Restaurant suggestion in Hawaii

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant suggestion in Hawaii

My husband and I are going to Hawaii in early March for the first time. We are staying at the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island and the Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui. I would like to get restaurants suggestions for nice places that aren't too expensive (<$100/for 2 with wine) if that is possible. We like seafood, italian, mexican, american - waterfront would be nice but we are pretty much open to any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM

My favorite up that way is "Roy's" in the shopping center near the Hilton.
There is also a restaurant in that shopping center called "big island steak house?" My husband got ribs there, and they were wonderful. That shopping center is about all the retail you will find up in the Waikaloa area. (unless you drive inland to the town)
You can look it up online...it's Pacific "fusion". If you drive into Kona town, there are many low cost options. One of my favorites is Huggos in Kona, right on the water. It's within your budget. Have you picked up the great guide "Big Island Revealed"? It has awesome reviews, and maps to everything! Your best bet in Hawaii is seafood.
Also, a nice drive is up to Waimea, and there are some dining uptions up that way.
We drove up to Hawi and ate lunch at the chinese/thai? place called...(help me Fodorites!) Bamboo? It is in a old (remodeled) boarding house. It might still be there.
Have fun! You will LOVE the beaches at your hotel. Get the book and learn all you can.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM

On the Big Island don't miss Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae -- about 20 minutes north of the Orchid. Excellent food, service and well under $100 for 2. Also Merriman's Market Cafe at Kings' Shops (<$100 and sit inside if possible -- the yellow patio lighting makes food look terrible), Roy's at Kings' Shops (around $100).

There's also Merriman's in Waimea but dinner for 2 with drinks will run over $100. If you're careful about ordering you can get in under $100 (not by much) at many of the Kohala Coast restaurants: Pahu'ia, Brown's Beach House, Coast Grille etc, which run from $80-150 for 2.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:58 AM

beachkomer: Yes it's called Bamboo.

Our last meal at Big Island Grille was very disappointing. Bad service, our silverware and tablecloth were dirty, and they have a cook who's idea of calling completed orders is to scream a quarterback-type "HUH!!!" which reverberates throughout the restaurant every 30 seconds.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM
MaureenB

In Kona, for a great fresh fish sandwich, try Kona Inn. You can sit right at the water, and it's a good value-priced meal. We also found a nice restaurant, I think by the same owners, at the golf course just south of The Orchid. Also have been to Roy's, which is nice for a bit more money. And we had a very nice lunch at Cafe Pesto.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:38 AM

We at at the Coast Grill at the Hapuna, which is where we stayed. It was nice and good views.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Yes, the Big Island Grill could go eithe way. Once we were crammed into a table right next to an obnoxious couple, the other time we got a view of the "lake".

There is a Chinese food place in that shopping mall too. We didn't go.
And Cerlaurie, if you want to see a big resort, the Hilton is huge. It might be fun just to walk around, see the dophins swimming in their lagoon. We had two great meals at the Provision company there at the Hilton, but it might run over that $100 magic number!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM

sorry, replied to the wrong post!!!!

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM

As far as the Big Island goes we absolutely LOVE Roy's and Merrimans Market Cafe, which are both at the Kings Shops in Waikaloa Beach Resort - only 10 minutes south of you. I would stay away from Big Island Steak house as it gets reviews all over the map from terrible to OK - you can probably get better Steak & Seafood at the Orchid.

At the Hilton there is a great Tepanyaki & Japanesse place called Imari, or the Donatello's Italian restaurant which is highly rated - both are on the expensive side with $35 area entrees but that would get you close to the $100 area - might be worth a splurge for one night.

Ke'ei Cafe, now in Kainiliu, is a great South Kona find - also a great stop on the way back from the Volcano if you are coming up from South Point back to Kohala...
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I don't know if it will meet your definition of "nice," but the Kona Brewery has very good beer and very good gourmet pizza (think goat cheese and pine nuts).
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM

OH YEAH, now you're talkin'!! Love the Kona Brew Co. The pizza is great. We stopped for one last meal on our way to the airport!

I know that some people don't like the the Hilton, (because it's so big) but would be a great place to walk around before dinner, just to see it. I have stayed here twice, and would go back. The Italian place there looks Wonderful!! Also the Japanese looked good, with open windows and koi pond.
As stated here before in posts, the Bubba Gump in Kona is spotty in terms of service and food. Don't say you haven't been warned! Nice view of the ocean while you're waiting forever for your server.....
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:32 PM
jgg

When staying in Wailea we love Roy's in Kihei , Joe's Bar and Grill (in the Wailea Tennis Club), KKO in Kihei, Sensei in Kihei (great sushi and inexpensive), Hailimaile General Store in Makawao (about a 40 minute drive), and Caffe Ciao at the Kea Lani is a great place for a more casual dinner there. Also, there are several restuarants at the Shops at Wailea. Our favorite is probably Tommy Bahamas - it is worth just getting a piece of their Key Lime Pie. Nick's (at the Kea Lani) is fabulous but very expensive, we always make it our farewell dinner.

You will love the Kea Lani. The little Cafe near the pool also has great food for lunch.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM

jgg,
are you talking about Maui?
Cerlaurie is going to the Big Island.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. These sound great!

Beachkomer, we are going to both the BI and Maui. We do plan to check out the Hilton - it was one of the places we were thinking about staying at so I am curious about it.

Any other suggestions??
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I ate at Sansei in Maui. They have great food (even for a picky eater as I am) and offer some type of early bird special.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM
MaureenB

We have stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa twice. It's very nice for what it is-- a large self-sufficient resort that has its benefits, and you don't need to leave the resort for anything, although its restaurants get expensive for everyday eating.

If you don't have kids, I'd recommend you stay at the Orchid for sure. It's a very upscale and romantic place. Where the Hilton is more a family place with all its pool slides, etc., and you might feel overwhelmed with kids. The nearby Mauna Lani is also a nicer place for more an adult crowd.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Both times we stayed at the Hilton there were some kids there, but it was never a problem. It wasn't like there were water balloon fights over chaise or anything! I didn't mind watching the kids play. The pool over by the Ocean tower was nice and quiet and had water slides that my husband tried! There was rarely anyone around. There is even a bar over there. We snagged a cabana and it was quite luxurious feeling...yes it is big, but there is always something to see and I loved our view from our room out to the mountains, and overlooking the golf course. I'm getting all misty just thinking about it. (deep sigh) I wish I was there, winter is getting old.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

We are leaving in less than 3 weeks. Any more suggestions? Also, trying to decide where to go on each island for a special dinner. We were thinking about Brown's Beach House on the Big Island and Mama's Fish House on Maui. I have read lots of good reviews for Mama's but haven't seen too much about Brown's Beach House. What about dinner cruises?? Thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Cerlaurie we are also going to the BI and will arrive Fb.26th. for 2 weeks. Can hardly wait to find some warm sunshine.
I would highly recommend Pahul'a at the Four Seasons for your special meal. We ate their last year and it was wonderful. Ask for a table closest to the water. We also really enjoy Roy's, Merriman's in Waimea, and Canoe House but Pahul'a is by far our favourite. Have a great time. This is our 5th visit and we love it.

Might also suggest Nick's Fishmarket at the Kea Lani.. we ate their a couple of years ago and the food and especially the service was amazing.

One other thing we like to do is go to some of the hotels for a drink and pupus to watch the sunset. The Muana Kea is especially nice for this. Maybe we will see you there. If you have any other questions please ask. The Orchid is a lovely Hotel.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I second Merriman's in Waimea on the Big Island. Fresh, local ingredients prepared very well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information