Restaurant recommendations NYC

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 12:44 PM
sue

Restaurant recommendations NYC

My family will be in nyc in December. I would appreciate restaurant recommendations for 1. Lunch/Brunch pre matinee le miz; 2. Dinner after Cabaret; 3. rest of nights nothing planned total six nights in town; staying at Grand Hyatt. Conciege keeps telling me about safe (expensive) choices. Would like to try lesser known but great food places. My two kids (young adults are picky eaters so would be waste of time and money for truffles, sea urchins, etc. I'm thinking of greek, italian, french bistro, seafood, american etc. Also, the staff at the hotel recommended Asia de Cuba (?) and Churrascaria Plataform (?) Any comments? Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Patrick

Staying at the Grand Hyatt, the restaurants at Grand Central Station are very convenient. The oyster bar is very good (but not cheap) for just about the biggest selection of seafood you can imagine. Michael Jordan's Steakhouse is superb and might appeal to the kids (but again not cheap).
See other postings about Becco, great for after Cabaret or any other show. I prefer it after theatre because it's not so crowded and pressured as trying to do it before. Hard to imagine the kids not liking the pastas, and they give you all you can eat of three different ones, so if one fails, they can get more of the other two. Also you can call exactly one week ahead (and you need to do that) for after theatre at Joe Allen's. Good American fare including super hamburgers (which may not be on the menu-but ask and they do them)at reasonable prices in a "cellar-like" atmosphere. It's very popular with theatre folk (actors and crew as well as theatre-goers). Rene Pujol is a classic, country French place, closes at 10:00, but has an excellent pre-theatre menu. For real casual fun, try either the Heartland Brewery for buffalo burgers and good micro beer, or Virgil's Real Bar-B-Q. I consider myself an expert on Bar-B-Q, and Virgil's matches the best Texas or North Carolina places.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 01:58 PM
sue

Thanks for the reply. The concierge said she doesn't like either Michael Jordan's or Oyster Bay. I thought they sounded good and convenient. This is why I'm getting soooooo confused!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:03 PM
howard

Patrick has given you an excellent rundown of some good restaurants. He did a much better job than the hotel concierge!
If your kids like ribs, then Virgil's is definitely the place. And, as Patrick also said, Becco's pasta special should really appeal to them.
Definitely make reservations at Becco's right away if you decide to go (212-397-7597).

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Caitlin

1. Asia de Cuba: not recommended for young, picky eaters; it's Asian-Latin American fusion food that might be a little weird for them, in a pretty adult atmosphere.
2. Churrascaria Plataforma: Can be a lot of fun, especially if you're big meat eaters. It's a Brazilian rodizio, fixed price (around $30 for dinner), and all you can eat. There is a huge salad bar with prepared slads, fruit and hot dishes, too. That's just to start. Then the meat: waiters come around with large skewers of grilled meats of all kinds (but especially different cuts of beef), and slice you off portions if you want what they have. They just keep coming until you tell them to stop.
3. Grand Central Terminal. The Oyster Bar is a classic and good choice for seafood only, not steep but not inexpensive. Michael Jordan's has had good reviews in the local press, is not at all the theme restaurant it sounds like, and is expensive. What you should absolutely consider in GCT, especially as you're staying at the Grand Hyatt right there, is the Dining Concourse. This is like a food court, but NOT the mall type with fast food joints. The restaurants are all offshoots of respected Manhattan places, and there is a wide variety that should please everyone: pizza, Mexican, Indian, southern, deli, sushi, bakery, ice cream, etc. and prices are extremely reasonable.

Some other thoughts:
Greek: Uncle Nick's on Ninth Ave. near 51st St. Casual, affordable, good food.
French bistro: La Bonne Soupe, 48 W. 55th St., between Fifth and Sixth Aves. Good fixed-price lunch deals and affordable dinner menu with all the bistro classics plus fondues, also casual.
Japanese: Ya Bowl, 125 W. 45th St., between Sixth and Seventh Aves. A pretty, casual restaurant with very fresh, well-prepared food; the emphasis is not sushi but simple grilled dishes (teriyaki, etc.) served with salads and dishes based on noodles (hence the bowl part). Bonus: good European-style cakes for dessert (owner lived in Vienna). entrees $15 and under.
Patrick's suggestions for Becco for post-theater and Joe Allen's and Virgil's for brunch, lunch, or dinner are good. Be sure to make reservations for pre- or post-theater meals.

