nighttime would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Anne in Australia

Old May 26th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Wendy

Although the food could be better, the Windows on the World restaurant and bar is famous for its spectacular views of NYC and surrounding areas. Another restaurant would be the Rainbow Room in Midtown. If you want a true view of the NYC skyline you need to go to the outer boroughs the Brooklyn Promenade or the Long Island City part of Queens. If you're adventurous take the free Staten Island ferry as it pulls away from the downtown scenary. Go to www.zagat.com and NYC for a list of restaurants with great views.

Old May 27th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Tammy

The River Cafe, just across the bridge in Brooklyn, has a great view of lower Manhattan. New York Magazine listed the Pentop Bar as having the best out door view of Manhattan. It's on the roof of the Peninsula Hotel, which is located at 55th St. and 5th Ave. This is a great place for drinks, although expensive. You'll have a great view straight down 5th Ave

Old May 27th, 2001, 04:37 AM
jeannine

Take the ferry from the Jacob Javits convention center across to New Jersey. There are some restaurants in Weehawken with excellent views.--I know there is a Ruths Chris steakhouse.

Old May 27th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Susan

Anne:

Although, I have never been to the Rainbow Room or the River Cafe, I did just return from my first trip to NYC and had dinner at Windows on the World. I agree with the comment that the food could be better, but the view can not be beat! It is a incredible view of New York City. After dinner, we walked across the hall to the "Greatest Bar on Earth"-- that's the name of it. It also had wonderful views of the Harbor, etc... Enjoy your trip!

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Karen

We liked the restaurant at the top of Marriott Marquis, very good food and views. It is located in the theater district.

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:50 AM
John

Hi Anne:

You find that hotel to stay in yet? I use to go to the "yuppie" gathering spot on top of the "Peninsula Hotel" on 56st and Fifth(not quite sure of the street). Pick a nice warm night and take the elevator to the "Open Deck" You are almost in touching distance to the marvelous facades of the Rockerfeller Buildings. Worth the $15.00 Drinks

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Kayla

Hi Anne,
I'd skip dinner @ Windows on the World, and head straight to the Greatest Bar on Earth. No cover charge, just make sure you are dressed appropriately if after 5PM.
Marriott Marquis is nice-the restaurant/lounge revolves! Don't worry, you won't get sick...it moves slowly.
My favorite view is from the Brooklyn Bridge just at sunset. From City Hall, look for signs for the bridge and take a walk over it. About halfway out are lots of plaques w/information about the construction of the bridge and buildings beyond it. Once over the bridge (takes about 15 minutes to stroll over) check out one of the restaurants in Brooklyn Heights. Pete's is my favorite, though if budget allows, do try the River Cafe. After dinner you can walk the promenade and then head back into Manhattan.
I work in Jersey City, and never tire of the view from that side (take the PATH train one stop from the World Trade Center, the stop is Exchange Place). Unfortunately, there's not much to do on the other side in terms of dining with a view...the shore line is lined with office buildings.
Post if any questions. There are a lot of NYers on these boards, and you will find them very proud of their city, and very anxious to offer advice!

Old May 28th, 2001, 01:49 AM
Anne

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Yes, John, I have booked a hotel, decided on the Roger Williams in the end. Will post on the board my opinions when I return.
I like the idea of a revolving restaurant, having a couple of cocktails and soaking in the lights of New York. And the Peninsula sounds great too.
So what is the "in" cocktail at the moment? any ideas?

Anne in Australia

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:12 AM
John

Hi Anne:
Nothing wrong with the Rodger Williams! Just check out the rooms first! Some are configured differently. Tubs, stall showers, corner units...just ask! Not that I drink mind you....but someone told me that the "drink of the moment" is something called a "Cohiba" Not quite sure what it is but I think there is some fresh squeezed stuff (limes maybe!) and rum. Just ask the bartenders. Have a great time. Drop me an email if you want to meet for one!
John

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Geoff

You've already gotten good advice, but I can still add a little more.
Personally, the Queens or Brooklyn areas don't tend to give you as good a view as NJ. The view can be nice, but it tends to be more limited.

