Restaurant and shopping help in Pensacola

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family used to go to Pensacola Beach every summer growing up and now I am returning for the first time in over 20 years. My husband and I are going in June and will be staying at the Hilton Gulf front. I would love recommendations for the best restaurants (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in the Pensacola Beach/Pensacola area. We have heard about Elise Coastal Dining but would like other suggestions.

Also I would like to know about interesting shopping and sightseeing spots in the area. I remember an old square in Pensacola with cute shops and restaurants-is that still there or is there something similar? Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:11 AM

You are thinking of Seville Square. Yes, it is still there, with shops, restaurants, and several museums.

If you haven't already, check out

www.visitpensacola.com

for a calendar of events taking place while you are there, as well as info on things to do.

Aegean Breeze in Gulf Breeze (the town between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach) is popular. They have Greek food but also other things.

One of the places in Pensacola that is popular with locals is Joe Patti's Seafood (there is a fish market with a sushi counter, as well as a sit-down restaurant next door; the fish market will steam seafood you buy there, such as shrimp). Located off Main Street at South A Street (on Pensacola Bay)

There's also Marina Oyster Barn at 505 Bayou Boulevard, east of downtown on Bayou Texar. It is closed on Mondays.

Another place is Chet's, at 3708 West Navy Boulevard in West Pensacola. You might consider it if you go to the Naval Air Station/Naval Aviation Museum.

None of these three is fancy, but they serve great seafood at good prices.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM

I second the recommendation for Aegean Breeze in Gulf Breeze. One of our favorite restaurants; ate there last night. It's closed on Sundays. As Cranachin said, it's not just Greek food. Excellent fresh seafood served a variety of ways. Excellent steaks and a hamburger big enough for two made from beef they grind fresh themselves.

Also in Gulf Breeze, in the same shopping center as the Publix, is Shan Kishi. Very good sushi, hibachi tables, and a regular menu.

There aren't a lot of choices for breakfast in the Island. Lots of locals and tourists eat at Native Cafe in a strip center on Via de Luna. Walking distance from the Hilton. I've heard good things about their fish tacos, also, but don't have any firsthand experience with those. Have only eaten lunch there once.

Yes, that's Seville Square, and there are still several restaurants and shops there. Tre Fratelli has very good Italian and Hub Stacy's has wonderful sandwiches. Both overlook Seville. On Thursday nights there are free concerts in the Square, called Evenings in Old Seville. When we go, we stake out our spot in the square then one of us walks over to Hub's and brings back sandwiches.

There are also free concerts on the beach on Tuesday nights, Bands on the Beach, at the Gulf front Pavilion. Another easy walk from the Hilton, either along the beach, or the sidewalk. Very popular, so get there early to grab one of the permanent bench seats if you don't have folding chairs or a blanket to sit on. The Dock (bar and restaurant) keeps the kitchen open late on Tuesdays to serve the concert crowd. Tasty burgers and slaw dogs.

If you feel compelled to eat at Peg Leg Pete's, because it's the thing to do, just know it's crazy busy at night and on the weekends. I only eat there in the off-season unless we have out-of-town company. Then we go for lunch during the week. My favorite is their grouper nuggets, although my daughter swears they have the best blackened grouper sandwich around.

East of Gulf Breeze (out Highway 98) is a Hawaiian restaurant - Aloha Grill, best kahlua pork I've had since we went to Hawaii years ago. It's about as far as going into Pensacola would be. Closed on Sunday. A bit hard to find (in a little strip mall) but if you want better directions I'll be happy to give them.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have more questions.

Enjoy my island home. You may not want to wait 20 years to come back again.

Fran
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM

Aw, Fran, Aloha Grill isn't THAT hard to find!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:57 AM

Maybe it's my directions, then. ;-) Whatever, it's worth the effort to get there, IMHO.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of these suggestions. We are really looking forward to our trip!