Reload this Page >

Restaurant near Faneuil Hall ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 1999, 04:09 PM
Jason

First time in Boston - looking for a place with good food and atmosphere to eat on a Friday night. Will be in Faneuil Hall in the early evening, so something in that area would be great. Any ideas?

Old May 23rd, 1999, 04:41 PM
Donna

There are dozens of restaurant with every cuisine imaginable within walking distance. Or, you can eat your way through the incredible "food court" at Quincy Marketplace. If you love Italian Food, the North End is within walking distance. It's best to have reservations on a Friday night. Check out www.boston.sidewalk.com. You have a hard time deciding.

Old May 24th, 1999, 06:15 AM
Lee

Donna's recommendations above are good ones. It is nearly impossible to have a bad meal in that area (Boston's food is legendary).

Two famous restaurants that are frequented by we locals, as well as tourists are Durgan Park, right in Quincy Market and the Union Oyster House, just around the corner. Durgan Park has great family-style food, very casual, cheap. Union Oyster House has incredible seafood, lots of "olde Boston" atmosphere, not so cheap.

Old May 24th, 1999, 07:11 AM
Peter

I respectfully disagree with Lee; these two "Boston institutions" aren't what they used to be, and I would avoid them. I totally agree with Donna--head for the North End.

Old May 24th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Ann

Oh Oh...I don't want to start a war here or anything, but I'm a local and I dine at Durgan Park at least once or twice a year, especially when I have out of town guests. They've always been delighted, even my guests from Paris who loved the prime rib (one of the famous entres), and you MUST have indian pudding with ice cream for dessert!

I had lunch at the Union Oyster House a few weeks ago and it was great! Lots of Olde Boston atmosphere and delicious seafood. Prices seemed about average for that kind of food (i.e. not cheap).

I also had a meal at the Bay Tower Room at 60 State St. a few months ago. That is really really expensive but the view of the harbor is just the best! I'm sure others will chime in with how they don't like that place either!

Good luck where ever you decide to dine. I'm sure you'll find a place you enjoy.

Old May 24th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Donna

When "dining" at Durgin Park, it helps to know what to expect. And, it's no longer "cheap" (dinner for two not long ago, three courses, $60). We loved the Union Oyster house for the historical value and ambience, but certainly not the food, which we thought was way overpriced for the quality. Service lacking also. Makes Legal Seafood seem like a real bargain. But, we absolutely love the Bay Tower Room. Top notch (but not snooty) service, excellent food, spectacular views, beautiful room and table settings. You'd want to be dressed up to go there and reservations are essential. The lounge on the mezzanine with the orchestra is fabulous for an after dinner drink/coffee.