restaurant suggestions-mainly west village area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in New York the first weekend in May (first trip for him). I am having a hard time deciding which restaurants to try. Also, I need suggestions for places to go and have drinks after dinner, or even for a break during the day, since we will be walking around a lot. - maybe with some music but not dance clubish. Here are some places that I am considering. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yeah- we are staying at the Incentra Village located at 32 8th avenue between West 12th and Jane.

Lunch- want sort of inexpensive, on the go type places but with an "only in New York feel".
Momofuku
Lombardis or Johns on Bleecker for pizza
Hampton Chutney
Maybe dim sum in Chinatown- ideas?

Dinner- we might do expensive one night and then moderate the others
August
Mas
Spice Market
Tia Pol
Ino
Lupa

Brunch
Cornelia Street Cafe
Extra Virgin
Balthazar

Drinks-
APT
Chumleys
The Spotted Pig
Stanton Social
Schillers Liquor Bar
Hogs and Heiffers
Hotel bars?- 60 Thompson, Soho Grand, Hotel Gansvoort

Thanks in Advance!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Momofuko is in the East Village but I love it! Specialty is ramen noodles in broth with Berkshire pork on top, but they have some great appetizers including dumplings. Seating is mainly at the counter. Lots of chefs eat here and it is pretty inexpensive for New York with the special ramen costing $14. Lupa is great for dinner but you have to book way in advance or else go for walk-in when they open at 6pm. One of my favorites. Ino and Tia Pol excellent as well.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Momofuku rocks, and is definitely a must-do if you are in the neighborhood. Not sure if this would matter to you, but you sit on a stool at a bar to eat. I think it's fun, but might not be for everyone.
Extra Virgin is great for brunch and dinner, very pretty restaurant.
Cornelia Street Cafe is good for dinner, and they also have a downstairs jazz lounge. You might want to check out what's playing and that can be part of your after-dinner entertainment.
I would recommend Chumley's for lunch as "an only in NY feel" place. It's got a really cool history, and some of the best burgers in NYC, IMO.
Balthazar has an excellent brunch, make sure you have reservations far in advance. Another good brunch spot is Five Points.
www.menupages.com is a great resource for finding restaurants. You can sort by nabe and cuisine. Good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Make dinner reservation in advance on the more popular places. Some of those places are quite popular. ALso make a reservatino for Balthazar brunch.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM

tiffpolm, would you mind advising how the Incentra was when you stay there? It sounds interesting but I haven't read many reviews of it. Many thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM

Try Markt for dinner. Right near Spice Market.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:44 AM

We enjoyed August. Perhaps because DH's niece,aspiring actress is a waitress there??
Honestly, it was very good, great atmosphere.