Moving beyond (below) midtown:
Seafood: Blue Water Grill, corner of 16th St. and Union Square West (Broadway). In a big old converted bank, very nice setting, nice0casual, pricey for lunch but moderate for dinner, entrees $15-20. Only a few non-seafood entrees, but they are good (so says my non-fish eating other half). Make reservations for dinner.
3 American:
1. Gramercy Tavern front room, 20th St. between Broadway and Park Ave South. Menu served from lunch through to late dinner, entrees top out at around $18 and start much lower. No reservations and a wait develops around 7 pm. Great way to experience a bit of one of the city's top restaurants without the high cost or the truffles, sea urchins, etc. Great food and room, not dressy but also not super-casual.
2. Chat'n Chew, 16th St. between Union Square West and Fifth Ave. Casual, moderate, classic American comfort food (burgers, mac and cheese, etc.) done well. Good for any meal.
3. The Tomato, Sixth avenue at 20th St., again, casual, moderate American done well.

And further below midtwon: consider a Little Italy and/or Chinatown walk to see the sights, and then eat there. In Chinatown, a good place that's a hit with all ages is New York Noodletown.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:50 PM
sue

Does anyone have an opinion on an excellent Italian Restaurant that not as expensive as Il Mulino ,maybe I trulli and has anyone eaten at Ithaka or Le Colonial?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Caitlin

I Trulli is Excellent but definitely not cheap. Ithaka is also excellent.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 09:59 AM
Cheryl

If you enjoy sightseeing while restaurant shopping I suggest you either take a cab or subway (if you're brave) and go into Little Italy. You can't find a bad place there for real Italian food. South Street seaport area is good for lunch too.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 11:57 AM
Christina

There's a decent French bistro in the theater district that I think you might like, it has very moderate prices and is in the first or second block just east of Broadway in mid40s. I think it is Cafe Un Deux Trois on w. 44th St. I've eaten in there for dinner and think I saw some kids in there.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:07 PM
igot

Asia de Cuba is awesome. We ate there
last week. the decor is very hip. The place is very trendy, martinis at the bar are unbelievable and the food is delicious. Try seared tuna, it is a must. I can't say enough good things about that place, it is like being at
the club and restaurant at the same time. Except for tuna, the menu is not
very impressive but who cares about food when the atmosphere is so chic.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:25 PM
hamlet

For seafood, I like Blue Water Grill too, as a previous poster recommended. However, also good, but less trendy, is Dock's which is about 3 blocks from the Grand Hyatt. Also down the block from the hotel is Osteria Laguna which is the sibling of Osteria al Doge, which is located in the theatre district and has been recommended before on this forum by myself and others. I disagree with the idea that a good Italian meal can be had in little Italy, as does my beau, who does not participate in the forum, but is an Italian "right off the boat." For eating out in NYC for the entire month of December I recommend making reservations whenever possible, regardless of the time you plan to eat.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 03:12 PM
steve

You've gotten some excellent advise so far and here's a little more:
In the Grand Central area Cafe Centro is a big, attractive place with good food and service.
Brasserie on 53rd is a visual delight--it just reopened and has won lots of design awards--might be a good place for brunch/lunch.
Chez Josephine would be a good after theatre choice.
Orso is a good Italian place in the theatre district--it's sometimes hard to get a reservation there however.
Two places side by side(same owner) across from Carnegie Hall that are pretty reliable are Red-Eye Grill(lots of seafood) and Trattoria Delle Arte(Italian).

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 02:39 PM
laura

I recommend Russian Vodka Room. Great Russian food, not expensive. It's good for kids too, as the food is not too exotic. A cosy and lively atmosphere in the evening, live piano playing. Very popular in the evening, so get reservations. It's approximately a block or two away from Broadway, on W 53 str I believe.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 07:07 AM
lisa

Hi Sue. A few suggestions:

John's Pizzeria has a location in the theatre district, somewhere in the west 40s -- great New York-style pizza and kid-friendly atmosphere.

Joe Allen is an old standby in the theatre district, good "American" fare -- the menu ranges from chicken, fish, steak to salads, soups, and pastas, and the prices are medium by Manhattan standards. You will occasionally see actors here.

There is a restaurant in midtown called La Bonne Soupe (French bistro fare) that has very good inexpensive fixed-price meals that include soup or salad, main course and dessert. I think it's in the west 50s.

I also enjoy one of the places mentioned earlier called Cafe Un Deux Trois (again, French bistro fare).

s