Also, Jersey City doesn't tend to be quite so dead, there are some restaurants in the lower part of the buildings next to Exchange Place. But Weehawken is the better bet, it has a kind of hill to be able to view above the ground. A specific suggestion there is Shanghai Reds, as long as its still around, since the location has changed ownership a few times.

Another idea not yet mentioned - one of the best views is had from the sea. Spirit of NY/Spirit of NJ cruises are a great way to see the city, particularly at night. You can catch that in Weehawken.

Old May 28th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Celeste

If looking out at Times Square from the third floor appeals to you, and especially if you like seafood, I'd consider Foley's Fishmarket at the Marriott's New York Renaissance Hotel at the north end of Times Square, entrance on Seventh Avenue. The food was quite good and the view was great even for two old New Yorkers!

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:34 PM
steve

Another place with nice views and not usually as filled with tourists is the Top of the Tower at the Beekman Tower Hotel. It's near the UN around 49th and 2nd.

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:04 PM
GOL

I'd second the Spirit of NY or Spirit of NJ (www.spiritcruises.com). One departs NY side and other NJ side (Weehawken).

Triple decker ship that serves food (not great, for sure) that also has entertainment (Broadway wannabees). The food ain't great and the entertainment is ok, but -- BUT - your view of the city is spectacular, as you cruise the HUdson, go around the Statue of Liberty, to the EAst river (including Brooklyn Bridge). You will be able to go to the top outside deck and sip what ever drink you want, looking at the city. They even have evening cruises (no food) that are really nice. You can drink, be outside, and see a very nice city skyline.

If you do go for dinner at Windows on the World, make sure you check sunrisesunset.com and make you reservation ~1hr before sunset so you can have both daylight and evening views of the city.

Good views can be from the observation deck at the World Trade Center (a.k.a, twin towers) www.wtc-top.com/ - The top of one tower is the observation deck, the other building has the restaurant (WOW).

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:00 AM
Ted Coffey

The Marriot Marquis is brilliant The top floor bar revolves 360 degrees every hour Get there before 9pm to avoid cover charges.Forget the restaurant -its overpriced Settle for a drink at the bar

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:05 PM
Floyd

Another nice option is the rooftop garden at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It should be open by now. Drinks are available and there may be music as well.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:54 PM
sue

The views from the top of the Metropolitan Mus sculpture garden
over central park is really special.
They serve light food. The water cafe (I think thats the name) in Long Island City is the best. You take a private boat to the restaurant from east 34th st. Not cheap but the views are the greatest.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Ess

The Beekman Tower Hotel on 49th Street and 1st Avenue has a bar/restaurant on the top floor (22nd floor or something?) with a great view over the east river. It's very art deco and they have a piano player. There are tables outside on the terrace as well. I used to live in the area and would often go there with friends for cocktails and to enjoy the view. We never dined there so I have no clue as to the food, but it was a great place for drinks. Makes you feel like Myrna Loy and William Powell drinking martinis. The view isn't as spectacular as Windows on the World, because you're not as high in the air, but it is more intimate and you get a sense that you're at someone's (pre-WWII) penthouse apartment overlooking the city.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 02:31 PM
anne

I've visited the Marriott Marquis, Windows on the World & Rainbow Room. I think the best view is from the Rainbow Room. All three - just get a drink, don't pay for dinner. The other suggestion about the Spirit of NY/NJ cruises is a really good one. Hope you have a good visit & enjoy your stay!

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:56 AM
al

i think your best bet would be to go to the NY waterway terminal on the west side of manhattan (in the 40's) and take the NY waterway ferry to a fantastic restaurant called 'arthur's landing' in weehawken, new jersey. it's right on the water and has a spectacular view of manhattan. if the weather is nice you might even be able to sit outside. if you eat dinner there, they will validate your boat ticket and you'll be refunded the cost of the ride over. note**-- arthur's landing is a bit pricey. if you'd like to spend less $$$, take a taxi to the 'chart house' restaurant nearby (formerly shanghai reds) with an equally great view and above-average food. if you're on a strict budget there's a 'houlihans' a little further down the same road. there's now an office or condo in front of ruths chris steak house, so the view isn't what it used to be.

NY waterway runs a free shuttle bus service to their pier from different parts of manhattan. you might want to check their website (www.nywaterway.com) for more info on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -